Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,277
2 members and 1,275 guests
IllyPolly, LaneSig

Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar281 View Post
So is there a way to tell someone you're going to law school without sounding pretentious?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why it would sound pretentious to respond to a question like "So what are you doing now/next year," with a simple "Going to law school." I mean, unless you stick your nose in the air when you say it . . . .

I think it only sounds pretentious if you say it pretentiously.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why it would sound pretentious to respond to a question like "So what are you doing now/next year," with a simple "Going to law school." I mean, unless you stick your nose in the air when you say it . . . .

Agreed. There's nothing pretentious about gonig to law school. Tens of thousands of people do it every year. I have no idea where you're going to school, maybe if you were going to Harvard or Yale or something it could come off as pretentious. But there's plenty of law schools that aren't all that hard to get into, so I don't get why you don't want to say you're going to law school.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was reading "pretentious" more as the "unwarranted claim" definition than the snobby definition. I thought his comment was more aimed towards "When can I say I'm in law school without jinxing myself?"
Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

That's how I took it as well. Otherwise, the correct response to "Im in law school" is "Oh, you poor dear."
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Eh, It's just my personality I guess. I don't mind telling people that I know when they ask but the other night I was out at a bar making small talk with someone I had just met and I hated the way it sounded when it came out of my mouth. I'm sure some people like to use it as a pickup line but it's just not my style.

/edit: weird...when I responded this thread was only up to page 42

Last edited by Kevlar281; 07-14-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar281 View Post
That's good advice. Lately I've just said "graduate school." It seems to cut down on the wow factor.

Am I the only one who thinks Kevlar is being ridiculous?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Apparently so since others took the time to respond.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That's not true. I don't say it pretentiously, but I still had people respond in a negative manner. I think sometimes people will respond negatively even if you are not snobby about it.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
And it's sunny outside because I ate an M&M.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And it's sunny outside because I ate an M&M.
Be as sarcastic as you like, but the fact remains that based on the other responses no one thinks Kevlar is being ridiculous. Perhaps YOU are the one being ridiculous. What was the point in responding just to say you think Kevlar is being ridiculous? Just ignore it and keep it moving.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
5 weeks until classes start! I'm going to relish the fact that at the moment I am super excited, because I know it won't last long.
I wouldn't say that. You will have frustrating and tiring days, that's true. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my first year. It was awesome. You may have the same experience. good luck though and make sure you do your OWN outlines. Don't rely on the outlines of other students.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Be as sarcastic as you like, but the fact remains that based on the other responses no one thinks Kevlar is being ridiculous.
Don't put words into other people's mouths. I posted, and though I didn't come right out and say it, I do think he's being ridiculous.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers01 View Post
im not really anywhere near actually applying to law school as I am starting my undergrad freshman year this fall and am going to major in political science and do pre-law, although its always possible i may change my mind and go on a different path at during the next 4 years but assuming i stay with this plan, i have a few questions to people who have gone through the process of applying to law schools already. ive heard that law schools do give out full rides in some cases, can anyone give an example of the type of LSAT score that would most likely result in the school offering this?
It's certainly not unheard of to receive a full ride - especially from the smaller or tier-3-type schools. Some schools weight GPA more, some weight LSAT, some demographic factors - it's kind of out of your control.

In a lot of ways, it's a sliding scale - I know of full scholarship offers ranging anywhere from 3.95/160 to 3.0/175, although from smaller or regional mid-tiers. Money is definitely available, probably slightly more so than many people expect - just maybe not at Large State U. or T14 Law (depending on numbers).

However, ksigkid's probably right - just worry about grades for now, and you'll know a LOT more (in about 2,000,000 ways) in 4 years.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Be as sarcastic as you like, but the fact remains that based on the other responses no one thinks Kevlar is being ridiculous.
You might want to read what kddani and I said. We didn't use the word "ridiculous," but I think it was clear we both thought this was not worth worrying about.
Quote:
Quote:
That's not true. I don't say it pretentiously, but I still had people respond in a negative manner. I think sometimes people will respond negatively even if you are not snobby about it.
I said it only sounds pretentious if you say it pretentiously. I did not say that people will never react negatively, however unreasonable or unwarranted that reaction might be.

You said you don't say it pretentiously (meaning, presumably, it doesn't sound pretentious when you say it), but some people still react negatively "even if you are not snobby about it." So what you said doesn't in the least disprove what I said. It simply proves that some people react in unwarranted ways.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You might want to read what kddani and I said. We didn't use the word "ridiculous," but I think it was clear we both thought this was not worth worrying about.

I said it only sounds pretentious if you say it pretentiously. I did not say that people will never react negatively, however unreasonable or unwarranted that reaction might be.

You said you don't say it pretentiously (meaning, presumably, it doesn't sound pretentious when you say it), but some people still react negatively "even if you are not snobby about it." So what you said doesn't in the least disprove what I said. It simply proves that some people react in unwarranted ways.
Saying it's not worth worrying about and saying Kevlar is being ridiculous are two different things. I don't see what is so ridiculous about it anyway, but that is probably becausd as i said already this was something I had to deal with as well.

As far as whether it sounds pretentious, my point was that it can still SOUND pretentious to people even if you don't SAY it pretentiously. The fact that you are saying that you are going to law school sometimes makes people think you are being "snooty" or something.