GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,506
1 members and 1,505 guests
MSKKG

Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Damn, whatever. It's funnier my version lol
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Not that you're creeping or anything
If it takes less than 3 clicks, it's not stalking.

I used to work for a large internet company as a project manager; our key phrase was "3 clicks to paydirt," meaning if a user couldn't find the info or tool they needed in 3 clicks or less, they were more likely to abandon the site.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM

I visited UF often back when I was in college so I know a lot about their greek system and the "tiers." I have to say if those girls are really UF DGs, then that chapter has really let some slip-throughs into their house.....

Yeah, I said it.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
I'm not going to lie, I can see why people are angry but I thought it was funny. Let's be honest, this type of thing happens behind closed doors pretty often. It was incredibly stupid for them to think that there would be no reprocussions if they made it public, and I fully fault them for that. But if this had been a pump-up song before recruitment that had stayed within the chapter I would have had no problem with it. I know that's probably a controversial view on this board, but a little competition can be fun and get people riled up.

I did a little "research" (aka a gossip site) and the sororities they mention are their biggest competitors during recruitment. If they had been doing this to struggling chapters I would have been upset, but this seems like friendly rivalry (albeit classless friendly rivalry). I personally would have been amused and not too upset if a sorority had mentioned my chapter in a similar song, especially because I would have made the assumption based on the other chapters mentioned that we were seen as competitors by DG.

So to sum up my argument, incredibly stupid and classless to make this public. But I don't have any issues with the song persay...it is pretty obvious to me it was in jest and not malicious.

And count me in with the group that has been saying if boys did this it wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.
Clearly. I think they got themselves in more trouble than they bargained for! We did more non-panhellenic crap that was not malicious in the least but would sure sound like it to an outsider (that's why you made sure an outsider NEVER heard it!)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Found the names of the girls in the video through a gossip site...
One was "Miss University of Florida" and auditioned for american idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPv0...eature=related

(when you're snowed into your apartment you have a lot of time to search around)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheviolets View Post

(when you're snowed into your apartment you have a lot of time to search around)
She needs to stick to singing instead of whatever is going on in "On a boat"

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
I visited UF often back when I was in college so I know a lot about their greek system and the "tiers." I have to say if those girls are really UF DGs, then that chapter has really let some slip-throughs into their house.....

Yeah, I said it.
Every chapter has had some slip-throughs.

I won't proclaim that these young ladies are slip-throughs (not like I know what it takes to be a DG, anyway) just because some people are offended by their shenanigans.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheviolets View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Not exactly the image Brooke projected when she was on american idol.
You're three pages and nearly 24 hours late on this.

Let the record show I called this one first. Again.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

These girls are well-known in the UF Greek community. One was Social Chair for DG, the other ran for American Idol and was Ms. UF, and I'm not too sure about the chubby brunette. But either way, I doubt they'll get expelled from the chapter. Just heavy fining or some kind of probation.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Every chapter has had some slip-throughs.

I won't proclaim that these young ladies are slip-throughs (not like I know what it takes to be a DG, anyway) just because some people are offended by their shenanigans.
Nah, not offended. My chapter had songs that were far worse (we just knew how to keep them a secret ). But the brunette and one of the blondes do not look like the UF DGs that I remember...
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=APhiAnna;1877104]

I did a little "research" (aka a gossip site) and the sororities they mention are their biggest competitors during recruitment. If they had been doing this to struggling chapters I would have been upset, but this seems like friendly rivalry (albeit classless friendly rivalry). I personally would have been amused and not too upset if a sorority had mentioned my chapter in a similar song, especially because I would have made the assumption based on the other chapters mentioned that we were seen as competitors by DG.

QUOTE]

Chances are that we went to the same "research" site. Where their names were posted, along with the American Idol Hopeful, one of the girls is an Officer for the chapter. Apparently this was a "bid day video" they made to show all the their new girls. "It was never supposed to get leaked." - Obviously
Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I am quite familiar with UF these days and I am able to compare to numerous years going quite far back. There has always been competition between the houses, but it was more of a healthier competition for lack of better words. The women presented themselves more like young ladies and anything in poor taste was behind closed doors as already stated.

What I have noticed is more of an extreme or bolder competition as of recent. There appears to be more of a battle for the "select" pnms these days and also the need to declare that your org is the top house. I don't like to say that a certain young lady should not be in "such and such" group (or slipped through) because of how she looks. Times have changed at UF and not all the "so-called" gorgeous women are admitted to the University as in years past. It is a much more average pool of pnms these days when it comes to looks and I believe that is one reason for the increased competition. The entering women are truly intelligent on a much greater scale. I feel this creates that greater need to compete on so many levels. It goes on all year long.

I find this video disappointing, but it does not shock me. I find them to be foolish and a poor representation of their group on campus. I hope people learn from this in all of the orgs.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Exactly how common are these types of songs? My chapter never had any when I joined and still doesn't. I've never heard of such things before.

ZTAngel-You said what I was thinking...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I am really frustrated...can't find it on youtube. Anyone care to tell me what I should search under? I think I am youtube challenged.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I guess we're too late. I've been searching on and off for about 20 min, too. They must have taken it down by now.

TEII