GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,399
0 members and 1,399 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2003, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

this may be off topic but....

...i have wondered for years what the heck is Killarney rose? and a Jacquemont rose?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:28 AM

Re: this may be off topic but....

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
...i have wondered for years what the heck is Killarney rose? and a Jacquemont rose?
Here's some info on our beloved General Jaqueminot Rose!

From our International Website: "The Nineteenth Century French rose, General Jacqueminot, a deep red rose, was chosen as the flower of Alpha Omicron Pi because its color is the symbol of the central and essential virtue of the Fraternity. Its choice had no connection with any legend, poem or story. This strong red rose, with its overtones of courage and vigor, was selected for its richness of color and fragrance, combines with softness and modesty of bearing. The Jacqueminot Rose is not available at most florists, so any deep red rose which is available may be used."

More info about the rose itself is at http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/00802.htm

PS--Good luck to your sister, IowaHawkeye! I can't wait to see which of her three wonderful choices is her new home!

Christin
Old 02-05-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former (long long time ago) sorority girl at UMD, I am having so much fun reading your sisters experience!

Just out of curiosity, is your sister "preppy"? I'm trying to guess where she will end up.

And, secondly, you said she was invited to 8 out of the 10 houses during that round. Which two didn't extend an invite? Do you know.

Again, I'm trying to glean as much info of your sister as I can to see if I am right where she will go.

I have already guessed myself.

I wish her the best of luck. She will have a blast tonight. Pref is amazing.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

aabby - what sorority where you in at UMD?!? obviously it's not me rushing so it won't influence any decisions

"preppy" huh? i guess i would consider both of us preppy... she loves jcrew, banana republic, gap...

after the round of 10 she wasn't invited back to sigma delta tau and alpha epsilon phi. she has her thoughts on why, please no one get offended. maryland has a very high population of jewish students, both SDT and AEPhi are historically jewish, and she's not jewish. Obviously she nor i know if that's why she wasn't invited back - your guess is as good as mine!

From the way she describes the 3 houses I think I already know where she will go as well...

What's your guess, I'm dying to know
Old 02-05-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Since she cut Theta -- which is in my opinion one of the top houses among two of the three where she is going to pref (and the third is oh so close to being in the top group as well) my guess is Tri Delt.

I was in one of the houses she is going to pref so I won't tell you until the decision is made!

Tell your sister she is giving an old broad like me a nice daily diversion!
Old 02-05-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Another gift idea...

I'm thinking of doing this for my great grand littles initiation, a turtle (our local mascot) in a white dress...how about Build a Bears?www.buildabear.com
They have a panda and some other fun animals and you may find other mascots there as well.
If she's into stuffed animals like me I know she would like it!
Old 02-05-2003, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Iowa, I've been trying to send my response to you but it won't let me.

This web site sucks. It's the most frustrating site I've been on.

Sorry about that!
Old 02-06-2003, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Just got off the phone with my sister

She had an AMAZING pref experience... she went to house #1 and talked to a girl who she called her own "rush crush" her and this girl had so much to talk about! my sister absolutely loved her and she said the girl really wanted her to be her sister and she thought she would make a great sister. Then the sorority sisters sang to the girls and shared what their sisterhoods ment - then they threw a symbol of the sorority (i'm not going to tell you what b/c would give it away ) into a fountain.

After this my sister was really confused, b/c going into pref she had considered this house her 3rd choice...

Then she went to house #2 and there again she had an awesome awesome experience. The girl she talked to told her she had to join that sorority, she'd make such an amazing sister, everyone in the house loved her. Again they sang, told stories, and threw a symbol of the sosority into a fountain. The girl here told her she hoped her wish was the same as hers...

after this house she was even more confused... she had absolutley loved them both. pref changed her outlook - she could see herself as sisters with any of these women...

then she went to house #3... and she knew. this was her home, no doubts about it. the girl here wrote her a letter telling her how much she wanted her as a sister, how much all of the other sisters loved getting to know her the past week, what a great sisterhood they have and how great of a sister she would make. they sang, they listened to sisterhood stories, they lit candles, and they also dropped a symbol of the sorority (still not telling ) into a fountain.

my sister said she felt confident leaving house #3 that that would be her new home...

she ended up ranking them #3, #2, #1

She finds out tomorrow around 1ish... so i'll let you all know then
Old 02-06-2003, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Aaaaagh! The waiting is torture! I wonder how I ever survived my own rush since other people's experiences make me so nervous!

No matter what, it sounds like Sara's going to be a happy girl in a few hours!
Old 02-06-2003, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

i think she'll be very happy tracy of course, if she was going to be a DZ i think it would go beyond happy and into overjoyed
Old 02-06-2003, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm SO excited for her! I sure hope she's calling you the moment she finds out. And that you're running straight for GC to tell us as soon as she tells you!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Has she gotten her bid yet? It's about that time!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry it has taken me so long to let all of you know... GC has been acting weird and i had class

My sister told me last night that after pref, she would be totally happy with any of her 3 choices....

Well she didn't have to worry, b/c she got her first choice....
She's a very proud, very estatic, very happy new member of....

Delta Delta Delta!!!!

I'm so happy for her! it's a fabulous organization - she wants to be a pediatric oncologist and their philanthropy goes along with that. She loves her new sisters!

Some of my best friends here are Tri-Delts, and they pitched in some money, so we sent her a dozen yellow roses with a blue and silver bow around the vase!

She had 2 of her friends go AOPi, 3 went Theta, 1 other went Tri-Delt, 2 went KD! She's so excited to have friends in the other orgs
Old 02-06-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to your sister! I'm so happy for her!
Old 02-06-2003, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye

Some of my best friends here are Tri-Delts, and they pitched in some money, so we sent her a dozen yellow roses with a blue and silver bow around the vase!

Aww...how sweet of your friends to do that! What panhellenic spirit! ('cos you're not a Tri Delta yourself).

Please tell your sister that we all say congratulations!

.....Kelly