GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 837
0 members and 837 guests
No Members online

Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
To all the Texas Haters.

THANK YOU.

What he said!!!

I am so excited! I was there for Texas' last National Championship and I was wondering if I would ever see another.

This was a great game - almost a little too exciting for me. USC played hard and played a good game. I thought all along that it would be a close game.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Docet, as the 8th ranked team that year, how the heck were they in the alamo bowl? My point is that bowl games before New Years day aren't worth watching besides maybe the Holiday Bowl which is usually pretty good.

On another note, how does Houston not take Vince Young with the first pick in the NFL draft? some say his passing mechanics need to be worked on but I think he would be a great fit for Houston. College hero stays in state to try to lead the texans out of the basement. Just think of all of the interest that gets for the Houston franchise in terms of new fans and interest.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kstar
I still hate Texas, but YAY! Go Big XII!
How much money did you lose last year?

-Rudey
--You are still retarded.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quit the crying. It was a sloppy game. Poor officiating all around. It evened out in the end.

I hope they are serving crow in Bristol tonight. ESPN was pandering to SoCal because of the market size. If it was Texas vs. LSU in the national championship, it would have run as third on SportsCenter (an admitted overspimplification, but still.)

I'm just left wondering (as the tower glows orange for the next week) if Nick Lachey is going to break up with Matt cause the trojans arent the best team in the history of the universe since the beginning of time ever.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok. First off congrats to Texas. One hell of a game for you guys. Vince Young is the man, and I am really happy for him. 2nd of all, I didn't have the luxury of seeing replays over and over but I gotta ask a few questions for you guys.

There were three plays where I swear SC got screwed the fuck over on.

Reggie Bushes fumble. THAT WAS A FREAKIN FORWARD LATERAL! So that should have been a flag, and USC still shuold have gotten the ball back right? Or is that not the rule?

Next...

There was this play where Vince laterals the ball and some dude scored a TD. I swear to god that was forward lateral. I SWEAR. Either that or he was down. HOnestly, there he just stood still for 2 seconds.

Ok and last...

there was this play where I swear USC recovered the ball. this one dude from Texas I thought caught a ball, and then muffed it up. But they said it was an incomplete pass I think. I swear when the replayed it, we all thought (even texas fans) it was a fumble and SC was gonna get the ball.

Aiya.

Anyways, vince young played his ass off, congrats to that warrior. Lendale White needs to skip his senior season after his performance tonight, the SC offensive coordinators are gonna get GRILLED by all of us fans. When Jarret got his TD, i swear that hurt SC more than benefited us. They scored too quickly and should have kept feeding the rock to Lendale. He was unstoppable and that would have killed the time. DAMMIT OH WELL.

Ok I swear. You guys would have thought the entire state of Texas came. There were all these Texas fans outside before the game crying because they coudln't get tickets. I don't blame em, you travel all the way out here ...with no ticket? There were TONS of SC fans slangin their tickets to Texas people. The Texas fans next to us said they bought their tickets for 800 bux. 800 bux!!!! Holey shit man.

Texas fans were very nice and honestly, there was NOT alot of smack talk going on. Well, in the stands atleast. It was weird. Anytime SC scored, some Texas girl kept congratuling me as if I scored. In a way it was nice of her, but I also wanted to smack her upside the head. None of this killing me with kindness crap. I wanted to hate Texas that night!!!!! But it I couldn't because the fans were too nice. Oh well.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
What a game!

HOOK 'EM!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

1) Bush's fumble...I don't think it matters if it is a forward lateral if your team never touches it.

2) Young was down. ABC played the replay over and over again. Should have been reviewed, but Texas was smart and snapped the extra point quickly to make it a null point.

3) The reception that Bobby the Don speaks of was definitely not a reception. Totally didn't make a football move or completely control the ball. If the strip had been made a half second later, you might have beef, but the correct call was made. Even if it might have been a fumble, there definitely wasn't enough evidence (indisputable) that it was a fumble.

4) I completely lost all respect for Matt Leinart tonight after his post game comments saying that he still thought that USC was the better team. While it might be true (barely) you don't say that seconds after losing, b/c your own dumbass almost got sacked, scrambled wasting time and then overthrew your receiver. Seriously have a little bit more class and tact than that...After weeks of both teams kissing each other's asses, Leinart wasn't able to continue that for 30 more seconds.

5) Finally, I'm really glad USC lost to end all this talk about the greatest team ever...when you have no defense there's no way you can be one of the best teams in the history of the game. What adds to it even more is that ESPN has to eat so much crow for making USC such a media frenzy. While others may disagree, I really think that the whole "finding their place in history" think SportsCenter did was ridiculous and this USC team would have lost to the top 6 teams, including getting destroyed by the top 2 ('01 Miami and '95 Nebraska) by more than 35 points. Heck even last year's USC team would have beaten this year's team by 14 or more points.

Last edited by Betarulz!; 01-05-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh...and also...if LenDale White, Vince Young and Steve Smith all go pro, I'm calling it now: Nebraska (the only team to play both of tonight's teams next season) beats USC in LA and beats UT in Lincoln.

I just don't think that John David Booty is completely ready and in sync by the 2nd game of the season.

Given the atmosphere in Lincoln, my Huskers play UT close and pull it out in the end. We lose our starting RB, and a couple of lineman, but the lineman sucked, so they should be a better unit, and our defense will be just nasty next year so long as we get some safeties to step up.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Betarulz!

5) Finally, I'm really glad USC lost to end all this talk about the greatest team ever...when you have no defense there's no way you can be one of the best teams in the history of the game. What adds to it even more is that ESPN has to eat so much crow for making USC such a media frenzy. While others may disagree, I really think that the whole "finding their place in history" think SportsCenter did was ridiculous and this USC team would have lost to the top 6 teams, including getting destroyed by the top 2 ('01 Miami and '95 Nebraska) by more than 35 points. Heck even last year's USC team would have beaten this year's team by 14 or more points.
Thats what got me was the 'greatest of all time' bs. Comparing USC to the amazing teams of the past, but slate.com's Jonathan Chait had a thing on NPR last week and I found it online
here.

A brief excrept I found funny:

"The ESPNers also entertained the thought of this year's Trojans facing off against great powers from a generation ago. May noted that the 1969 Texas Longhorns ("the size of the players ... forget it, they're gonna roll over them") and the 1955 Oklahoma Sooners ("Not even close, and I look at the size of the players … their starting center was 5-8, a sophomore, and 158 pounds") would both be overwhelmed by today's Trojans. Which is probably true, though one could use this method to prove that the 2005 Temple Owls were the greatest team of all time. Fielding H. Yost's 1901 Michigan team trampled opponents by a cumulative score of 550-0. But, hey, the forward pass wasn't legal then, and those guys didn't even wear helmets. The concussions alone would make this a huge Temple blowout."
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, Texas, on winning the National Championship. You get one day's reprieve from me before the traditional OU-vs-Texas hatred continues...

USC... Leinart, quitcherbitchin'! Ya lost, and OU still keeps its winnin' streak intact!

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
USC could have called time to give the refs more of a chance to review the Texas touchdown. They did not. Bad calls happen in every game that help both sides. There are no "real scores" ect. Texas won fair and square.

Congrats to Texas.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

GO TEXAS!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

I was just asking myself after the game... how would USC have fared if it had fought the Battle of the Bulge as the greatest team of all time?

Would Napoleon had won Waterloo if he had the '05 USC team?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Also those arguing that the touchdown shouldn't have counted. His knee was down on the 10. It would have been 1st down and all likelyhood Texas would still have scored that touch down just maybe a couple plays later. No one will ever know, but it is not like USC would have taken control of the ball when his knee went down.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
dont forget that a knee was also down in the texas tech/alabama game too and it was not called back.

congrats to texas! to be honest, i was too nervous to watch the entire game. i had to watch something else while flipping back occasionally to find out what the current score was. however, i did watch the last six minutes of the game to see that thrilling comeback win. and, i stayed up till like 1:30am to watch all the post-game celebration and news coverage on espn. fight on texas!