Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,496
1 members and 1,495 guests
Mooch279

Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignasty View Post
Like I told you the first two times the minimum that has to go to the victims is only 10%.
Like I told you, you're wrong.

Quote:
John Stossel did a story for 20/20 a few years ago on the Red Cross and non profits. Some of the execs in the story were making 6 or 7 figures. According to Stossel only 10% of the donations had to go to the victims and as much as 90% could be spent on expenses.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey MC? What field of law are you in anyway? I remember you stating that you are a member of the SCOTUS bar, but can't remember if you said what field you were in.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Hey MC? What field of law are you in anyway?
Civil litigation - trial and appellate.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Dude like people have been telling you, you need to cite this shit. The lawyers, as well as an employee of a non profit are saying that they have no idea where this stat is coming from.
He did.

"I saw it on TV"

And if you can't accept that well, tough luck, homes...

...and pull your pants up.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
John Stossel did a story for 20/20 a few years ago on the Red Cross and non profits. Some of the execs in the story were making 6 or 7 figures. According to Stossel only 10% of the donations had to go to the victims and as much as 90% could be spent on expenses.
Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! LOL!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am right. Cite a source proving me wrong.
No problem.

Quote:
To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

Section 501(c)(3) organizations are restricted in how much political and legislative (lobbying) activities they may conduct.
Source: http://www.irs.gov/charities/charita...=96099,00.html

To recap:

1) The expenses of a non-profit (administrative, fundraising, programming) must be tied directly to its exempt purposes.

2) Expenses may not inure to any private shareholder or individual, meaning that no single person can benefit unreasonably from a non-profit's activities.

3) Expenses cannot go toward attempting to influence legislation as a substantial part of the non-profit's activities.

These are the rules.

In reality, a non-profit can spend 100% of its revenue on salaries if it wanted to, as long as no private inurement took place.

There is no such thing as a 10%/90% rule as you're suggesting. Either you heard wrong or the "reporter" was blowing smoke.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL. You really are too funny. To quote an "authority:"

Quote:
Look it up yourself.
Quote:
I don't need help making the point. I already made it.
Hey, you're the one who set the rule that we can claim whatever we want without backing it up. (And sorry, Stossel as an authority is just plain laughable.)

Whatever. At the end of the day, you're still wrong. And sad.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

http://us.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/america...ex.html?hpt=T1

Wow.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
A very fortunate individual!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimano View Post

The legal minimum is 10% and the maximum is obviously 100%. The 90% that I mentioned was the max that a charity can spend on administrative costs, ads, fundraising, overhead, junkets to Hawaii, ect.
Which is not true.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then prove it. Posting the max does not dispute my post of the minimum.
There is no law that can be referenced which supports your assertion. I actually think you're confused -- perhaps you are familiar with a specific grant which requires that figure and you're misinterpreting that for a hard and fast rule in every situation.

The sources have already been cited.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you an idiot? Your post does not dispute anything. I said the legal MINIMUM a charity has to spend on the victims is 10%. You reply with a charity can spend 100%. No Shirlock.

The legal minimum is 10% and the maximum is obviously 100%. The 90% that I mentioned was the max that a charity can spend on administrative costs, ads, fundraising, overhead, junkets to Hawaii, ect.
She said "In reality, a non-profit can spend 100% of its revenue on salaries if it wanted to, as long as no private inurement took place." She did not say that a charity can spend on victims. She said they can spend 100% on SALARIES.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you an idiot? Your post does not dispute anything. I said the legal MINIMUM a charity has to spend on the victims is 10%. You reply with a charity can spend 100%. No Shirlock.

If you had told me you had a reading comprehension problem, I would have tried to break it down further. My post presents the law. There is no law that states any legal minimum that the Red Cross must spend on victims.

A charity can spend 100% on administrative costs if it so chooses. However, charities tend to follow recommendations from various national non-profit watchdog organizations and attempt to make themselves look good to donors by limiting their overhead and fundraising/development costs.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
If you had told me you had a reading comprehension problem, I would have tried to break it down further.
I think he has a you're-banned-we-don't-want-you-here-go-away comprehension problem.

It's really pointless to respond to or argue with him -- it just gives him the attention he so obviously craves, and he's going to get banned again anyway.