» Online Users: 1,322
4 members and 1,318 guests
Cookiez17, John, Xidelt

Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
My appologies. I did not mean to ever imply that TBS insists that male member be called sisters. I believe I was replying to this quote:

Milkhakeax: So should I turn in my letters and forget ritual? I am just as much a lifelong Sister as anyone else, regardless of my gender.

Milhakeax was the one who called himself a sister. Whether this is nationally acclaimed policy or not, is it the practice I have seen in several TBS chapters with male members. I think such practice, whether sanctioned or not, would be a turn off to potential male members. Why not just be a brother of TBS? What is so bad about that??
What's so bad about it is that you're critiquing someone for identifying themselves correctly. He, and the members of his chapter, have a tradition of calling men Sisters. And as you've stated, several chapters do this-- because it's TRADITION. Just like the tradition at each school that determines whether men will even be welcome to join TBS, or women KKY. What's so bad about men calling themselves Sisters, if that's what they are, and that's the bond they share? Do you feel it devalues your experience as a Sister?

The men of my chapter call themselves Sisters. They simply adopted the term, because that's what everyone else uses in our chapter. If a man came along in my chapter, and preferred to call himself a Brother, I'd respect that, but it would sound very strange to me for a while. It's the tradition-- just like yours was a single-sex only. It's an understood-- if you join TBS, you are a sister. It also helps, when not wearing letters, to identify who is in what organization. In my alma mater's band, if a woman or man says that (s)he is a Sister, everyone knows (s)he's in TBS. If (s)he says (s)he's a Brother, everyone knows (s)he's in KKY.

Like any other chapter, new members learn the traditions and embrace them. If they can't embrace them, then their pursuit of membership may be denied. I'm sure there were traditions of your chapter that were assumed traditions that everyone followed without question. It's part of membership in any GLO. For example, when I became a member of TBS, both of our chapters were single-sex, and it was understood that no woman would pursue membership in KKY, and no men in TBS. That did change, however. And now I have male Sisters.

As for deterring men from joining TBS-- if it's based solely on being called a Sister, then I'd have to question whether or not they wanted to be part of an organization that was founded, and still has a majority focus on female membership. I admire the men who do join TBS, because overall I think they have a lot more emotions to go through (internal and from external sources) than the women who join KKY.

And Milhakeax, never, ever let someone try to shame you for being a Sister... I am proud that you are part of my chapter's extended family.

LITB,
Melissa
Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lynx 4_12_06
I am female and a brother in Kappa Kappa Psi. We don't have TBS at our school so we have males and females servicing the band. AEA bruhs. for those in the "New ALTO" district see y'all at district convention. facebook me put in Lynx and you should be able to find me. AEA
Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Why are we hating?

I am a female Brother of Kappa Kappa Psi at WCU. We also have a TBS chapter here as well. I see no problem in calling members of Kappa Kappa Psi Brothers, even if they are female and members of Tau Beta Sigma sisters even if they are male. As a female Brother I see no issues and don't understand why we are hating....

The personalities of each organization is different and the organizations themselves are different. Saying that just because you are male or female and what you should join because of it is really rude, especially considering Title IX......

Last edited by FreakyKiki; 11-05-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I am also a female brother of Kappa Kappa Psi. We do not have a TBS, but I don't think it matters. It's your preference as to which you would like to be in.
But that isn't the point. It's to promote brotherhood, and obviously you guys on here aren't completely living up to that.
Who cares if you're a male and you chose TBS, or you're a female and you chose KKPsi. Maybe you felt drawn towards one more than the other for a reason you can't explain? Maybe you think you fit in more with the ideals of one over the other? Does it really matter? They both are great organizations, who strive to help the bands as much as they can, and to promote brotherhood. So live up to it.

AEA for life.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

FreakyKiki is quite possibly the greatest screen name of our time.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi_chotic02 View Post
my opinion is that if the founding fathers wanted to send a clear message about women being in the frat......they would've had at least one women founder (I mean, i know there had to be at least ONE female member in the band).....THEY wouldn't call themselves fathers.........WE wouldn't be called brothers.......and THIS wouldn't be a brotherhood!!!

Now that's my 2 cents.....

Stephen I.
Kappa Kappa Psi/Epsilon Theta
Fall 2K2 #1
"Psi-chotic" Double Psi-ded

Somebody needs to go over some info...
The first Oklahoma A&M College Band was organized in 1905 by an A&M student. Originally, only men were allowed to play in the band. It wasn't until 1936 where women were really in the concert band. Even then, they were not allowed to march. In 1946, a marching band for girls formed, and in 1955 the two bands were combined into one.

How would there be a female founder if women weren't allowed to be in the band during the founding of Kappa Kappa Psi?

Know the circumstances behind the facts before you just go off on seemingly ignorant accusations.

So I take your 2 cents and raise you my 19
Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psientist View Post

The first Oklahoma A&M College Band was organized in 1905 by an A&M student. Originally, only men were allowed to play in the band. It wasn't until 1936 where women were really in the concert band. Even then, they were not allowed to march. In 1946, a marching band for girls formed, and in 1955 the two bands were combined into one.

How would there be a female founder if women weren't allowed to be in the band during the founding of Kappa Kappa Psi?

Know the circumstances behind the facts before you just go off on seemingly ignorant accusations.

Nice history lesson!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psientist View Post

To put in my $19.19 with all due respect:

When another bruh/soror ITB makes a statement that comes across as inaccurate/ignorant/stupid (or even if you just don't agree with it), it never looks good when another member of the same org redresses that person in front of non-members. You could have just stated the facts without "pointing the finger".

I'm just sayin', take the high road...

AEA
"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922

Last edited by blkwebman1919; 01-19-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwebman1919 View Post
To put in my $19.19 with all due respect:

When another bruh/soror ITB makes a statement that comes across as inaccurate/ignorant/stupid (or even if you just don't agree with it), it never looks good when another member of the same org redresses that person in front of non-members. You could have just stated the facts without "pointing the finger".

I'm just sayin', take the high road...

AEA
Each of you could have also used the PM feature if sincere brotherhood was more important than publicly being correct.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Each of you could have also used the PM feature if sincere brotherhood was more important than publicly being correct.
ftw
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Agreed. My intention was to make a point in general for all members of the org, so I didn't use the PM.

To PSientist - Mea Culpa...
"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922
Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

kky-tbs coed

the fraternities are both co-ed. notice i said fraternities***. TBS was created as a "fraternity". That is what they are labeled as. Yes they do mention "sisterhood" in their Mission statement. So right there you have it.

KKY MC
Theta Phi
Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Just another quick lesson with marching bands.

If you look at the years that marching bands were ALL MEN. Its from the late 1800s to the late 1930's....Its a little conflict called WW2, that sent all the men away to war, thus leaving all the women behind. The women had to pick up the pieces and do all the mens work since majority of them were drafted. This bringing women into marching bands for the first time.

So for the comments about "they had to had at least one women in the band", the answer is no...it may sound weird, but back then they really had no women in the band.

Bands back then were cadet bands, military units. and back then "women in military = no no"

AEA

A.F.&.A.M
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

This is an odd thread.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_Psi View Post
Just another quick lesson with marching bands.

. . . .
Were you responding to something specific?