GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,084
3 members and 1,081 guests
Mooch279

Old 09-07-2002, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nwsigkap
Alpha's at Northwest really play up the red thing too. At recruitment tea for us where every sorority gets up and sings a song, they ALWAYS wear red dresses and red shoes. It's one of their traditions that will probably never change. Tri Sigmas wear sailor hats short sleeved white button ups and navy shorts. Once again, probably will never change.

Good luck with the rest of recruitment ToBeSororityGrl! And good luck to AnnieSigKap too! It's great to hear everything is going well! We're having an awsome time too! When's bid day? You better be posting your results in the Sig Kap forum!
Old 09-07-2002, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
Arrow Re: Erm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark_in_Skirt

Pardon me, I don't mean to be rude in any aspect whatsoever... but don't you find that a little mean to say of girls who could very well become your fellow sisters?
I'm sure I could say somebody LOOKED "homelyish" to mean sort of bland and laid back, without meaning that they ARE homely. (and looking bland and laid back is not a bad thing). I'd say that for someone who's probably nervous about feeling competitive, finding girls without makeup would be surprising--and I'm sure she was posting in relief that she could be more at ease with these other girls. I'm 100% confident that TBSG in no way meant to defame any of her potential sisters!

And about the ASA's at Truman--definitely *cute* with the red skirt and white shirt! It's a trademark I'd say

I got like 4 hours of sleep last night so I think I'm going to stop commenting on random things and give myself a rest

~April
Old 09-07-2002, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to one invite later on today. I'm really happy with who invited me, because deep down they were my first choice. Last year they invited me also so I really think it's meant to be. I hope all goes well, but if it doesn't, I'll be ok. I don't want to reveal which sorority I will be seeing tonight until my rush thread is over.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I was going to say which one I was rooting for, but in case it's not where you're going, I'm going to say HAVE FUN TONIGHT AND GOOD LUCK!!! Keeping my figners crossed for you!
Old 09-07-2002, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Good luck ToBe! Have a wonderful time!
Old 09-07-2002, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your encouranging words. I'm getting more and more excited as I wait for my party. Because of rush I could behind on my schoolwork so maybe it's better that I didn't get all 5 invites because now I'm getting caught up.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush has changed a bit at the University of Tennesse since I graduated, but when I was there, every chapter member wore the exact same "costume" for each round of rush. Now multiply that by 14! Now, the chapters are not allowed to require members to purchase (i.e. have made) special outfits. Instead, they'll all wear short-sleeved black dresses for one round, for example. It would have been nice to have something I could actually wear again, unlike the unlined white satin dress with poofy sleeves (this was the 1980s) with a neckline that sat right outside your bra straps (you either pulled the straps down into the aforementioned poofy, elasticized sleeves, or wore a strapless bra to class all day, because you barely had time to change before pref). Ah, SEC rush. Costumes are cute, though, and the ASA's outfits sound adorable.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:15 PM

DeltaBeta Baby, I have two words for you: Longwood jumpers. You can search their sorority sites and see what I mean...but they've done it since the beginning of time and apparently is a big hit.

It is interesting though, how something that's a tradition one place can be another place...
Old 09-07-2002, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I'd be really surprised to receive a pref invite tommorow. It went really badly
Old 09-07-2002, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

You're just tired, sweetie ... did anything in particular happen that has you worried? Let us talk you through it. We've all been there.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry to hear that. If you feel like telling us about it, we're all here to listen, and if you don't that's okay too, of course. I'm sorry you feel that way. Are you sure it went badly? I'm thinking good thoughs for you right now.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:24 PM

TBSG, let us know if there's anything we can do to help you right now. Silverblue is right, we're here for you. Maybe it's not as bad as you're thinking, I certainly hope it isn't. <<HUGS>>

Christin
Old 09-07-2002, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

the party went badly

Before I got ready I looked at a pamplet we got about the sorority and I wrote out some questions just about the sorority to ask because I genuinly cared to know the answers.

My friends styled my hair. They actually curled it and pinned my front bangs really neatly, so I looked very nice. I wore a black dress that has two flowers on it that flows to my knees and the back neck is flowable (if that makes sense). I appeared as if I took some time and energy into my oufit. I think that shows dedication and is a nice thing to do when you are presenting yourself. I felt confident when I walked into the party then it went awry.

Last year when I walked in, the active grabbed me and another PNM. The PNM answered questions for me. She actually told the active what year in school I was and where I lived at school and away from school and she didn't even know me! I didn't get to talk at all last year, and well it happened again.

I walked in and the actives on the right and left did not grab me and I saw a active with another PNM grab me. The active sat in front of her so I felt like an oddball out already. The PNM talked about russian language for oh 10 minutes! I don't take russian so therefore I had nothing to say. The active finally asked me if I had taken a foreign language and I said I took french for 6 years but stopped this year because I was too far that I didn't want to minor and she was like oh ok. End of conversation. I tried to ask my sorority specific questions and well those didn't go too well.

As I looked around the room I noticed how many one on one conversations were going on. I was fortunate to be one of the 4 two person groups. Were there plenty of actives standing around? Yup, better believe it.

So, I'd be real surprised if they'd be interested in boring old me.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

TBSG,
Yes, please let us know if we can support you or answer questions. Pm any of us, we'd be glad to help that way too.
violets
Old 09-07-2002, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up sweetie, the sun will come up

your attitude is good...your heart is good...if it doesn't happen
you'll do just fine...
don't give up or put your head down.
lol