» Online Users: 1,087
2 members and 1,085 guests
John
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I am for AI if the sorority approaches the prospect, and not the other way around. I am for AI members being treated as our sisters-in-full.

I am not for AI as recruitment until my Grand Council states otherwise.

I am not for an AI subforum until AI becomes Alumnae Recruitment.

NPC AI is not recruitment and should not be "pursued."
AGREED.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I think it's safe to say that if you only find it on the "Members Only" portion of the web site, that it shouldn't be shared with non-members.
Put it this way, AI info isn't even on the Sisters Only side. It's not on the web, period. It can, however, be found in the Membership Handbook.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Put it this way, AI info isn't even on the Sisters Only side. It's not on the web, period. It can, however, be found in the Membership Handbook.
You're right, which is about the only handbook not available on the Sisters Only side of the web site, for good reason. That, along with Ritual information, are too sensitive for even the Sisters Only side of the web site.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Well,

Except for The Quartly article which explains that AI exists and outlines who is eligible which on the general site and is available to everyone, you're right.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Except for The Quartly article which explains that AI exists and outlines who is eligible which on the general site and is available to everyone, you're right.
The fact that even that general information is not on the website -- you have to dig through the Quarterly archives for it -- convinces me enough that it's something that JUST SHOULDN'T BE DISCUSSED ONLINE.

That Quarterly article was written for the sisters, not for AI hopefuls. Can you imagine a PNAM coming up to a member, article in hand, saying, "according to this, I'm eligible for AI...sponsor me!" ?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoops

Well, you'd have to dig through, except for the link on the GreekChat Alpha Gamma Delta forum titled Alumnae Initiation with the reference to the issue. But it's on the public IHQ website, so I guess it's cool. (It's also the first thing returned in a Google search for Alpha Gamma Delta and Alumnae initiation. Yes, as a matter of fact, I am a complete nerd.)

It's because I find people approaching with article in hand so hard to imagine that I don't think it's likely to happen.

But I haven't been around here to see what you've seen.

(Really, if I were approached about joining a group, I probably would do my own online research into the group because I'm a nerd like that. It seems like an AI subforum could be used for good reasons too.)

Last edited by UGAalum94; 10-01-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

It's already been said 89654324 times, but I agree w/ adpiucf & kdonline
Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

That's how SK is. Info is nowhere on the website nor is it on the Sisters Only section. It's in the membership handbook. Membership handbooks are NOT something that every sister has either. Only the VPM has it during her time as VPM.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
I don't know enough about different group policies about AI to say. I assume that members of those groups would know, and they would act accordingly.

Just as it seems rare in the rush forums for people to talk about how their groups do membership selection, I would think it would be rare for members to talk about the particulars of AI membership selection on Greek Chat.

It doesn't seem to me that Greek Chat is about information that is only available on Greek Chat. Nor does it seem to me that it's about trying to get super secret insider information. It seems to me that people look for advice and support from people who know more about the process than they do.

The only reason why I wouldn't expect to see AI forums on Greek Chat is that it seems relatively rare. But if people want to ask, and others want to answer, and their national policies don't prohibit answers, what's the problem?
You answered your own question.

If an 18 year old asks you about rushing, whether it's a specific chapter or not, you can tell her to go through formal rush or COB. Because you pretty much know that every single collegiate chapter of every single NPC group recruits and bids collegians in some manner.

If a 35 year old asks you how to AI- you don't have a CLUE what any sorority other than AGD does as far as AI is concerned.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an AI member, so I have mixed feelings about the issue of posting info on GC. When I started out, the info here was rather brief and there weren't too many of us PNAMs. What info was there was informative without being too revealing. PMs to individual members of GLOs were encouraged, rather than putting all the stuff out in the open.

It was helpful the way it was. Somewhere along the line, it got out of hand. Now it's gotten to be a hot mess. I am sorry about that, because the facts I got from individual members were honest and helpful.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with you, tinydancer. When I first inquired about the possibility of AI, the issue was fairly quiet. There were a handful of success stories on GC. There was some general information posted, but most of what I learned was from Private Messages from two alumnae, one from the organization that I was looking into and one woman who was just generally supportive and wanted to point me in the right direction. Now, when I've finally found my home, this place feels like a disaster zone I'm sorry that it has come to this. The average one-time-only lurker would look at this board and think that all AIs were a bunch of pathetic dreamers who can't grow up. I'm not even sure how that came to be, but as someone who has benefited greatly from this sub-forum, even I can see that this board might be more trouble than it is worth.

Just to speak for myself, I'm quite grown-up, thank you. In fact, my years of schooling and life in general (although I'm still young) have taught me enough to make me feel that I can make a difference in the lives of college women...that I can teach them to be proud and gracious and determined. And that is exactly why I am a soon-to-be-AI.

Be a Volunteer!

Last edited by LouisaMay; 10-02-2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: just 'cause
Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this alum. initiate thing very big at big Southern schools? I have to think most of the sorority girls I know would think it was really odd for an older, graduated, working woman to want to get initiated/join a sorority.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Macallan, they would not be joining the collegiate chapter (I think we all agree: that would be weird.) And the way it usually actually works, despite what GC may tell you, is that there is a wonderful woman who has a daughter or a mother or a sister who is a member, and who has given a lot to her community as a professional or volunteer, and who the sorority's alums think, "wow, she would make a great XYZ" and they approach her. It's not usually something for women who missed their chance to join in college and have been dreaming of nothing else ever since- it's for women who have fulfilling lives and something to offer.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Is this alum. initiate thing very big at big Southern schools? I have to think most of the sorority girls I know would think it was really odd for an older, graduated, working woman to want to get initiated/join a sorority.
You are correct that a lot of people think it is weird.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Unregistered-

When I was a NM, I knew about AI because it said that we did AI in my Frat Ed manual. I also knew about it because my chapter AI-ed women from my community when the chapter was installed.

However, after reading up on different chapters/orgs here, I know that not all people are aware that their GLO even did AI (if they even do). I don't know if the other NPCs has even addressed the issue to their members, but the Quarterly article Alphagamuga mentioned earlier pretty much explained to the Fraternity that a) yes, we have AI; and b) many AIs have gone on to do marvelous things for the Fraternity, even hold the office of International President.
Closed Thread