Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 930
0 members and 930 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

I guess these rules, partially written in jest or not, serve a purpose.

I was more perplexed by the notion of PNMs figuratively having to "flirt" with sorority members in terms of dress and demeanor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen11 View Post
um, wow. i can't tell if you're kidding, but i hope you are!

unless i am specifically writing to a professor, boss or other authority figure, i almost never capitalize in emails or other informal means of communication. as part of a generation that has grown up communicating via AIM, texting, facebook, etc., i find it a normal practice to get to the point and be less than concerned about what is properly capitzalized. at least i use punctuation and proper spelling, which is more than i can say for many people my age!
Very true and it makes me weep for the future.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I guess these rules, partially written in jest or not, serve a purpose.

I was more perplexed by the notion of PNMs figuratively having to "flirt" with sorority members in terms of dress and demeanor.
The flirting didn't refer to dress when I mentioned it at all, and it wasn't even about anything sexual or romantic, just to be clear. I think that other people using the term right here mean it like I do.

It referred to the ways that conversationally a rusher will pay complete attention to her PNM and make her feel as if the PNM is the most interesting person going through recruitment and that she belongs at that particular sorority.

Similarly, a PNM would be wise to reciprocate giving the sorority member her undivided attention and pretend to be interested in the group.

Like actual flirting, there may be or may not be any real interest, but both parties want to be regarded as charming and desirable, albeit not sexually.

ETA: I certainly don't mean to assume that all NPC recruitments are identical, but I think that this dynamic is in play a lot of places when there are multiple groups doing formal on campuses where the groups are primarily social in nature. This model probably seems absurd to people from open bidding campuses or members of other more service-minded councils.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 01-26-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

I knew it wasn't sexual.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I knew it wasn't sexual.
Cool. I thought someone (not you) might take it in a pre-hazing direction, like they test the PNMS to see how they'll act around frat boys.

There are some belles, southern or otherwise, who could pull off actually rushing someone like sororities do in a sustained real life situation, but for the rest of us, it's pretty event specific.

It's a nice skill to have to turn on for interviews, meeting new people, etc. But it doesn't translate completely to most real life situations.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post

It's a nice skill to have to turn on for interviews, meeting new people, etc. But it doesn't translate completely to most real life situations.
Yeah, except I would call it networking rather than flirting. Flirting's definitely a gendered (and "cutesy") depiction of the interactions among adults.

But, I don't doubt that you all definitely know what you're talking about. I'm just an NPHCer who is trying to vision it in relation to my experiences.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
I pretty much love all of the rules, and the style with which the recruitment chair presents them.

I can't stand that, in the comments, some idiot says "Pi Phi isn't even a good sorority at Cornell," as if that even means anything. What. A. Moron.
1. it shows if you print out stuff like that don't put your chapter on it.
(cause we all do it in some way shape of form it may not be that specific...and those who don't should probably consider it)

2. Pi Phi is top rushing chapter at Cornell...top quartile for sure.
it will be interesting to see what if anything happens to their rush strength (and leggings)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, we can be sure that no Cornell PNM is going to walk into Pi Phi wearing ugly leggings, fuck me pumps, or anything satin SO HELP THEM GOD!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, except I would call it networking rather than flirting. Flirting's definitely a gendered (and "cutesy") depiction of the interactions among adults.

But, I don't doubt that you all definitely know what you're talking about. I'm just an NPHCer who is trying to vision it in relation to my experiences.
Oh course, I don't know about the NPHCs, but I think that you all are more professional in your approach to things. My impression is that intake is a lot more like a job interview, selective service club (or honorary society) interview.

Recruitment is one area where, depending on the kind of NPC recruitment, the actual face to face contact is likely to copy a purely social event rather than a job or a service interview. (Certain NPCs recruitment maybe even odder than that because there are skits and songs.) It IS cutesy in a lot of ways.

The tone of the whole deal is just different.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the more detailed the recruitment clothing lists and dress checks are, the better. I've seen things that would make you cry. Loved the bit about remembering that 'you're trying to impress girls, not guys!' So perfect!

Heading back to my rocking chair now.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the more detailed the recruitment clothing lists and dress checks are, the better. I've seen things that would make you cry. Loved the bit about remembering that 'you're trying to impress girls, not guys!' So perfect!

Heading back to my rocking chair now.
I agree. I really really like this list because it's so specific and it leaves nothing to interpretation.

I went through Rush 10 years ago THIS MONTH! Have times changed that much?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I also don't think it is that bad. I graduated at a time that if you went into the business world, you had to wear a "dress for success uniform"-very specific down to length of skirt, color of suit, jewelry, hair, nails, makeup. This isn't any different. But I did get a chuckle out of her command not to cake on the black eye makeup because they were not there to seduce lacrosse players (laxers).
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
But I did get a chuckle out of her command not to cake on the black eye makeup because they were not there to seduce lacrosse players (laxers).
I loved that too. I could just hear our rush chairs saying something like that. "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THE PHI SIGMA KAPPA HOUSE LADIES."
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen11 View Post
um, wow. i can't tell if you're kidding, but i hope you are!

unless i am specifically writing to a professor, boss or other authority figure, i almost never capitalize in emails or other informal means of communication. as part of a generation that has grown up communicating via AIM, texting, facebook, etc., i find it a normal practice to get to the point and be less than concerned about what is properly capitzalized. at least i use punctuation and proper spelling, which is more than i can say for many people my age!
Is it so difficult to press the Shift key?

FYI, if you ever work in a corporate setting, be aware that email is considered fairly formal and thus deserves proper capitalization. Some people even use salutations!

Oh and if you are going to claim proper spelling, you should probably spell check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
So are you refusing to use proper capitalization on principle? As an act of solidarity?
I thought the same thing. Very odd.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Well, we can be sure that no Cornell PNM is going to walk into Pi Phi wearing ugly leggings, fuck me pumps, or anything satin SO HELP THEM GOD!
Absolutely. If I had seen a list like this when I was a PNM, I would've felt like I had a serious advantage over PNMs who hadn't seen such a list. If you already know how the sisters are expected to dress, and you dress to meet those expectations, you're already one step ahead.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just saw the Yahoo writeup of this story...not exactly flattering to Greeks!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...amp-39-636982/

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.