GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Well I'm not talking about box office receipts, I'm talking about the way United 93 was treated by critics. It was like a kid gloves thing, and I just don't get it. I just hope that in WTC they talk about more than just the small story which is the focus of the movie. Like I said about Saving Private Ryan, they were able to do both. I actually like the idea of focusing on a small part of the disaster, but I also know how big movies tend to dominate the memory of an event. I would just prefer the big long-remembered 9/11 movie to be one that is a little more encompassing than this one appears to be. We'll see.
There was no single big movie about WWII. There were many. My guess is that we'll see quite a few movies about 9-11 before anyone has the balls to make one that aspires to show the big picture of that day.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, WWII was obviously a much "bigger" event in that there was much more to cover. I hope there are quite a few good 9/11 movies. I think the A&E or Discovery channel flight 93 thing was the best I've seen thus far (I think it was on one of those channels). It did a good job talking about 93, and also about what was happening in NY and DC.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

amen.......

very well said.

Quote:
I hate the notion of this as a Hollywood blockbuster. I'm making no judgement about whether they should do it or not, but it simply bothers me to see big name actors working for mega directors in a romanticized film about American tragedy. I'd much rather see a documentary film with compiled footage of the actual event. I feel at times that the sheer brutality of this event is slipping away from the American memory, and I think blockbuster type films like this don't help. I also really don't want people to remember the 9/11 heroes, and picture Nick Cage. As I mentioned before, God knows our hollywood celebrities don't deserve any honor such as that.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

A Review of WTC...

The Presence of God in World Trade Center

by Marc T. Newman, Ph.D.
print friendly

When Steven Spielberg remade War of the Worlds, my biggest complaint was that, amid all of this mayhem, the audience never once sees Ray Ferrier, the frantic father, pray. Unlike the 1953 original, in which everyone across the country was huddled in churches petitioning God for deliverance from the Martian spacecrafts, by 2005, I guess, no one had an inclination to call out to the Almighty as heat rays were vaporizing everything in sight. I just didn't buy it. But where family-friendly Spielberg, who made The Prince of Egypt, could not find a place for God in his remake, in steps Oliver Stone – an equally accomplished, if often subversive, filmmaker -- and surprises everyone. His God-infused World Trade Center is the most spiritually honest film of the year. Stone uncovers every Christian aspect of this true story and gives it full voice. The results linger long after the lights come up.

World Trade Center tells the real-life story of Sergeant John McLoughlin and Officer Will Jimeno, both from the Port Authority Police Department in New York City. Answering the call on September 11, 2001, men from the Port Authority rushed to the scene. But nothing could have prepared them for this nightmare scenario in broad daylight. The twin towers of the World Trade Center were blazing, people threw themselves to their deaths from the upper floors to escape immolation, and more were trapped inside trying to find a way out. Five brave volunteers from the Port Authority stepped forward to do what they vowed – to protect and serve. They entered the tower to get others out and found themselves in the middle of the most horrific building collapse in history. After helping others to freedom, three of the five died, and McLoughlin and Jimeno were trapped. And deep in the twisted rubble they did what most people would do: they talked, they pored over their lives, and they prayed. From prayer comes comfort, and, out in the world, sacrificial action; action that moves from death to life.

For the Full Article - Click Here
Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Keeping this short - you can reread my posts in United 93.

I watched the towers fall from across the river. I didn't see United 93, I won't see WTC. I can't even see the commercials/trailers. I got choked up reading Russ' post. I am one of those for whom never would be too soon.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this movie yesterday and while it isn't a 5-star or 2 thumbs up type of movie, it was very well put together. Nicolas Cage didn't have an outstanding performance, but really put the emotion and pain in it. It was actually very touching to see how two men encouraged each other, remained strong for one another, and the impact of their families during this time. I strongly recommend this movie...it is not your typical "hollywood" movie! The trailers and commercials do not give this movie justice. It wasn't romanticized or overly graphic. Overall, it's a good movie telling the events through the eyes of two men trapped in a building that were rescued - #18 and #19.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
I just found out my old neighbor wrote the screenplay.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw the movie on Thursday.

I thought the actors did an incredible job. I got chocked up right from the beginning of the movie. Thankfully, Oliver Stone didn't attempt to recreate the plans crashing in or the towers falling. He relied strictly on CNN clippings (which would have been all the wives and family would have seen).

It is amazing that those men survived not only the first tower going down but then the second and WTC 7.

My only issue, which wasn't with the movie, it was with someone in the audience, they brought their like 7 year old to the theater. Of course this kid had really no idea what the hell was going on. The kid kept asking questions (quite loudly). I just thought (and still do think) that WTC is a completely INAPPROPRIATE move to take a 7 year old to. The kid was only like 2 when it happened, so he/she had no idea the hell people went through. For me it was laziness on the parents part. They wanted to see the movie, didn't want to find a babysitter and took the kid to a movie they shouldn't have been seeing. God, if I had seen this movie at 7 years old, I probably would have had nightmares. End my rant.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi
I saw the movie on Thursday.

I thought the actors did an incredible job. I got chocked up right from the beginning of the movie. Thankfully, Oliver Stone didn't attempt to recreate the plans crashing in or the towers falling. He relied strictly on CNN clippings (which would have been all the wives and family would have seen).

It is amazing that those men survived not only the first tower going down but then the second and WTC 7.

My only issue, which wasn't with the movie, it was with someone in the audience, they brought their like 7 year old to the theater. Of course this kid had really no idea what the hell was going on. The kid kept asking questions (quite loudly). I just thought (and still do think) that WTC is a completely INAPPROPRIATE move to take a 7 year old to. The kid was only like 2 when it happened, so he/she had no idea the hell people went through. For me it was laziness on the parents part. They wanted to see the movie, didn't want to find a babysitter and took the kid to a movie they shouldn't have been seeing. God, if I had seen this movie at 7 years old, I probably would have had nightmares. End my rant.

Tried to see it last night and had a similar experience... I ended up having to walk out and ask for my money back because of some audience members.

I wanted to see the movie, to see how they captured the events of that day, and to see the story of the two men told. I did not go to the theatre to have Billy Bob Bible-Thumper and his congregation preach, pray, or shout out their world views in the theatre... Unfortunately the town nearest my cottage is currently being infested with a travelling tent-revival preacher and congregation that travels up from Ohio to "bring the word" to us godless Canadians - they've been doing it every year since they came to protest the Pope when he visited Martyr's Shrine in Midland.

They should been gone around Labour Day... maybe then I'll go in and see the movie, to appreciate it for what it is.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm holding off on seeing it until it comes to DVD because I feel that it is more of a private thing.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

We all have our rights to form our own opinions on anything we wish.

That said, read what the NYers on this board have written.

That day, there was no 6 degrees of seperation in operation in the Tri-State area. Two or less. Much less.

I have seen this movie, as well as two or three on Flight 93.

They have helped, after almost 5 years, put the thoughts and pictures that were floating in my mind and heart in some sort of order.

As for too soon???? Think back a bit: "Remember The Alamo", "Remember The Maine", "Remember Pearl Harbor", "Remember Wake Island", "Remember The Death March" et al....How many movies were being filmed during WW II? The last War Bond sales drive was "driven" by the three remaining flag raisers from Iwo Jima. How many books are out about the Civil War-the bloodist war in US history? BTB the last CW widow just died. What I am getting at is yes people are earning money off of these projects but IMHO not to exploit them. And yes, some family and friends may never get over it and will alway say "Too Soon". That is their right to feel and beleive that way but everyone has the right to their own chose and decision.
I just read a survy that people have already forgotten the year which the WTC was attacked-the second time. I do have a hard time remembering the first time-I do recall having a 103 fever that day.

Both 93 and WTC try to hold to the truth( in the small part that they are showing), people who where there either are in the movies and/or advised those who are. Just yesterday, the other Marine in WTC was found in Ohio and the PAPD cops confirmed his ID!

The following is something I started on a wall at Ground Zero a few weeks after the attack with a few short lines. It is now something I send out to my family & friends on 9/11 every year:

FDNY Fire Code: 5-5-5-5

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1918, inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields," Moina Michael replied with her own poem:

We Shall Keep the Faith
Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,

Sleep sweet - to rise anew!

We caught the torch you threw

And holding high, we keep the Faith
With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red

That grows on fields where valor led;

It seems to signal to the skies

That blood of heroes never dies,
But lends a lustre to the red
Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red

We wear in honor of our dead.

Fear not that ye have died for naught;

We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my friends and my Brothers, who now sit with Minerva-I Remember
To the 2,800 plus 1-I Remember
To those in the Pentagon-I Remember
To the Flight Crews and Passengers of Flights AA 77, AA 11 and UA 175-I Remember
To the Flight Crew and Passengers of Flight UA 93-I Remember
To all the Uniformed workers-I Remember
To the Armed Forces-I Remember
To the Health care workers, who helped so much, and wanted and waited to give more, to do more-I Remember
To the Tradesmen, who went in to search, recover, and to rebuild-I Remember
To the Volunteers, from near and far, who dropped everything to help-I Remember
To those who made it out-I Remember
To those who did not come out-I Remember
To all the Victims, the Hero's,
Their families, their friends:
You are, and always will be, Remembered
You will never be forgotten
We will never forget
For those in the service of our Country-We have your six and hope for your safe return.
To our Friends and Allies, across the Pond and around the World: We Remember. We are Not Afraid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/twothousandone.htm

http://www.projectrebirth.org/
http://www.nationalparks.org/flight93/default.asp
http://www.tuesdayschildren.org/
The Gettysburg Address-If done today/Updated-What Lincoln might really have said at Ground Zero http://www.msnbc.com/news/806286.asp?0na=x229N3f0-
British sites set up after the Tube bombings July, 2005:
http://www.werenotafraid.com/
http://www.unite-against-terror.com/
For those who have lost loved ones:
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/poems/tothefamilies.htm
For the Men and Women of New York's Finest-The NYPD and the PAPD-The Policeman's Prayer:
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/special/policeman.htm
http://www.nysfop.org/wtc/nypdvideo.html
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/rth9-11memorial.html
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/memorial.html
http://www.nysfop.org/wtc/papdvideo.html
http://www.nysfop.org/wtc/fopvideo.html
For the Men and Women of New York's Bravest-The FDNY and EMS-The Fireman's Prayer:
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/Special/firemen.htm
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/fdny/media/tribute/tribute.html
For the Doctors, Nurses and all other medical professionals:
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/special/aphysiciansprayer.htm
http://mrmom.amaonline.com/special/anurse.htm

O valiant hearts who to your glory came

through dust of conflict and through battle flame;

tranquil you lie, your knightly virtue proved,

your memory hallowed in the land you loved.

Proudly you gathered, rank on rank, to war
as who had heard God's message from afar;
all you had hoped for, all you had, you gave,
to save mankind — yourselves you scorned to save.

Splendid you passed, the great surrender made;
into the light that nevermore shall fade;
deep your contentment in that blest abode,
who wait the last clear trumpet-call of God.

Long years ago, as earth lay dark and still,
rose a loud cry upon a lonely hill,
while in the frailty of our human clay,
Christ, our Redeemer, passed the self-same way.

Still stands his Cross from that dread hour to this,
like some bright star above the dark abyss;
still, through the veil, the Victor's pitying eyes
look down to bless our lesser Calvaries.

These were his servants, in his steps they trod,
following through death the martyred Son of God:
Victor, he rose; victorious too shall rise
they who have drunk his cup of sacrifice.

O risen Lord, O Shepherd of our dead,
whose cross has bought them and whose staff has led,
in glorious hope their proud and sorrowing land
commits her children to thy gracious hand.

John Stanhope Arkwright’s hymn “O Valiant Hearts”.

FDNY Fire Code: 5-5-5-5

Last edited by jon1856; 08-23-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, WWII was obviously a much "bigger" event in that there was much more to cover. I hope there are quite a few good 9/11 movies. I think the A&E or Discovery channel flight 93 thing was the best I've seen thus far (I think it was on one of those channels). It did a good job talking about 93, and also about what was happening in NY and DC.
A&E is repeating the movie this weekend-Shiner-sometimes we do agree-very good made for TV movie-is up for several awards.

There are several 9/11 related shows on this week on A&E and History Channels.

I would also suggest, if it is out yet, renting the movie too.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsiRuss
I appreciate that this movie is coming out because its imperative that we never, ever forget what happened on that day. I really don't care that several billion dollars worth of property was destroyed. Its the lives that were lost that's important.

It might be painful for some people to watch this movie, but they need to get past that. Immediate family members, of the innocent people who were killed, went through hundreds of hours of hearings and committee meetings to try to bring some kind of closure for everyone. It should not be that big of a deal to spend two hours watching a movie in an air conditioned theater to help keep the memory alive.
Russ & Kathy;
I agree with you both.
And for those here who have seen the movie, the "other missing Marine" was located yesterday in Ohio!
Saw a trailer for movie---long story short, was put in contact with the PAPD and the cops confirmed his ID and story.

Also in the paper was a study that showed that 30% of people (over 50?) have already started to forget what year the attack happened.....

Last edited by jon1856; 08-23-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I saw it last night. I started crying within the first few minutes of the movie. Every moment from that day started rushing in and when they showed the CNN clips of when the Tower1 got hit, I remembered watching those exact clips. It kind of took the breath out of me and I was afraid I was going to have a panic attack. There wasn't a moment that my eyes were dry, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. You could hear everyone crying... not sobbing, but sniffling and stuff. I thought the movie was VERY well done and I never once thought about how those were professional actors playing the parts. All I thought about was these were real actions and words that happened that day. This was someone's actual life. Was it too soon for this movie to come out? I'm not sure. That's up to each individual to decide. However, it was hard enough for me to see this movie. I had a family member in Tower 1 when the plane hit and he got out safely, and I have a ton of family in Brooklyn and Staten Island.... but I couldn't imagine seeing this movie had I lost someone.

KLTC
Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Still too soon for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAndFinest
Keeping this short - you can reread my posts in United 93.

I watched the towers fall from across the river. I didn't see United 93, I won't see WTC. I can't even see the commercials/trailers. I got choked up reading Russ' post. I am one of those for whom never would be too soon.
Ditto, FirstAndFinest. I tear up whenever I see the trailers for WTC, and usually have to change the channel.

As a native New Yorker (who was in college in Western PA on 9/11 and has now moved to the DC area), part of me really wants to see the movie. From everything I've heard, it's a respectful and powerful film, and I'm glad that the focus is on two real people. But, for now...for me... the emotions are still too raw.