GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,215
0 members and 1,215 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2000, 06:04 AM
GreekChat Member

DISCOGODDESS SAID:

I am inspired by your story, Soror ChAKAlate, but I don't think by glorifying teen pregnancy and single parenthood we are helping to alleviate it, either. And I think we glorify it when we accept single moms on the undergrad level, regardless of age, and have sorors (and other greek women) parade their kids around at step shows, service
events, etc. What are we saying to young girls when we do this? That "hey it's okay to get pregnant, becuase I did it and still got in to a sorority"?

Soror no one is glorifying teen parenthood. I wish I had waited until I was older..like another young lady said people who have children early are the first to tell people to wait.

But we must face reality..the reality is that teens do have sex..whether we like it or not. I think it is commendable when young woman wait until they get married to have sex..if you did more power to you. But what do we say to those who choose to do otherwise, what do we say to those who did get pregnant, that their life is over. That they are ruined and fallen women. I am not proud of the fact that I made the unfortunate mistake of giving birth at an early age but what I am proud of is the fact that I did not let that mistake hinder me.

Soror I must say your understanding of our sisterhood is a bit different of mine..I didn't think the underlying requirement of our sorority was NOT to be a single mother. I thought that were more important considerations to make when we were selecting young women to be part of this prestigious organization. Aren't there more important ethical and moral standards?)

DISCOGODDESS SAID:
Not everyone can/will do as you and blutheatrics have done, so I don't think it's wise to hold up these examples, however inspiration and impressive they are.

I must differ I think it is wise to hold up myself and others as an example because you must remember that we are human..that none of us is perfect that we all make mistakes whatever there form. For those who do make the mistake of being a single parent it is important for them to know that the image of single parents as welfare queens is nothing more than a stereotype that there are women who hurdle that roadblock and overcome it. Why would any soror be ashamed to call a woman such as that soror? I mean I understand why you would think or even assume that an AKA women is "perfect." I mean it is hard to believe that an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman is not perfect because we come so damn near. (Smile..how do you put those smile faces in) But let's put conSkeetedness aside for a moment.

DISCOGODDESS SAID: AND I think that mothers need to focus on the studies and family and working for their community. They don't need a sorority to do that.

First of all I think it is presumptious for you to think that you know what teen parents should be doing that you can decide the appropiate measure of what a mother can handle in or out of college. But then you have the right to your own opinion. I don't know maybe you have forgotten the tremendous burdens that Black women have shouldered in this country..burdens that make single parenthood ad balancing student life seem trivial indeed.

DISCOGODDESS SAID:
I just don't understand why people feel entitled to join a sorority, A NON-ESSENTIAL, NOT REQUIRED part of the college experience. You aren't owed membership just because you're doing what you chose to do-be a mother, student, worker, etc. You can't be denied something you aren't owed in the first place.

The above comments I assume are directed to those who are aspiring to membership. Because I have already proven that I am worthy of the privilege to be called a soror. Fortunately for myself and many others there are woman in our organization who do not think like you and look at other attributes besides a person's status as a parent to decide whether they are worthy to join an organization.

DISCOGODDESS SAID:

I'm saying that being in a sorority is not a right, it's a priviledge, and that those who choose new members to carry the torch should look carefully at the message they send when they choose people who CHOOSE certain life situations. Single motherhood is one of those situations, but I feel the same about academic mediocrity, sexual promiscuity and undignified behavior.

In regards to those comments I admit they are hurtful. It is hurtful to think that a soror thinks that you are unworthy to carry the torch. That they let single parenthood blind their judgements of someone's worth as a member of this organization. But then that is your opinion. You said that when people choose who to carry the torch they need to think about the message that they are sending.

I would like to think the message that my big sister were sending is that my worth to be a member of this organization was more than my status as a single parent. I am glad that THEY thought it was a privilege I deserved.

To those who have children and are interested all I can say is that their are sorors out there who will still consider your merit to join this organization despite your status as a single parent.

To all my sorors and other ladies in the California areas, including the other single parents that responded who responded hit me
up I would love to talk to you. Try me at ChAKAlate2@blackplanet.com

Note: I wonder do people feel the same way about men. Should men not be allowed to pledge if they have a girlfriend pregnant or when they are fathers? Double standards kill me.

------------------
Aim for the moon,.... if you miss you'll be among the stars.
Old 08-11-2000, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror ChAKAlate,

I just wanted to add that on the first page of this thread, LadyAKA stated in her firs post that she thinks the same standards should apply to men.
Old 08-11-2000, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Soror ChAKAlate:

I regret that you feel PERSONALLY offended by my opinions, but just like yours, they are mine and I would hope they would be respected as such. My comments weren't directed at women currently in the sorority, since the original question dealt with women who are interested in attaining membership while pregnant (the parenting part came later).

Since I have only had influence over the entrance into the sisterhood of a small number of women, I regret that somehow my words were taken as the gospel truth and/or official policy of Alpha Kappa Alpha. As many a soror, including myself, has stated on this thread, the ultimate decision lies with the women in the chapter in which a candidate seeks membership.

About the double standards concerning men, I'm sorry that you feel that anyone on this board was perpetuating a double standard. Actually, I never addressed them because this thread wasn't about them.

As far as I'm concerned, we can agree to disagree and call it a day. If you'd like to correspond more about this, please email me.

DG

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited August 11, 2000).]
Old 08-11-2000, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Just can't stay away from the topic ...

Though we are being sisterly and not screaming on each other 'too much' I think this is a dead topic ... we have already answered the question ... it has now
gone on to a 'she say, she say'(yes I said that twice) type thing. And we are not getting anywhere, someone thinks their situation is good while others or another think it is not the best ... okay all has been said about it and the situation remains the same and so does the FACT that to each her own - we can argue till we are blue
in the face - THE CHAPTER HAS THE FINAL SAY!! And just because I don't think it is a good choice does not mean that it is a bad choice and that I am ignorant. As Soror DG said we need to agree to disagree, people are being real sensitive ...

till next time sisterly yours
LadyAKA
Old 08-11-2000, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Discogoddess, if I gave you the perception that I was personally offended and upset by your comments then perhaps my words were a bit to strong or persuasive.

I was not personally offended. I was offended in the general sense of whenever I hear someone say something that I heartfelt disagree with.

My comments were directed toward you because in your previous comments you quoted me and so they were in large part directed to me. I responded or referred to you as a result of that but my message is public and is addressed to everyone in general. I of course know that you do not speak officially for ALpha KAppa Alpha and in no way meant to insinuate that..I mean that is obvious or I would not be in this organization.

In regards to the issue about men, that was addressed to the public in general and though someone pointed out that a soror I believe mentioned that she thought the same standards should apply to men. I wanted to make a point that there would never be a heated discussion about this issue if it came to men because this society holds a higher standard to women than to men when it comes to sexual promiscuity. Women more often then not bear the consequences and "shame" for such actions not men. It is also interesting to note that some fraterntites wear as a badge of honor their ability to be "ladies men"

You must also understand that I am a law student and so I love to debate and argue especially about things I feel passionate about.

In regards to sorors having debates it seems like whenever we get a heated discussion on the board people get uncomfortable with it. I think that as long as sorors are civil and are carrying on a mature conversation then debate is healthy. Though we all wear the same colors and made the same pledge it does not mean we speak and think uniformly, we are still individuals and I think it is fine for prospectives and the public at large to see that.

Old 08-11-2000, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Soror ChAKAlate, that was well said.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:42 AM

there was a young lady who was actually pregnant when she pledged my chapter. of course, she didn't have to succumb to everything the others who came in with her did but she successfully finished, was the chapter president for 2 years and graduated on time with honors and is on her way to law school. by the way, her daughter is the cutest, smartest most respectful 3 year old you'd ever wanna meet
Old 06-21-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

There were two third-trimester pregnancies on my alumnae chapter's last line in April. One soror had a beautiful baby girl and the other is due next week.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

The Real Issue...

I've read some of the previous posts...but am still a little confused....

Is the issue really, can a pregnant person 'pledge' our organization OR do 'we' as 'sororities' have a problem with people who are unmarried/pregnant pledging our orgnaization.

I've had many friends that were pregnant and married 'pledge' on the graduate level. However, if you are soooo far along in your pregnancy, you may be asked to wait to the next line. Some things done during our process may not be a wise thing to do in your 7, 8, or 9 (you get the picture) month of pregnancy (And I'm talking about anything illegal or the like). I would advise grad./undergrad chapters to get a release from the individual and a doctors note.

As far as persons simply 'pregnant' (unwed) -- I'm mixed on this.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Recently, a friend and I were having a discussion on this very topic. Our conversation came about because one of our sorority's recently crossed a line of three where one was an unwed mother of 2 children with 2 different fathers( I input this info becasue it is comon knowledge across campus) and one was in her 5th month. The question became is that appropriate and what does it say about our values. Also, as we strive to uplift our community and looking at the number of unwed mothers who are children themselves, are we being good role models?

Pledging on a gradute level is MUCH different than pledging on and undergrad level. Should someone not be allowed to pledge if she is pregnant? I really don't know the answer to that because each situation is different. But what I do think is that each chapter needs to be aware of the image that it is sending out.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I'm torn on some level, because it stinks a little bit of hypocrisy.

I know plenty of people across orgs who talk about how they would try desperately to hook up with their SO's while they were online- pre-marital sex is a fact of life for most people in this day and age. They are doing the same thing as those pregnant girls, the pregnant girls just got caught out.

How do you make the judgement here- we will accept you on our line only if no one can TELL that you're engaging in certain behavior?
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 06-22-2002, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

When I read the subject of this thread, my first thought was it would be almost impossible to PLEDGE (I'm coming up on my 20th anniversary y'll) and be pregnant because of the toll PLEDGING takes on one's health. The new intake process is much different than my process, so its conceivable that one could be an expectant mother and complete MIP without undue stress. The real question is not CAN a lady go through intake while pregnant, but WOULD she be selected?

I know of an instance with a lady who is a soror now, that while in college, became pregnant, the sorors packed her up and sent her home! She married the young man before her daughter was born. She completed pledging 23 years later (after her daughter was a soror).

Even still, the real question is would a SINGLE pregnant lady be selected for intake? That's a question I feel that shouldn't be answered in an open forum.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

What I am about to say is may be seen as harsh but it is my OPINION!!

It is my belief that sororities should attempt to maintain its integrity. The very breakdown of the American family is attributed by unwed pregnancies being seen as acceptable. In my book it is not! If a young lady finds herself in this situation, it is my belief that one should see this (the act, not the child) as an error. It should not be seen as okay but as an obstacle that one must and will endure/overcome. Yet society not only views having baby showers for twelve year olds and terms such as my baby daddy as cute. It is not! I do not believe that one should conduct intake process with any sorority while in this state. Once she has gotten herself, child and situation straignt then seeking membership is acceptable. Let me add only acceptable if she (Any young lady included) can be a valuable asset. If not, don't attempt membership...AT ALL! This statement includes those young ladies that do not find themselves as unwed mothers but very promiscuous. Finding self worth should be one's first priority before membership into a sorority...especially Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I know a young lady that became a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha as an undergrad and has two children. She is under the age of 25 and is not married.

As someone who saught membership along side of this young lady I didn't look down upon her but I know of others who did.

She applied for membership more than once and her morals and reputation were questioned. However, she still prevailed in the end and her application was accepted for membership.

She did not hide the fact that she had children but she did not flaunt it either...
Old 06-23-2002, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Secretluv
I know a young lady that became a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha as an undergrad and has two children. She is under the age of 25 and is not married.

As someone who saught membership along side of this young lady I didn't look down upon her but I know of others who did.

She applied for membership more than once and her morals and reputation were questioned. However, she still prevailed in the end and her application was accepted for membership.

She did not hide the fact that she had children but she did not flaunt it either...
Please tell me her children are twins!
Closed Thread