Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,417
2 members and 1,415 guests
andthen, JayhawkAOII

Old 10-17-2001, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Down South

I thought this was really interesting. I go to school in SC and it is humid as you won't believe. We are also close to the ocean, so people don't tend to dress up for class b/c by the time you get there, you will be sweaty. I mean you have your females who wear the club wear to class, which I think is really inappropriate. Not to mention our school is somewhat in the wetlands/swamp! It is not uncommon for people to roll out of the bed without showering and go to class or breakfast in pajamas. I personally wear jeans, t-shirt, and my grey NB sneaks everyday. A lot of the soros and frats will wear letter shirts with khakis or jeans. Some of the sorority girls who think they are "cute" will dress nicely with just the sorority pin on.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Elon was a lot of how LSU was described. However, "dressing for class" was all dependant on what time your class was. If it was an early Am class, jeans or khakis with a soror or frat tee was perfectly acceptible. However, most people would go home and change after that (at elon, the average number of outfits you go through in a day:3). If your classes were later, anything jcrew,gap,abercrombie,banana, ect. were very much the norm. Most people in jeans, khakis, black pants, cords, ect., but usually with a button-down or a cute quarter length sleeve shirt, wool sweater, or turtleneck sweater were the norm, but on top of that, you accesorize with pearls, diamond stud earings, hoop earings, and anything from tiffanys. If you look grungy, you must wear GRAY new balance sneakers! but other then that, boots or clogs were what kind of shoes people wore. And no one carried back packs, they carried shoulder bags insted.
But then again this is coming from a wealthy private school in north carolina!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Re: Down South

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirene_DGP
Some of the sorority girls who think they are "cute" will dress nicely with just the sorority pin on.
Just the sorority pin? I'll bet that outfit attracted lots of attention!
Old 10-17-2001, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

At WSU it is cold for about 6 out of the 10 or so months we are here, so fashion goes out the window once the cold front comes in..People dress up for about 3 weeks and then they just start rolling out of bed. By Thanksgiving, it's pretty common to see half the people in your lecture classes in PJ's.

The Sororities (and sometimes fraternaties) usually dress up every other Monday-pin attire and a pin. I know that we aren't that far away from all the fashion stores (Seattle is only across the state) and everyone has T1 connections for shopping online, but I don't think that I have ever seen a Kate Spade bag of Tifanny's jewelry or Prada ANYTHING! I mean, c'mon, there are better things so spend your money on! Sure it makes you feel good to dress up sometimes.. but really folks, is impressing people with clothes more important that your education?
Old 10-17-2001, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I really think it depends on the region you go to school. From my experiences back in the day (about 4 years ago) attire at the University of Texas was the same as the posts regarding LSU, Baylor and other regions in the South. Everyone wore fraternity or sorority T-shirts, khaki shorts or jeans and the same brand and style of tennis shoes, all with jewelry. It's hot, so dressing up doesn't make a lot of sense...
Old 10-17-2001, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beth5483
Thumbs down

I go to a small, fairly expensive, school and no one gets dressed up for class, unless they have a reason to. ie. Work, Initation, Pin attire days. Generally pants and a t-shrit or sweatshirt is normal. And no one really cares what brand you have on. They never have and never will, so get over it. Wear what you feel comfertable in and you will be happy. Thats all that matters
Old 10-17-2001, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to one of those tiny expensive private colleges, but no one really dressed up except for Rush, social functions, etc. First off, more than half the school was on financial aid and had to put violin strings on their credit cards before A&F. Second, the school was in the Fox Cities area of northeastern Wisconsin, where it doesn't get above zero for the second two weeks in January (which is when Rush is...eeek!). Clothes were for surviving the cold, not looking fashionable and even if you bought expensive pants and shoes they were probably just going to get ruined in the slush and salt. The closest Kate Spade purse and MAC counter were 175 miles away in Chicago...not so easily accessible. Honestly, almost no one cared about dressing up. As long as you had clothes on, you were ok.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
Wow.

I don't know, but every single college student I know is WAY too broke to buy stuff like Ann Taylor and Prada. I'd rather help pay tuition or make a car payment!

Whatever happened to Wal-Mart?
lmao

Honestly, this campus is so close and comfortable, small but still a state school that you see EVERYTHING here, but I've never seen anyone wearing prada or D&G. We all have better things to do with our money, like...pay bills, and...tuition. And expensive jewelry I have, but I sure as hell would not be caught wearing it to school. A 300 dollar pearl necklace is much too nice to wear to class, nobody would appreciate it anyways.

I'm lucky if I roll out of bed, run a brush through my hair (put it in a ponytail if it's a bad hair day), throw on some jeans and a t-shirt, brush my teeth and such- put on a little powder, blush, lipgloss and mascara, and run my ass out the door five minutes before class starts.
lol

Always,
Jess
Old 10-24-2001, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Christi130
Well I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, what I wear depends on what time I wake up and if I went out the night before. Some dyas I'll wear warmups and letters, the next day I'll wear a skirt... it all depends on my mood and mostly how many times I hit the sleep button on my alarm clock
Old 10-25-2001, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I agree with you Dejajeva! I don't know about everyone else, but a lot of people at my school don't have the kind of money to wear real diamonds and pearls to class. Whatever happened to the typical broke college student? I hate to see what their debt looks like when they get out of college.