GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 856
0 members and 856 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar08 View Post
I know that the South and the Midwest are getting most of the love here, but let me put in a plug for the Bay Area of CA... I grew up in California and went to school in D.C. (LOVED it there), and now I live in Central NJ.

But California has a sizable population of upwardly mobile black professionals in both L.A. and the Bay. I do prefer the Bay slightly.

As for Atlanta, I went there once in high school and hated it, went back in college and liked it... but I don't think I "get it," either.
Los Angeles and the Bay are pretty much the only places you can go to have somewhat of a breadth of black professionals now. If that's the key for relocation, I can't recommend California. You need two incomes to buy a house, unless you're going to inherit (which is my situation). Quite a few men, particularly those who are born/raised out here, have Orenthal syndrome.
I lived in Charlotte in 1993-94. I did like the city, very attractive and with sophistication when it came to restaurants, shopping, upscale groceries (loved Harris Teeter in wealthier neighborhoods) but left because of a horrible work situation. But I would rather live in a drier place with no rain.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Quite a few men, particularly those who are born/raised out here, have Orenthal syndrome.
Ok, you definitely have me there. I was in Northern California over Mother's Day Weekend, and I was complaining to my sister about that very issue.

Nonetheless, CA is home to me, so I'll always recommend it. And as far as the housing market, prices are being forced down, so if there were a time to buy, it's going to be now or in the near future.

I've lived in both North and South, and I've found that the cultures are vastly different. (Although, Soror, I did notice that you live in San Diego... and I'm pretty sure it's heaven, so if you don't love that city, I can't see you liking any other part of the state. )

Last edited by Sugar08; 05-17-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Ok, you definitely have me there. I was in Northern California over Mother's Day Weekend, and I was complaining to my sister about that very issue.

Nonetheless, CA is home to me, so I'll always recommend it. And as far as the housing market, prices are being forced down, so if there were a time to buy, it's going to be now or in the near future.

I've lived in both North and South, and I've found that the cultures are vastly different. (Although, Soror, I did notice that you live in San Diego... and I'm pretty sure it's heaven, so if you don't love that city, I can't see you liking any other part of the state. )
Soror, I do have love for San Diego.
Great climate, good restaurants, decent shopping, not to mention a wonderful chapter. I'm a native San Diegan, and right now, I am technically a bi-city person because I work in OC.
I haven't spent significant time in Northern California since 1989, but I did like my summer at Berkeley.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Obsession8 Send a message via Yahoo to Obsession8
Quote:
Quite a few men, particularly those who are born/raised out here, have Orenthal syndrome.
That's the predominant situation where I'm from (and, something I'll have to "grapple" with when I go back). I agree with Soror icebrAKA about wanting to live where there's diversity, but that can be a personal drawback when you're not looking "elsewhere" to date. I guess it's a good thing I'm not the "marrying kind".

ETA: More about my take on Atlanta...

My fam (and I, back in the day) lives on the "outskirts" of ATL (Lithonia, Decatur, Riverdale, the Cascade area, etc.), not in the heart of the city where (most of) the problems that have been mentioned exist. So, that's why I wouldn't mind going back if need be. The whole dating scene issue *would* be a concern, but that seems to be the issue no matter *where* I am (just MHO; refer back to the "marrying kind" statement).
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession8 View Post
ETA: More about my take on Atlanta...

My fam (and I, back in the day) lives on the "outskirts" of ATL (Lithonia, Decatur, Riverdale, the Cascade area, etc.), not in the heart of the city where (most of) the problems that have been mentioned exist. So, that's why I wouldn't mind going back if need be. The whole dating scene issue *would* be a concern, but that seems to be the issue no matter *where* I am (just MHO; refer back to the "marrying kind" statement).
Really Soror, I live in Lithonia!! I don't usually meet many people from Lithonia.The area is pretty nice, sure there are some areas that aren't so nice but thats anywhere. The housing situation is pretty good. There are tons of jobs avaibable in the area. Dekalb County(which Lithonia and Decatur are in) is actually the second wealthiest county in the country for Blacks. Overall, I would give ATL a chance., and I'm not just saying that because I'm from ATL. We have some of the best law firms in the country, not to mention some really good universities.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
LOL I wish I knew what the facination was with Atlanta. I hope people soon realize it is all hype and stop moving here. Traffic is bad enough as it it.
Here are my thoughts on your comments from someone who went to college in Atlanta, moved to Minnesota for a while and then moved back.
1. I can't really speak to teaching jobs, but I do know there are a lot of other jobs in Atlanta. Atlanta's housing is also cheaper than the Northeast, hence people moving here and buying mini mansions.
2. Yeah, supposedly there are a lot of down low/homosexual brothers in Atlanta. I have heard (not sure if it is reliable) that ATL is only second to San Francisco for per capita gay men. I am not sure, but I can tell you that I know plently of folks who have met and fallen in love out side of the AUC. I'm talking young (and not so young since that is now my demographic), professional black women who met and married young black men.
3. You are right about that. No water, unless you count the Chattahoochee River or Lake Lanier. No mountains, unless you count Stone Mountain.
4. I don't think it gets that cold here and when it does, it does not stay cold for that long. You could have a cold spell where it is in the 20s for a few days, but don't be surprised if it is in the 60s or 70s a few days later.

I love Atlanta. There is plenty to do, people are friendly and the salaries are decent given the cost of living. I was out of work 2 years ago and seriously considering relocating. I could have made the same amount that I am making now in cities like LA or DC, but my cost of living would have been dramatically reduced.

Exactly Sistergreek! I have lived in Atlanta my whole life, and I can really say that I don't plan on living anywhere else. I guess that I'm just a true southern girl at heart!! I love it here!! But as for teaching jobs, they are plentiful. Everyone that I have known, who has a degree in Education had jobs and/or offers before they even graduated. I also don't think that the dating situation is a bad a it is made to seem. I do wish people would stop moving here though, like you said traffic is horrible and everywhere you go they are cutting down trees to build something.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
Quote:
Los Angeles and the Bay are pretty much the only places you can go to have somewhat of a breadth of black professionals now. If that's the key for relocation, I can't recommend California. You need two incomes to buy a house, unless you're going to inherit (which is my situation). Quite a few men, particularly those who are born/raised out here, have Orenthal syndrome.
I lived in Charlotte in 1993-94. I did like the city, very attractive and with sophistication when it came to restaurants, shopping, upscale groceries (loved Harris Teeter in wealthier neighborhoods) but left because of a horrible work situation. But I would rather live in a drier place with no rain.
I co-sign. I am from the Bay Area and I wouldn't recommend it either, I LOVE being from California but all the reasons you stated above are why I will never move back. It's funny my Dad's wife is from Thailand, and don't get me started there. I wouln't call it teh Oriental Syndrome its the anything not a sista syndrome.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful1908 View Post
I wouln't call it teh Oriental Syndrome its the anything not a sista syndrome.
Ha! (and so sad.)
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, let's see ... where do I start with the left coast... lol.

I went to grad school in the bay area and so I lived up there (Bezerkeley and Oakland for 2.5 years) and have been living in LA for almost 2 years.

Ok, where do I start.

1. First, the housing is ridiculous. You get a raggedy piece of a 2 bedroom CONDO for half a million dollars -just b/c the land is sitting in the state of California. The house will be only 30 years old if you are lucky and it will require work more than likely. The.housing.market.is.ridiculous. I am a lawyer and if *I* think that it's ridiculous - and we are some of the highest paid folk in the country - then how is anyone else supposed to really live there - w/out the need to get married just to be able to afford a mortgage. Perhaps people don't understand that a half a mil condo means almost 4K per month - just for housing expenses, when you add in taxes, 300/month hoas, plus the other stuff that you pay in addition to the 2600/month mortgage...oh, unless you just want an interest only loan or a loan on which you have the option to not even pay the interest..let alone the principal.

2. Second, the human dynamics out west are just WEIRD plain and simple. The AA guys - the only ones that are normal are the ones who aren't really from there. I have NEVER seen AAs that will avoid the eyes of other AAs on the street. WEIRD. Um, hello, I have news for you scary man, you're AA too. So stop tripping.

3. Third, if I have to go outside or go anywhere one more time and only see AA guys with latinas, I may have to scream. Oh, ok, it's ok b/c they are "ethnic minorities" too. Give me a break. 20 years ago, AA guys were trying to date caucasian women. That didn't go over too well so now they are trying to date latinas. These men will do whatever they can get away with. Cali is the only place in the country that I know of where it is such a "coincidence" that so many AA men fall for non-AA women. Maybe the coincidence is caused by something in the water in LA. Not sure. But I think that we would all agree that the coincidence is just uncanny, isn't it?? Who are our sisters out there supposed to date if they want an AA man? marry? The pickings are real slim.

It is a beautiful place (esp. northern) but it depends on what you're looking for I guess. I have enjoyed Cali but again, I had a boyfriend already (who had been normalized by leaving Cali and going to an HBCU), and I didn't care about building any kind of financial wealth. I was ok with paying $50/week to get my hair washed and wrapped, $50/night to board my dog at his cage free boarding place, $1846/month for my 2 bedroom apartment. Now...I's tired.

4. Fourth, everyone is so worried about promoting how great "diversity" is that AA are LANGUISHING - absolutely LANGUISHING - in LA while AAs there are so busy trying to talk about how great a diverse environment is. How is it great when AA are struggling so much? I looked at an LA Urban League report and do you know that AAs in LA have the fewest numbers of businesses, least wealth in terms of home ownership rates, lowest pay??? Now who is diversity helping. Even the immigrants that migrate to the US, like the latino and asian populations in LA have a greater number of business and own a greater number of homes. What gives? This SUCKS for AAs yet we are the first to talk about how great some place is b/c it is diverse. To me, we are so busy trying to get with everyone else and are afraid unfortunately to just be by ourself, ack that there is nothing wrong with that and address the problems of AA, support our own businesses, etc. What is wrong with that? Cali is so diverse yet AA are struggling so much. I'm not convinced that diversity is so great. It's like the segregation, integration arg. I just don't know.

And another thing. What is so diverse about having a population that is mostly caucasian, latino and asian and AAs are only 9% of the population - and even that's just in Oakland and LA- literally. What's so diverse about that? When you travel the six hours between Oakland and LA, you may not see one AA face. What is so diverse about that? From my perspective, it's NO WONDER that these little AA girls in school in LA hate themselves and think that they are ugly. They have no real sense of anyone telling them that they are beautiful and no body at school even looks like them except for in the worst of the worst schools. Why would you want to send your child to school in an environment where they will be isolated and no one even looks like them? It's ludicrous to me...and it's no wonder they are afraid of me and other AAs. It's no wonder that they think that the symbol of beauty is the valley girl - b/c that's who they see in school b/c we are so out of touch with reality that we are sending out kids to schools where there aren't even anymore AA kids. These AA kids come to HBCUs and are amazed - b/c some of them have never even spent any time around me or other AAs...b/c there aren't any in the neighborhoods - unless you live in Inglewood or LA proper, Inglewood of which has one of the worst high schools in the NATION...yes, nation.

Cali has a lot of work to do from my perspective.

It has served it's purpose for me but now it is time to move on. While I am paying 1800 per month for a 2 bedroom apt, I could have a house and 2 others to rent out (literally) almost anywhere below the Mason Dixon line.

It's a beautiful and fun place and if you've got some money to spend, it's a fun time. You just gotta bring your man with you (lol) and ignore everyone else.

SC

Quote:
I know that the South and the Midwest are getting most of the love here, but let me put in a plug for the Bay Area of CA... I grew up in California and went to school in D.C. (LOVED it there), and now I live in Central NJ.

But California has a sizable population of upwardly mobile black professionals in both L.A. and the Bay. I do prefer the Bay slightly.

As for Atlanta, I went there once in high school and hated it, went back in college and liked it... but I don't think I "get it," either.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Chanel Lover, having had my family in Atl since 1991 and having gone to college, etc. in Atlanta, I still wonder about Dekalb county. Can you break it down to me. It seems that whenever AA move to Atlanta, realtors direct them to Dekalb county like it is some kind of haven but when I'm in Atlanta (which is almost every other month), I turn on the news and inevitably, there is a murder in Dekalb county or basically something involving gun violence - and it's usually in Dekalb county. It seems like it's like the wild, wild west out there to me. Is it just Decatur? I dated a guy when I was in college who was from Lithonia and he also swore that it was the best place to live. What's going on? My parents lived in Clayton and now have lived in Fulton since about 93 but not even Fulton has the kind of crime that Dekalb appears to have. Did Dekalb county put Atlanta on the map when it was the murder capital a few years?

Just wondering b/c I just can't figure out why AAs are always directed to Dekalb like it's the mecca or something yet Dekalb is the main county on the nightly news. They are even directed away from the Cascade area as if Dekalb county is better than the Cascade area. What gives?

If I were to move back, I would definitely be in the midtown area just b/c my commute is h-ll now living in LA or I'd move to where my financially saavy soror-best friend just moved - to West Cobb where all the schools are good and the property values are apparently really appreciating.

Is Dekalb county just getting a bad rep on the news?

Also, re the legal market. I've been practicing for a few years - practiced in the Chicago market and now the LA and Atl seems to me to be an ok market...however, really I've found that some of the choicest positions for my kind of work are silicon valley and san diego b/c those are technology hotbeds. Atlanta's not really...so it's a little limiting. Also, in-house jobs, I have opps but they are not in Atlanta. They are moreso RTP and Dallas/Austin other technology hotbeds. I just think it depends on the kind of law that you practice.

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelLover View Post
Really Soror, I live in Lithonia!! I don't usually meet many people from Lithonia.The area is pretty nice, sure there are some areas that aren't so nice but thats anywhere. The housing situation is pretty good. There are tons of jobs avaibable in the area. Dekalb County(which Lithonia and Decatur are in) is actually the second wealthiest county in the country for Blacks. Overall, I would give ATL a chance., and I'm not just saying that because I'm from ATL. We have some of the best law firms in the country, not to mention some really good universities.

Last edited by SummerChild; 05-18-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Las Vegas isn't much better. It used to be, but with the housing boom of 2004, many moved here because you can make A LOT of money, with very little intelligence, education, character, or morals. Many move to serve deal cards, park cars, serve drinks. A person can make over $100k/year. Unfortunately, as fast as $$ comes, if one isn't careful, it gets away just as fast. Hence, we have foreclosures with lots of liens all over the place. I'm currently a realtor here, but am applying for law school for Fall 2008. Although Vegas is home and all that I've ever known, our law school is probably my fourth or fifth choice. A friend of mine just bought a 3600 sq ft. home in ATL and paid less than $350k. At the time of his closing, I was holding open houses here at a property similar in sq ftg and style, but on a parcel of land the size of a postage stamp. The listing price was $800k--go figure. Yeah, we have some brothas here with the OJ complex, but they're ignorable. Good black men are so hard to find, that not much surprises me anymore. I get more problems from their non-black women who find an intelligent and articulate sista threatening. I guess they're afraid I'll do a "take back". Anyway, I went to ATL recently to visit my old friend and fell in love-- with the city and back in love with him. And you're right, ATL does have some of the best law firms. My friend works for one. Look out Emory, here I come.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerChild View Post
Chanel Lover, having had my family in Atl since 1991 and having gone to college, etc. in Atlanta, I still wonder about Dekalb county. Can you break it down to me. It seems that whenever AA move to Atlanta, realtors direct them to Dekalb county like it is some kind of haven but when I'm in Atlanta (which is almost every other month), I turn on the news and inevitably, there is a murder in Dekalb county or basically something involving gun violence - and it's usually in Dekalb county. It seems like it's like the wild, wild west out there to me. Is it just Decatur? I dated a guy when I was in college who was from Lithonia and he also swore that it was the best place to live. What's going on? My parents lived in Clayton and now have lived in Fulton since about 93 but not even Fulton has the kind of crime that Dekalb appears to have. Did Dekalb county put Atlanta on the map when it was the murder capital a few years?

Just wondering b/c I just can't figure out why AAs are always directed to Dekalb like it's the mecca or something yet Dekalb is the main county on the nightly news. They are even directed away from the Cascade area as if Dekalb county is better than the Cascade area. What gives?

If I were to move back, I would definitely be in the midtown area just b/c my commute is h-ll now living in LA or I'd move to where my financially saavy soror-best friend just moved - to West Cobb where all the schools are good and the property values are apparently really appreciating.

Is Dekalb county just getting a bad rep on the news?

Also, re the legal market. I've been practicing for a few years - practiced in the Chicago market and now the LA and Atl seems to me to be an ok market...however, really I've found that some of the choicest positions for my kind of work are silicon valley and san diego b/c those are technology hotbeds. Atlanta's not really...so it's a little limiting. Also, in-house jobs, I have opps but they are not in Atlanta. They are moreso RTP and Dallas/Austin other technology hotbeds. I just think it depends on the kind of law that you practice.

SC

Soror, I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this.

When I was growing up, we did NOT have as many problems has we do today. I have noticed that there seems to be more crime in Dekalb Cty. After speaking with my mother about this on several occasions, we have some to this conclusion: as you may know, the City of Atlanta and Fulton County have gotten rid of the "projects", in turn they get these Section 8 vouchers, and I mean droves of them have moved to Dekalb.(Don't get me wrong I have nothing agaist lower income people). There has been a noticable change in the dynamics of Lithonia. I do think that we are getting a bad rap. It seems like the news in ATL will pick a county, for about 2 months and tell everything that is wrong with that area, like crime doesn't exist somewhere else.

As far as the housing the main reason people are directed to Dekalb is simple. Property taxes are fairly cheap, public works are pretty good, the schools aren't the best in Georgia, but Georgia schools aren't all that great to begin with; but there are options such as charter schools, optional transfer programs, and magnet programs. You can get a pretty nice house for around $250k with some yard.

As far as the job market, I was just going off of personal expierence. I had a cousin that graduated from Emory last year and had a very very good job offer before even graduating.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Atlanta is the end all be all. After graduating in December, I'm moving to D.C. for grad school. I just think that things may be a little easier here for African Americans, than say Miami. From what I've heard, which I may be wrong, most Blacks in Miami are poor, and if you are not Cuban then its hard as he** to make it.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckBarbie View Post
Las Vegas isn't much better. It used to be, but with the housing boom of 2004, many moved here because you can make A LOT of money, with very little intelligence, education, character, or morals. Many move to serve deal cards, park cars, serve drinks. A person can make over $100k/year. Unfortunately, as fast as $$ comes, if one isn't careful, it gets away just as fast. Hence, we have foreclosures with lots of liens all over the place. I'm currently a realtor here, but am applying for law school for Fall 2008. Although Vegas is home and all that I've ever known, our law school is probably my fourth or fifth choice. A friend of mine just bought a 3600 sq ft. home in ATL and paid less than $350k. At the time of his closing, I was holding open houses here at a property similar in sq ftg and style, but on a parcel of land the size of a postage stamp. The listing price was $800k--go figure. Yeah, we have some brothas here with the OJ complex, but they're ignorable. Good black men are so hard to find, that not much surprises me anymore. I get more problems from their non-black women who find an intelligent and articulate sista threatening. I guess they're afraid I'll do a "take back". Anyway, I went to ATL recently to visit my old friend and fell in love-- with the city and back in love with him. And you're right, ATL does have some of the best law firms. My friend works for one. Look out Emory, here I come.

Congratulations on Emory Law. My cousin went there and loved it!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Soror,
We have a soror that frequents this board sometimes with two master's degrees that has been trying to get a teaching job in Atlanta for months now. Can I refer her to you? It seems that you may know of some opportunities.

SC

Quote:
Exactly Sistergreek! I have lived in Atlanta my whole life, and I can really say that I don't plan on living anywhere else. I guess that I'm just a true southern girl at heart!! I love it here!! But as for teaching jobs, they are plentiful. Everyone that I have known, who has a degree in Education had jobs and/or offers before they even graduated. I also don't think that the dating situation is a bad a it is made to seem. I do wish people would stop moving here though, like you said traffic is horrible and everywhere you go they are cutting down trees to build something.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Soror. Wow, that's interesting with the vouchers and all that. Do you think that Dekalb county has taxes, etc. that are much less than in other counties in the Atlanta area such as Fulton and Cobb? I was looking at the tax rates (by city) and some of the Dekalb county cities actually seemed to be a little higher than Fulton, Cobb (Marietta) and about on par with Fayette county. I don't know if I was looking at the wrong table. It was some kind of millage?? table as I was trying to figure out, if I moved to Atlanta, the best cities to move to in terms of taxes, services, prices, appreciation, etc.

Perhaps the media is targeting the area as you said. I have just always been surprised that I hear about Dekalb county alot when I would think that I would hear about Fulton county as much or more than Dekalb county as Fulton encompasses the actual Atlanta inner city, where I would think more crime would take place.

Atlanta isn't a bad place and I may have a few offers there now. However, as I mentioned in another post, another one of our sorors has been trying to get a job as a teacher or counselor in Atlanta for months now and can't obtain an interview - and she has two masters in education, etc. and works in higher education now in another state where she lives. I really feel like, when it comes to stuff like teaching, maybe the market is just saturated from all of these people that are flocking to Atlanta in droves like 40 going north (or south in this case - lol). It's just that I am always a little perplexed at why people think it's the promised land. It's cool and thanks for the insight.

SC

Quote:
Soror, I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this.

When I was growing up, we did NOT have as many problems has we do today. I have noticed that there seems to be more crime in Dekalb Cty. After speaking with my mother about this on several occasions, we have some to this conclusion: as you may know, the City of Atlanta and Fulton County have gotten rid of the "projects", in turn they get these Section 8 vouchers, and I mean droves of them have moved to Dekalb.(Don't get me wrong I have nothing agaist lower income people). There has been a noticable change in the dynamics of Lithonia. I do think that we are getting a bad rap. It seems like the news in ATL will pick a county, for about 2 months and tell everything that is wrong with that area, like crime doesn't exist somewhere else.

As far as the housing the main reason people are directed to Dekalb is simple. Property taxes are fairly cheap, public works are pretty good, the schools aren't the best in Georgia, but Georgia schools aren't all that great to begin with; but there are options such as charter schools, optional transfer programs, and magnet programs. You can get a pretty nice house for around $250k with some yard.

As far as the job market, I was just going off of personal expierence. I had a cousin that graduated from Emory last year and had a very very good job offer before even graduating.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Atlanta is the end all be all. After graduating in December, I'm moving to D.C. for grad school. I just think that things may be a little easier here for African Americans, than say Miami. From what I've heard, which I may be wrong, most Blacks in Miami are poor, and if you are not Cuban then its hard as he** to make it.

Last edited by SummerChild; 05-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.