Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,485
0 members and 1,485 guests
No Members online

Old 02-26-2006, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I said this before but I didn't make back what i put into my businesses. I sold (and technically still sell) both Mary Kay and Partylite because I really do love the products. I wanted to get the product at a discount so I signed up. However, they don't tell you that you have to do a weekly report, not to mention weekend lunches, brunches, meetings, phone conferences, coffee chat, power hour, and all this other BS that I don't have time for and it's not really my cup of tea. Plus they all cost money. $10 for this meeting, $15 for this one. $75 career conference and when I don't sign up I get hassled from my leader with calls and emails hourly! You also have to order business cards, your kit, extra things, gas to get to the parties, professional outfits, all this crap. I think doing home shows are a hassle and I won't do them. Period.
MK is also a pain because someone just asked to order an $11 lipgloss, however the shipping is $8.00 per order (regardless of size) so I will spend $8.00 and make $5.50 on it. I can't afford to buy other stuff just to make it worth my while because I have a huge inventory of stuff (not the lipgloss she wants, though)
Old 02-26-2006, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

The Home Party Scene

I knew I was out of the scene when I got together with some of my old LB chicks and they were all raving about the Tastefully Yours (or something like that) dip we were eating (with our large bottle of wine, of course!) and I had never heard of it. Also, never been to a Southern Living at Home party either until my mother in law started selling it, and so far have been able to put her off having one by buying stuff from my sisters in law when they get roped into it, although I really don't like going to somebody's house and thinking....I have that tray, I have that vase....I like to think I'm a little more original that that!

And for the baskets flying out of places....I usually say something that's not so nice, I cleaned it up to rear end for this bb since I don't know y'all and you don't know me!
Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
With regards to companies like Mary Kay, AVON, Partylite, that scrapbooking company (I forget the name), AMWAY, Pampered Chef and Market America.....

IF THE PRODUCTS ARE SO WONDERFUL, WHY DON'T THEY SELL THEM IN STORES?
Actually, Avon does have stores now. You can go in and buy the product direct and I think they can even do makeovers and stuff if you're interested.

I think someone else already explained how people make money selling Avon. My mom's been selling it for about 30 years. She makes about 50% profit on each of her sales (I think), which isn't bad, considering that she lives in a very small community. It's not her primary income and due to the length of time that she's been doing it, she's not out pounding on doors trying to get new customers. She's older, she's thinking of retiring from it soon.

As for Longaberger, that stuff is freaking expensive. I went to a party once for a friend and was thinking, really, this is a basket and I'm not really a 'basket person.' They did have these really cute little crocks though that I bought.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

mary kay is a cult

If you need 100's of emails flooding your inbox, constant calls to your home and work and just constant harassment, buy Mary Kay or become a consultant.

I had to put a filter on my email and start screening my calls to avoid the Mary Kay brain washing police. I went to a 'party' where all the women were nice in Stepford Wives sort of way. I made the mistake of wanting to compare products, you could have heard a pin drop.

Mary Kay is a cult that uses brainwashing as well as many of torture techniques to 'convince' you. STAY AWAY.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amandaruth
Incidentally, one of my cousins had a Pampered Chef party disguised as a bridal shower. We show up, and there's a "demonstrator" there showing us all these products. Then they pass around a list of the things my cousin has decided she wants, and we were supposed to put cash in an envelope so she could pay for all of it. Then we got a lecture about how we should also buy things for ourselves, since my cousin would get bonus gifts as well. That's just tacky, in my opinion. It's one thing to invite people to a Mary Kay/Tupperware/Pampered Chef party (at least they know what they're getting into), but it's another thing entirely to invite someone to a bridal shower and then expect them to just fork over cash. From what I understand, that kind of "party" is becoming more common for lots of MLMs.
Holy crap that is THE tackiest thing I have ever heard of. I think I would have overturned a bowl o' dip or two over that one.

I don't mind going to one of these type parties once in a blue moon. I go knowing I'm going to buy one or two token things, and no one is going to pressure me into buying more or having a party. If you can't do that, or you can't afford to buy anything at all, just don't go.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to a Pampered Chef Bridal Show once and it was a little awkward because the bride ends up knowing exactly how much $$ you spent on her. But it was a Pampered Chef invitation so it's not like this one was disguised (like the one amandaruth described- that is just not right!), so I knew what I was getting in for when I decided to go.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This lady use to constantly call me, like everyday, to get me to sign up to sell Mary Kay. I went to a few meetings with her and the only way I got her to stop was to tell her the truth the make up was not for me. Mary Kay always made my skin break out so I told her that and I haven't heard back from her. She would always tell me I would be perfect to sell Mary Kay because I was so busy. I was like, I'm busy and the free time I have I don't want to be selling bad makeup! Come on!

ETA: The lipstick and nail polish I did buy ended up being sticky and the nail polish was gooey....bad products. I've never known anyone who was a fan of their products. Avon has way better stuff (Plus you can buy it online without anyone hassling you) or I'd rather go to the department store on my own.

I think Mary Kay's secret motto is, "Ladies, a sucker is born every day, go out there and find our new sucker!"

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 03-02-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Is Mary Kay similar to 2 by 2?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

This is the worst thread in GC history.

I vote that it be closed and better threads be opened!

-Rudey
Old 03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Mk

I was walking through the mall the other day and this lady stopped me. She was a MK consultant. Said they were on the lookout for "sharp" looking people for before/after makeover photos. I told her that MK skin care makes me break out and that I'm an Estee Lauder and Lancome addict (both facts are true). When she left I wasn't sure if I should be flattered that she thought I was "sharp" looking or offended that she thought I needed make-over. How "sharp" can I be if you think I'm a good makeover candidate.

My least favorite home party scheme is PartyLite. Most of that stuff is just plain tacky and all of it is overpriced!! My old neighbor invited me to her MONTHLY partylite party every time and I never went. GET A CLUE!

I do like Pampered Chef because I think there is something there for everyone. If you hate to cook, there are cool things that make your life easier when you do have to cook. If you love to cook they have some neat gadgets you'll enjoy. I also like Southern Living at Home but that's just because that stuff is my style.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be awesome if Mary Kay made its consultants wear garments.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by summer_gphib
The one thing I REALLY didn't like about MK when I was selling it, was that you had to purchase a certain amount in order to get the discount. If I only needed one or two things, and hadn't purchased a big amount recently, I ended up losing money on the sell. I think that's incredibly unfair. Also the push to recruit and those cheesy CD's made me crazy.
I sold MK for about 3 months and this was the reason why I stopped. I couldn't afford to have an inventory of EVERY product and when you had to order something, you paid full price plus shipping/handling.

On another note, someone mentioned Market America. Now I haven't sold their products, but I have used them. OMG they have a cleaner called SNAP is awesome! This cleaner got jet black hair color out of my carpet (a home dye job had gotten messy ). I've also used their diet pill Thermochrome with GOOD results.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally like MK eyeshadows, eyebrow pencils and liners. I have a few friends with very sensitive skin and they use the skin care line with no breakouts or complications.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
My friend just got dropped as a Mary Kay consultant because she hadn't ordered in some time. I think it's the best thing that could have happened to her, actually. She just kept ordering and ordering and was spending loads more money than she actually brought in. (She's gone way into debt over Mary Kay stuff!) I don't doubt you can make money with Mary Kay...I know of people who have. You just have to have the right kind of personality for that type of job...it really isn't for everyone, despite what some people may say.

I like Avon stuff and I buy a lot of it. A woman in my department sells it. She gives catalogs to us when we order, or if we ask for them, and then we get our orders in on a Tuesday and we get them during the next week. No pressure. There are Avon kiosks in a couple malls near me (and there's even an actual store in Woodfield Mall). They honor the sale prices in the current campaign and sometimes they have their own promotions. (Last weekend I got a bottle of Extraordinary perfume, which I love and which is normally $25, for $15 and they threw in a free necklace. )
Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
I like Avon stuff and I buy a lot of it. A woman in my department sells it. She gives catalogs to us when we order, or if we ask for them, and then we get our orders in on a Tuesday and we get them during the next week. No pressure. There are Avon kiosks in a couple malls near me (and there's even an actual store in Woodfield Mall). They honor the sale prices in the current campaign and sometimes they have their own promotions. (Last weekend I got a bottle of Extraordinary perfume, which I love and which is normally $25, for $15 and they threw in a free necklace. )
Hey Sister Havana there's a actual Avon store in Golf Mill.