» Online Users: 826
1 members and 825 guests
No Members online

Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though this is 3 years old I must respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash78mere View Post
i think men in the service are sexy as hell since they are risking their lives for my freedom
Amen! They are so hot!!! I personally love marines, because I LOVE their dress uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley21
oh to expand on military men being sexy, i got three words...black hawk down..holy crap. i did not know so many many hot guys could be in one movie.
Holy God!!! I know! They were just incredibly gorgeous in that movie. I love the movie for the historical aspect, but man so many of those actors are just hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeykiss1974
When loves comes calling, you just gotta answer!
Very, very true!

Like others have said, if I was in love with him, I wouldn't his job was. Albeit, with the world we live in, I would worry about his safety more, but the same would go for cops or firefighters (who I personally also find gorgeous).

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope.

I require too much attention and routinization/semi-predictability in terms of the future. I also require spontaneity in a relationship but NOT in the form of "honey, I just found out I'm being sent to Iraq in a couple of months!!!!"
Old 10-01-2006, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSigLana View Post
I'll marry anyone who asks me.
That's scary.

I think military men are sexy and I particularly love Marines. Dated a couple of FINE ones. But I dated them for fun and not with the goal of becoming attached.

Someone else mentioned "when love comes calling you have to answer." Not really. People should always reserve the ability and right to bow out of situations that make them unhappy or aren't in their best interest. Love or not.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Im dating a military fellow----i agreee with those who say they are sexy hunks---mine is!!

But I love him enough to accept his absences.. so I dnt think its much of a problem.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Nope.
I also require spontaneity in a relationship but NOT in the form of "honey, I just found out I'm being sent to Iraq in a couple of months!!!!"
I agree with you on that. Plus, I think I would be on edge the ENTIRE time he was gone. Not really a nice way to live life.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM

No, unless they were getting out before we married. I don't want to move around or have him be far away for long periods, plus I don't really find uniformed men that sexy. (Unless it's Marlon Brando in Sayonara. mmmmmm.)

I would say the same thing if he was always away in any job, like a trucker - Dad33 was thinking of doing that and Mom33 said "if you do, tell me goodbye for good." Lots of their friends lived that life for a long time, but I think having the man you love gone so much would just be devastating.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
amen to that girl! A Marine in dress uniform still makes me drool (I may be married, but I am SO NOT dead!)

But the answer to the question would be yeah I would have married someone in the military. I almost married an Air Force pilot (the dude I was with in college)

But things went a different way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Even though this is 3 years old I must respond

Amen! They are so hot!!! I personally love marines, because I LOVE their dress uniform.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I go with the idea that you love who you love.

If I so happened to fall in love with a military man, I would marry him.

I don't think it would be right for me to tell him that I wouldn't marry him because he was military. If that is what he loves doing, then who am I to tell him otherwise, ya know?

Plus I grew up a military brat, so its no big thing to me.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Obviously for me, the answer is a big yes. Of course we started dating even before GEN Alum was a plebe at West Point.....
Old 10-05-2006, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

IDk my roommate is engaged to a Navy man and his schedule makes my head spin, constantly changing, no advanced notice... here two weeks, gone two weeks, gone 6 months , and jsut yesterday she got an E mail saying "Honey I'm going to be gone 6 weeks instead of three." AND she's never even seen him in uniform !!
My best friend from High School is marrying an Army man in a month and has to move to TX, and maybe he will be sent away after that...

IDK I guess if I met a man, and he was THE ONE For me, I'd do it, but I don't really care to share my man with the US government, no matter how good they look in those uniforms... (and they DO look GOOD)
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
I did marry a Marine...10 years ago. And while he is no longer active duty I certainly identify with some of the military families here since I live between an Army and and AF base...plus a Navy base just a couple hours away.

I find myself secretly thanking my lucky stars when I don't have a husband out in the field any more for weeks on end, at drill or getting ready to deploy yet again to Iraq.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

To serve your country as a soldier is an honor and a privelege but it demands much. It is not for the faint hearted and not for the self indulgent. It draws upon the deepest commitment to public service where one literally lays one's life on the line to defend our nation and our people. The conditions are often harsh and the pay is moderate, to say the least. Those who take up this path ask much of themselves and much of those they love. To those who have taken the Oath and served, I salute you. Those who have loved these men and women and followed the difficult path with them giving them strength and support not to weaken in resolve and to share the burden of service, I admire and perhaps revere you. To those whose attitude toward marrying or getting involved with someone in the military is shaped by how hot they look in uniform, I shake my head in disbelief at how shallow you are. To those who couldn't marry a soldier because it would be just too inconvenient to your lifestyle, contempt is a good word, but it really just does not convey the revulsion I feel at your self centered dismissal of those who guarantee your liberty while they lay it all on the line for you.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I am married to a captain in the US Army. We have been together since college 8years ago when he was in ROTC and he told me to count on 20 years, so I went in knowing his commitment level to the military. Only now, with everything going on, his commitment is waning a bit. Two Iraq tours and no for-sure end in sight can wreak havoc on a family. And I think it was valkyrie that posted way back 3 or so years ago about being bleeding-heart liberal-- let's just say now, I've met a lot more people in the Army along that frame of mind than I think were there (or willing to admit) before.

I love my husband deeply and support his every endeavor (and the fact that he's sexy as hayle in ALL of his uniforms definitely helps!, as well as the fact my father is a minister, so I had that moving thing down pat way before my hubby came into the picture ) But I'm also a Marriage and Family Therapist and work with military families and see that the casualties of war are not just on the battlefield, but on the homefront as well. Affairs, divorces, children not knowing their parents, domestic violence, addictions... it's a very sad state of affairs.

I think for anyone contemplating marriage to the military, the couple needs to go in with eyes wide open and explore all expectations of the relationship. It's the only way for success, because I've seen the proof that love is definitely not enough.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelle View Post
Well, I am married to a captain in the US Army. We have been together since college 8years ago when he was in ROTC and he told me to count on 20 years, so I went in knowing his commitment level to the military. Only now, with everything going on, his commitment is waning a bit. Two Iraq tours and no for-sure end in sight can wreak havoc on a family. And I think it was valkyrie that posted way back 3 or so years ago about being bleeding-heart liberal-- let's just say now, I've met a lot more people in the Army along that frame of mind than I think were there (or willing to admit) before.

I love my husband deeply and support his every endeavor (and the fact that he's sexy as hayle in ALL of his uniforms definitely helps!, as well as the fact my father is a minister, so I had that moving thing down pat way before my hubby came into the picture ) But I'm also a Marriage and Family Therapist and work with military families and see that the casualties of war are not just on the battlefield, but on the homefront as well. Affairs, divorces, children not knowing their parents, domestic violence, addictions... it's a very sad state of affairs.

I think for anyone contemplating marriage to the military, the couple needs to go in with eyes wide open and explore all expectations of the relationship. It's the only way for success, because I've seen the proof that love is definitely not enough.

This is a very powerful post.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
To those who couldn't marry a soldier because it would be just too inconvenient to your lifestyle, contempt is a good word, but it really just does not convey the revulsion I feel at your self centered dismissal of those who guarantee your liberty while they lay it all on the line for you.
Nowhere did I, or anyone, ever say that they didn't appreciate the sacrifices the men and the women of the military make for this country and its citizens. They simply said they wouldn't want to marry someone with that lifestyle. That, to me, is better than saying "love conquers all" and naively thinking it's the truth.

One of my exes had a vasectomy at what some would consider a young age. He told me it was because he didn't ever want to be responsible for anyone other than himself. Now, some people might consider that selfish - I consider it supremely the opposite. He knows he wouldn't be happy being tied down with a child, so he's going to do what is best for him and not subject a child to his unhappiness, rather than reproducing just because that's what society tells him to do.

I wouldn't be happy with the military lifestyle. Therefore, I wouldn't marry a man who is committed to it and make both of us miserable.