GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,475
2 members and 1,473 guests
LaneSig, lauren_ash0

Old 06-22-2013, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizeree I2K View Post
Short period of time? Really dude? It took a lot longer than 50-60 years of struggling. I'm talking over 400 years. And we still have a long way to go. These legal documents still crack me up. Everybody is some kind of "American". African American, Asian American, Native American, and the list goes on. I'm still waiting on "European American", when is that going to be added to the list? We haven't come a long way. Race is still an issue, and white folks TODAY are still the ones benefiting from all the oppression and bullshit they put us through.

And today it's the same shit different toilet.
While we still have long way to go, you really can't say that we we haven't come a long way. Slavery no longer exist, and there are legal protections against other kinds of discrimination. In fact this whole Paula Deen thing illustrates how far we have gone because of the sheer amount of outrage her comments are causing.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Poppi :P View Post
I'm in school to become a gastroenterologist assistant, and you wouldn't believe the struggles I am having. I'm also a white guy. Black people aren't the only people who struggle in this country.
LOL @ Dr. Wackenstein over here talkin shit with two posts. Dude, take your trollin, Arnold Poppin ass somewhere and fuck off. Up in here posting pics of some dude sitting in a chair bustin his ass, and then gonna turn around and expect folks to take you seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
While we still have long way to go, you really can't say that we we haven't come a long way. Slavery no longer exist, and there are legal protections against other kinds of discrimination. In fact this whole Paula Deen thing illustrates how far we have gone because of the sheer amount of outrage her comments are causing.
Don't tell me what I can and can't say. The physical act of slavery no longer exist, but the damage of it does.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

And I'm not saying it doesn't. All I'm saying is that things have progressed a long way. They just need to progress more.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The physical act of slavery no longer exist, but the damage of it does.
Word.

http://www.tracingcenter.org/
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Poppi :P View Post
I'm in school to become a gastroenterologist assistant, and you wouldn't believe the struggles I am having. I'm also a white guy. Black people aren't the only people who struggle in this country.
What a coincidence. I have some links for you in my signature.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Short period of time? Really dude? It took a lot longer than 50-60 years of struggling. I'm talking over 400 years. And we still have a long way to go. These legal documents still crack me up. Everybody is some kind of "American". African American, Asian American, Native American, and the list goes on. I'm still waiting on "European American", when is that going to be added to the list? We haven't come a long way. Race is still an issue, and white folks TODAY are still the ones benefiting from all the oppression and bullshit they put us through.
Perfect example of the self-pitying whining that's so prelevant among AAs these days. If race is still such an issue, make your life better! Colleges out there are tripping all over themselves to fill their quotas; small business loans are available for minorities. DO something about it.

Personally, I'm tired of everyone getting all upset because someone dropped the N-bomb. It's like when Whitey was going after Rev. Wright for things he said, everyone getting their panties in a twist because of words.

I'm a proud, strong, well-eductated Black Woman and I don't give a damn if someone calls me That Word. It doesn't affect me one way or another and it shouldnt' affect you either.

Last edited by Nine Jewels; 06-22-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Aside from some discrimination when I was pregnant, unemployed and actively seeking work, I haven't experienced first hand the sort of issues I think Miz is talking about. It's hard for me to have a well informed opinion. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I share my office with a 55 year old black man. I'm a 30 something white woman. He's become my mentor, and I learn more about geology and groundwater and soil remediation from him than I have anyone or anything else. Fifty years ago, this would have been seriously scandalous, if not completely illegal. Nowadays, it's not a biggie. (We call our office the Greek corner. He's an Alpha Phi Alpha and another guy whose desk is right outside is a Teke.) Since our groups share colors, we feel we share even more of a bond. He came from privilege though, so even he has admitted it's harder for him to identify with past history.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I figure that since my great grandmomma who spent all her 98 years in the heart of Dixie and even knew people who fought in the Civil War could realize the horrible wrongs committed and went on to work in the civil rights movement, then there is no excuse for someone of Miss Paula's generation to continue to be this way. It's sad to say there are people who will still be racist and say horrible things in nonmixed company but I for one will give them a piece of my mind when they do!
Preach it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
I am Black and I approve of this message.
LOL!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

This came a week too later to inform my American Lit. 1865-present's class discussion on "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and the charge of racism. For the mid-term I had them write about the critical controversy regarding the portrayal of Jim and use of THAT word. I have a very diverse class this semester - several international students, who provided very interesting perspectives, and a cross-section of races. I got some really interesting essays. I told them that honestly I didn't care which side they came down upon, as long as they were thoughtful and backed up their assertions with quotes from the text. Good stuff.

Regarding Paula Deen - I've long thought she was over-exposed. I'd gotten tired of her southern butter schtick. Her rabid fans will keep her in butter, no doubt. I'm disappointed that now we will have even more "southern = racist" stereotyping.( I heard the n-word more when I lived in New Jersey then when I lived in Virginia, Tennessee or Texas - admittedly, a limited survey sample.) I always fear that the rest of the country seems to like to make the south their racism scapegoat, so they can smugly believe that it is a problem THERE and not HERE. On the plus side, it's at least got people talking about racism.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 06-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Why do I know what? That I probably wouldn't quote "Gone With the Wind" in a thread about possible racism or racial insensitivity of someone who appears to have considered an antebellum wedding reception? Or that "tomorrow is another day" was Scarlet O'Hara's signature line, and the last line of the book and movie?
Never mind, it was late when I posted and I thought you meant Paula Deen was quoting GWTW, just now noticed it was the other poster you were referring to.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My turn to chime in! First, the trolls are awesome in their obviousness and desire merely to stir the pot.

Second, while I am a born and bred Upper Midwestern gal, I used to work occasionally in Atlanta. To my surprise the office where I worked seemed more racially inclusive than any I'd ever been involved with. I contend that in southern cities where they really addressed the issue, they have achieved a higher level of racial neutrality (for lack of a better phrase) than in northern cities that never felt that they needed to or were compelled to.

But back to the issue at hand, there has been some pretty negative stuff floating around about Paula Deen for years. I don't recall it being racist as much as being "I'm rich and you can suck it," which is disappointing considering her back story.

There was a time when she seemed folksy and down to earth, but now she seems like a too much makeup too much jewelry money grubber. IMO of course.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL @ Dr. Wackenstein over here talkin shit with two posts. Dude, take your trollin, Arnold Poppin ass somewhere and fuck off. Up in here posting pics of some dude sitting in a chair bustin his ass, and then gonna turn around and expect folks to take you seriously.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
I am Black and I approve of this message.
ILU heathen girl.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Colored?

How do people feel about the use of Colored in this regard? I've got an 86 year old neighbor who will still use this term sometimes. Note he voted for Obama, twice.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Aw man, I came over here to see if "Arnold Poppi" replied to Mizeree I2K. He's gone. Just the username alone was freaking hilarious!
HARRIS/WALZ 2024