GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,150
1 members and 1,149 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-03-2003, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Do freshmen?!? LOL

oh wait!

Its Do Good! phew! lol
Old 09-03-2003, 05:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
Do freshmen?!? LOL

oh wait!

Its Do Good! phew! lol
LOL!!

OMG- JDGS~ You are HILARIOUS!!! ROFLMAO!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lauralaylin
Another reason they may do it is because their sophomore class is already big, and they don't want to hurt the chapter a few years down the road by just adding to it. If you have a chapter of 60 women and 30 all graduate at once, the chapter suffers. I can see why they would do it in this case. It's a concern I have for one of the chapters I advise.
thats a good concern.

BUT I go to Michigan and I know that it is BECAUSE of that rule that we don't have many sophomores rushing at ALL. Alot of sophomores know about that rule and decide that they don't want to rush because they're discouraged from moment one. I can understand if a chapter says they'll only take a small percentage of sophomores but to say they won't even consider them is ridiculous. Especially if the house is one of the more popular ones that never would have a concern for numbers anyways.

But don't worry Lisa, I know ALOT of awesome girls who rush as sophomores and they get into houses that are great. There ARE even juniors that rush. There are some big houses that DO take sophomores and juniors and those are also some of the chapters that EVERYONE loves.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wishuponastar
LOL!!

OMG- JDGS~ You are HILARIOUS!!! ROFLMAO!!!!
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Of course I'm curious about what would be a "big name" chapter at Michigan. Thinking here about mottoes and songs and such: "perpetual bond of freshmen"? no . .. it's "friendship." "Freshmen hand in hand"? no -- it's "union." "I am so happy that I am a freshman"? no, no. "One heart, one bunch of freshmen"? no -- "one way." Aw, I give up.
As long as it's not "Multa Frosha, Una Causa"
Old 09-03-2003, 10:59 AM

For everyone ragging on the "we don't take sophomores" sorority, I personally would be happy to have them out of the way and know why, rather than get sunshine blown up my butt (tm kddani) and think I have a chance when I don't.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by polarpi
I hope it's not "We live for freshmen"
Founded upon a freshman? Freshmen upon a rock?

The rock thing might work - kind of kinky.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

How about "Let us steadfastly love only freshmen"
Old 09-03-2003, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

omg....

you guys are cracking me up. If I was in a really bitchy mood i'd type all of those and post it on the door of the OGL....lol

They all know the freshman only thing happens but they ignore it.

Funny too....alot of the houses known as the "popular houses" on my campus also have some of the highest deactivation rates too. Alot of girls join for the year to get popularity points or whatever and then quit before rush the following year. So yeah, many of the houses can brag "we have the most beautiful girls and every frat wants to party with us" but not many can brag "we have beautiful DEDICATED women"
Old 09-03-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Designergal3
omg....

you guys are cracking me up. If I was in a really bitchy mood i'd type all of those and post it on the door of the OGL....lol

They all know the freshman only thing happens but they ignore it.
<SNIP>
Yikes -- no b*tchiness, please
Let's see, more information: Emma Brownlee entered Monmouth in the fall of 1864 and graduated in 1868, so she wasn't a freshman when she became a Founder of Pi Beta Phi (well, I.C. Sorosis). And Bettie Locke was a sophomore at Asbury (DePauw) when she turned down that FIJI pin and began the efforts that led to the founding of Kappa Alpha Theta.

In all honesty, I have to agree with what was said earlier: better to know at the outset that a chapter simply doesn't take sophomores rather than being deluded by pleasant conversation, songs, chants, and talk of sisterhood into thinking that there might be a chance.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter at my alma mater ran a classified ad in the student paper today that read something like: "Who are all those cute freshman girls? They're (insert chapter's name here)!" Sigh.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
why no sophomores somtimes??

pinklady23, I say this to give an explination I was given once about the 'no upperclassmen' "rule". Please do not take it as a discouragement from me personally against you. I hope you go through recruitment, U of M is a great school and has a great greek life from what I hear. All the best to you. <3!!

Our chapter had 20seniors graduate one year. Total was 42 on campus and we were at 45 when they graduated. They had all been part of different NM groups near the beginning of our chapter's history. The following semester we filled those spaces with great girls. Most of them were sophomores so we had a chapter more than half made up of sophomores. We were told that for the next two semesters we could not take any sophomores. Reason being this...those girls are graduating this year and will leave a HUGE gap in the chapter. Not only quantity wise but quality wise. These girls rocks. But, having too many members in one class makes it difficult for the following class to regroup when that class graduates.

It was also explained to me that membership should look like a pyramid of sorts, with the base being the greatest numbers and all freshmen if possible. Or I guess at chapters with large numbers like UofM a square. And if one class is larger it throws things out of wack.

It was nothing personal for us when we didn't take juniors or sophomores those two following semesters, we knew we could benefit from the girls who wanted to join but it would NOT be beneficial for the class of girls coming up. Sometimes I guess a chapter has to think ahead and plan for the underclassmen and not take everyone they would like to. It sucks sometimes, but I guess it's part of the politics of sorority life.

Again, I really don't mean to discourage you I hope you Rush and find a home...not EVERY chapter goes by this and it may be something only we were told bc we were a newer chapter.

Last edited by ZTAMich; 09-03-2003 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
I understand about not wanting "lopsided" class sizes (believe me, almost every class at my chapter was lopsided, and this year will be the hardest one!), but at the same time you don't know the specifics of when a student will graduate. Say you take on a new PNM who's a sophomore by credits, but she actually won't graduate until the year after or two years later (i.e. 5-6 years to complete their degree). Technically, they'd be in a different class based on graduation, so I think it takes a little more "digging" to determine whether or not to retain the woman to later parties.

That's just my .02
Old 09-03-2003, 07:18 PM

My apologies to the AXOs out there, but in rereading this thread just now, the first thing that popped into my mind was:

"Together Let Us Seek The Frosh"
Old 09-03-2003, 09:29 PM

1 word

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverblue
A chapter at my alma mater ran a classified ad in the student paper today that read something like: "Who are all those cute freshman girls? They're (insert chapter's name here)!" Sigh.
TACKY!!