GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,349
2 members and 1,347 guests
JayhawkAOII, John

Old 03-21-2006, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
It says in the Christian Bible to "respect your mother and father..." But is also says, in so many words for parents do not cause your children to leave you or hate you... around you?
To be exact the Bible says "...provoke not your children." In dealing with my father, I realized that is what he was doing. So I tried to talk to correct the issues, and he refused. So now I know, I made the attempt to do the right thing. He chose not to follow suite. I continue to pray for him and for myself that I do not say or do anything that is wrong, but in the long run, I realized that he is dead weight to me and God cannot allow my cup to overflow with blessings, if my father is taking up the space.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It says in the Christian Bible to "respect your mother and father..." But is also says, in so many words for parents do not cause your children to leave you or hate you...

I think folks forget that part about being a responsible adult toward children, then expect to be respected due to age...

One must do respectable things in order to be respected... Besides, the issue is "reverence". Are they living a "revered" life--that is respect with joy and honor.

So don't feel bad or that it is taboo because elders are misbehaving. A child will never be the parent no matter what the age is. But a child does grow up and become an adult...

And Christ said, "I put childish things away..."

Some folks who are adults will never be at that point in their lives... So just like my Soror Redefined said, you all ain't a toxic dump, why should they leave their waste around you?
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me
Old 03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

We must remember that it takes no special abilities (mentally and emotionally) for two people to get together and hump.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
We must remember that it takes no special abilities (mentally and emotionally) for two people to get together and hump.
So true. I see the results of this (the children and the subsequential dysfunctional families) everyday at my job.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
You ain't neva lied...i have a cousin now waiting for the birth of her 4th child (can barely take care of the 3 boys she has now)....she should have stopped a long time ago. She is another one I just had to "let go and let God".

Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello Luv4Denzel,
Your mother, you and your family are in my prayers.
SC
Quote:
Originally posted by luv4denzel
Something weighing heavy on my heart:

Hello everyone. I'm new to the GC, but I had to respond to this thread. Here it goes.

My mother has not eaten in two months. She was living with my sister, and after doctors down there couldn't find out what was wrong, I went and got her and brought her up here with me. I got her in a great hospital who's had her for 3 weeks. Almost two weeks ago, they operated to remove what they thought was a blockage on her intestine which was preventing food and water from staying down. The surgeon called me after the surgery and told me that there was no blockage--my mother has cancer again (she had stomach cancer in '03, but they got it and she beat it). This time her stomach cancer is very advanced-stage 4, which is terminal. While she's not going to die tomorrow, she is going to be leaving me soon. Doctors say it's likely she'll '07 come in. She's being fed through a tube, and she's gonna get chemo in an effort to prolong her life. My sister and I are heartbroken, and we've prayed so much, I don't know what else to say to Him. My mother is my best friend. I don't know what I'm gonna do without her. She said she's ready when He's ready for her. She has no regrets, other than the possibility that she won't be around to see her only grandchildren (my 2 sons) grow up. I talk to her and see her everyday, and I've turned my third bedroom into a room for her. My mother took care of me and my children. Now it's my turn to take care of her. Please everyone, pray for my mother, Joyce Gibson Harrison. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

this may sound weird...

can u send me a pm where that scripture is found? i deal with this alot and am feeling that this will be an issue revisiting me very soon.

Quote:
It says in the Christian Bible to "respect your mother and father..." But is also says, in so many words for parents do not cause your children to leave you or hate you...

I think folks forget that part about being a responsible adult toward children, then expect to be respected due to age...

One must do respectable things in order to be respected... Besides, the issue is "reverence". Are they living a "revered" life--that is respect with joy and honor.

So don't feel bad or that it is taboo because elders are misbehaving. A child will never be the parent no matter what the age is. But a child does grow up and become an adult...

And Christ said, "I put childish things away..."

Some folks who are adults will never be at that point in their lives... So just like my Soror Redefined said, you all ain't a toxic dump, why should they leave their waste around you?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: this may sound weird...

Quote:
Originally posted by darling1
can u send me a pm where that scripture is found? i deal with this alot and am feeling that this will be an issue revisiting me very soon.
Bruh KAPPAtivating alluded to it. It is Ephesians 6:1-4.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother," which is the first commandment with a promise: "that it may be well with you, and you may live long on the earth." You fathers, don't provoke your children to wrath, but nurture them in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

There are others and I will try to find them as they come...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-23-2006, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm secretly in love with my best friend and I know I shouldn't be because we are like brother and sister. He has made it clear that he does not have feelings for me and he has a girlfriend. So why can't I shake these feelings??
Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It's probably because once you have feelings for someone, it's really hard to turn them off, regardless of whether or not they reciprocate those feelings. Also, I mean he's still in your life doing the things and being the person that he was to make you fall in love. Think of it like a shopping addict trying to beat their addiction while living next door to a mall. It won't work! Good luck with that though. I've been in your shoes and it was a long road to "recovery" but I got there.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTinguished1
I'm secretly in love with my best friend and I know I shouldn't be because we are like brother and sister. He has made it clear that he does not have feelings for me and he has a girlfriend. So why can't I shake these feelings??
Is it because the things that are "off" limits to us are the most appealing?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Hmm good point. Not sure. Thanks for the advice lovehaiku84
Old 03-24-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evaclear04
G-Ma issue

Bajan_Delta,
Trust that are a lot of people in your situation. I also have a very strained relationship w/ my G-ma. My G-ma is pushing 90 and just doesn't know when to not speak. She has been that way all her life. She is still 'colorstruck' and told me that when I married my husband that she was happy that I had dumped the 'ape' I was dating before( My previous suitor was very dark complected).
During the time when my mom was sick she would say stupid stuff like... my mom was faking and there was nothing really wrong w/ her or that the doctors were lying. When my mother passed...she was more concerned w/ the music they were playing at her wake than the fact that her FIRST DAUGHTER just died. And then being that I was the only one struggling to handle her affairs....when I had to call her to get her info for the SSN Admin. She told me that I was trying to steal her money and identity. After that I have been through w/ her ever since. I know that it looks bad.... but I can't bring myself to even call her.
Just like I would tell my Mom when her own mother would hurt her feeling w/ that crap....Let negative people suffer on their own. Surround yourself w/ positive things and you'll have positive results.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:18 PM
MsSweetness

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTinguished1
Isn't brown sugar the one where she said "why doesn't my heart do what my brain tells it to do?" Or something to that effect (saw your post in another thread). That's just how it is sometimes. Sometimes separation is good, you won't be around that person as much and it gives you time to think about the situation.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

my most recent confession:

i, too am secretly in love (wow, thats heavy, ok, really like) with this guy i work with (known him for about 2 years). he makes me laugh, which i love. as the saying goes, "make a girl laugh and you can make her do anything." i guess this is true, cause i've fallen head over heels for him (don't worry, i havent become totally spineless for him--i'm still me). i think he may be into me, there's been a lot of flirtation and innuendo lately. then again, you never know with men...

i'm really apprehensive about making a move. i've never had a man reciprocate romantic feelings towards me and i don't know how to handle it. and most of this stems from the lack of self-esteem i formerly suffered from (it's gotten a lot better!), but in the realm of relationships, i still feel like i don't deserve him or any great guy.