Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,318
2 members and 1,316 guests
3DGator, John

Old 06-19-2005, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spoiledpoodle
if you want to be real technical the men of phi beta sigma were the first to ever twirl the cane. learn your history
Most seasoned Greeks know this.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mekka_NUPE
Kappa Kanes

The use of walking sticks and canes may very well date back to centuries B.C. to the times when shepherds would tend to their flocks. This ties into the early roots of Christianity and leads to the candy canes of today being striped the way they are (3 thin stripes and 1 solid stripe) to remind us of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost and the blood of Christ. The shape was believed to be chosen because the cane, if pointed upward, resembles the letter "J" for Jesus. The history of the cane also ties in with the African Rights of Passage, and was a symbol of manhood that had to be carried by initiates wishing to become adult members of their respective tribe.

Dealing more directly with the evolution of the cane and how it relates to the Fraternity, canes started off as a device used to assist people with walking difficulties, and later turned into social status symbols for society. In the 1700's and 1800's, canes were a fashion embellishment. One "wore" a cane. These old canes were decorative, objects to be admired and be proud of. They became collectors items and represented the true sign of a Gentleman.

Members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity have always worn or carried canes since the beginning of the Fraternity in 1911. It was a form of protection in the early 1900's, think about it the last lynching in Bloomington, IN was in 1956 what do you think they were doing to black males in 1911? Although unintentional in its inception, this occurrence soon became an unofficial tradition of Kappa men, as Kappas have always strived to be noble and productive members of the community. The cane, being the symbol of a Gentlemen who exhibits such characteristics, was then proudly adorned by members of our Fraternity.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
Most seasoned Greeks know this.
This is hot BULLSHIT sigmas have know identity and have stole elements of every other BGLO and tried to claim it as there own, you need to LEARN your history.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

MEKKA NUPE

Yo NUPE. Was good? Not to get off of subject. But, that Krimson and Kream Pool Party is in JUly right? I'm gonna make my way there for that one. I'm in Gary, IN at this moment, so get up with me.

Oh as far as these Kanes go, I don't really get bent out of shape over it. I was once told, "WE AS NUPES KAN'T KOMPETE, BEKAUSE WE LACK PROPER KOMPETITON" .We as NUPE's know what the "kane" is all about, so when I see such blatant imitation, I find it flattering. Laugh about it, kause it is funny! As far as SGRHO's go, I don't know the significance of the cane to them so I can't speak on it.
YO YO!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Host: Kappa Alpha Psi & Delta Sigma Theta
When: July 30, 2005 - from 10 until
Where: IU Outdoor Pool, 17th & Fee Ln., Bloomington, IN
Last Year was Wild this years its gone be KRAZY!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard that the last one was right! That's why I can't wait for this one. Yo, if you are on yahoo messenger, put me in under vegetacain. Get up with me, when u can.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

i'd like to thank all of the Spr '0+ sorority members for giving us their 2nd Hand Hearsay regarding the cane.

thank you.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spoiledpoodle
if you want to be real technical the men of phi beta sigma were the first to ever twirl the cane. learn your history
so when did sigma gamma rho pic up a cane, since you just learned us on what pbs 'technically' did first?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mekka_NUPE
This is hot BULLSHIT sigmas have know identity and have stole elements of every other BGLO and tried to claim it as there own, you need to LEARN your history.
Sent you a PM as I am not the one who said anything about anybody needing to learn their history. She did.

And to be honest with you, I don't really give a good dam about who twirled what cane when or whatever color it was. I don't get caught up in these kind of discussions cause it's not important to me.

Welcome to Greekchat.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

sigmas were first

the kappas are just BITERS
Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
WOW!!! To be bitters....they sure do a damn good job. Gotta love to see a NUPE boppin' and shimmin'!!!

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 07-05-2005, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Live_Wire17
WOW!!! To be bitters....they sure do a damn good job. Gotta love to see a NUPE boppin' and shimmin'!!!

LOL!! Thanx.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChangePlease
sigmas were first

the kappas are just BITERS

UM......yrrrr....ahhh....Okay.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Live_Wire17
as much as they DROP the canes
Old 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Atlas Send a message via Yahoo to Atlas
Who kares? If the Sigmas were first well let me be the first to give them a "Whoop-de-f'in-do"