GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,295
1 members and 1,294 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-29-2002, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Church Pet Peeves

One of my biggest pet peeves aside from those listed here are people who act like they don't see the offering tray coming. I am an usher at my church at home. Not only is it listed in the bulletin but the minister "announces" that it is offering time. The person is sitting on the tenth row which means they watched us go through nine other rows to collect offering then when we get to their row, they are just now fumbling through their purse. Hello??? Did you not see us coming. Holding up the entire process.

Secondly those who fall asleep in church. Come on now, are are an adult if u feel yourself fading go put some water on your face I dont want to hear you snoring.

Also when we have visitors at our church and I hear someone say "So and So is in my seat." First of all you dont own any of the seats, second they are visiting you're supposed to make them feel welcome
Old 06-29-2002, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Church Pet Peeves

Quote:
Originally posted by MarvyG

Also when we have visitors at our church and I hear someone say "So and So is in my seat." First of all you dont own any of the seats, second they are visiting you're supposed to make them feel welcome
This one really hit home for me. I'm planning to relocate to VA in the next few months and I am so sure that I'm gonna end up in someone's seat. I know where I like to sit at my own church and it is certainly hard to break a habit. With my luck I'll probably sit in a seat meant for one of the "Church-Hat" ladies, so I am sure to be utterly embarassed.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Seats??? Surely you jest.

And this is one of the many reasons why people don't like to go to church.Because of the people there.......(shaking head)
Old 06-30-2002, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tooicecold1906 Send a message via Yahoo to tooicecold1906
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
When services last any more than one hour. It is quite unneccessary to have church from 10:30 am to 1:45 pm.
OPINION TIME:

GOD GIVES US TIME TO DO WHATEVER ELSE WE WANT TO DO DURING THE WEEK. WE SHOP, TALK, PARTY, GO TO WORK/SCHOOL, BREATHE, ETC. GIVEN THE FACT THAT WE HAVE ALL OF THESE BLESSINGS, WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH GIVING HIM A COUPLE HOURS OF PRAISE AND WORSHIP ON ONE DAY OUT OF THE WEEK. ARE WE REALLY THAT SELFISH? WE REALLY SHOULD BE PRAISING HIM 24/7, AND PRAY WITHOUT CEASING BUT HE IS A FORGIVING AND UNDERSTANDING GOD. A COUPLE OF HOURS AT A PARTY CAN MAKE US FEEL SO GOOD, IF A COUPLE HOURS AT CHURCH CAN'T DO THE SAME FOR YOUR SPIRIT................

LET'S JUST BE GLAD GOD DOESN'T TAKE BACK THE TIME WE SHOULD USE TO WORSHIP AND PRAISE HIM

JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:34 AM
GreekChat Member

curious...

I've been biting my tongue for a while with what I'm going to come out with. I've noticed that a lot of people have problems being in church for long periods of time. The church that I attend starts at 11 AM and it ends between 1 and 1:30. I thoroughly enjoy church and would have a problem if it ended in one hour. As Christians, why do have an issue with the longevity of church? God grants us six days out of a week to do whatever we want to do, yet when it's time for church service, we put a time limit on it. If we broke down how much time we put into worldly things and compare it to how much time we put into the BREAD WINNER of our souls, there would be a huge gap. Most of us work forty hours a week, go the gym for about ten hours a week, do something socially for four hours a week (at a minimum), but church...ONE HOUR! However, we expect God to continue to bless us with the a good job, a healthy lifestyle, a family, etc. Additionally, we complain about going to Sunday School, Bible Class, revival, etc. Some of us even skip church all of the time because we're so tired and say to ourselves God knows my heart but when we're tired on Mon.-Fri., we don't call in everyday saying that! Why are we like that? We as Christians always put God second. Why do we do that?

Now I know that I am not where I should be as a Christian, but I am at the point where I know that I can't live without Him and I'm doing everything in my power to get right with God.

Last edited by delph998; 06-30-2002 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

About these 2-4 hour services

I can't attend to ANYTHING more than an hour. Most of us can't. I have no problem dedicating more than an hour to church/God, but not at the same time. I'm both in a community group and in a college ministry at my current church. With that I spend the same amount of time (4 or more hours) as I did at my last church, it's just spread out.

I started going to my current church when I was almost 18 (3 years ago). I learned MUCH MUCH more in these last three years at this church, than I did in 17 years at my old one.

Also, just because the service is long it does not mean that you will always get more out of it. Both churches I attended did the same amount of things (i.e. songs, sermon), it's just that my old church fooled around a lot. For example, they took about a HOUR to make announcements, usually the same ones.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-30-2002, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: About these 2-4 hour services

Quote:
I can't attend to ANYTHING more than an hour. Most of us can't. I have no problem dedicating more than an hour to church/God, but not at the same time. I'm both in a community group and in a college ministry at my current church. With that I spend the same amount of time (4 or more hours) as I did at my last church, it's just spread out.

I started going to my current church when I was almost 18 (3 years ago). I learned MUCH MUCH more in these last three years at this church, than I did in 17 years at my old one.

Also, just because the service is long it does not mean that you will always get more out of it. Both churches I attended did the same amount of things (i.e. songs, sermon), it's just that my old church fooled around a lot. For example, they took about a HOUR to make announcements, usually the same ones.
IMHO

I don't think that those of us who complain that church is too long because we want to short-change GOD. But if within a 2 1/2 hour service there is only a 30 minute sermon and 30 minutes of singing, guess what the other 1 1/2 hours are spent doing?
Things that could have put in the church bulletin for us to read instead of taking away from the amount of time that could be spent on the sermon.

This was how things were at my old church, so I found a new church home that wants me to be involved EVERYDAY, and not just on Sunday. I have learned so much more at my current church that attend now (hour service) than I did at my old church (3 hour). One thing that I believe that helped me is the fact the UMC involves your whole life with worship activites, not just a Sunday worship service. At my church we have so many different types of ministries to serve on, missionary tribes, bible study's, support groups, classes, etc. that it keeps you involved in GOD's word everyday of the week.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: About these 2-4 hour services

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

IMHO

I don't think that those of us who complain that church is too long because we want to short-change GOD. But if within a 2 1/2 hour service there is only a 30 minute sermon and 30 minutes of singing, guess what the other 1 1/2 hours are spent doing?
Things that could have put in the church bulletin for us to read instead of taking away from the amount of time that could be spent on the sermon.

This was how things were at my old church, so I found a new church home that wants me to be involved EVERYDAY, and not just on Sunday. I have learned so much more at my current church that attend now (hour service) than I did at my old church (3 hour). One thing that I believe that helped me is the fact the UMC involves your whole life with worship activites, not just a Sunday worship service. At my church we have so many different types of ministries to serve on, missionary tribes, bible study's, support groups, classes, etc. that it keeps you involved in GOD's word everyday of the week.
EXACTLY to a T!

^^^

Old 06-30-2002, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Honeykiss and Dionysus,

My argument doesn't apply to you all. From reading your responses, your church lasts for an hour, but you all are still being fed a phrophetic Word from God and you're active in the church.

My argument is to those who just wanna get out in an hour, aren't active in the church, and that don't attend the extra church activities. However, I appreciate your comments.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

People faking the spirit.

How insulting is that? I went to church on Easter Sunday this year at a friend's church. One of the ladies in front of me caught the spirit and started dancing. I'm baptist so I don't have a problem in the world with that. But, when the lady on the other side of me said to her friend "Mary Alice is always trying to get pastor to notice her. She really thinks that man wants her when we all know that I'm going to be First Lady. Huh, watch this." This woman really got up and faked the spirit so that the pastor would notice her. She even went so far as to start running the church for this man's attention. He is a good looking man but this is too far.

I would be too scared to fake the spirit. I think that would be so disrespectful and blasphemous that the Lord would just strike me down where I stand.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassyLady
People faking the spirit.

How insulting is that? I went to church on Easter Sunday this year at a friend's church. One of the ladies in front of me caught the spirit and started dancing. I'm baptist so I don't have a problem in the world with that. But, when the lady on the other side of me said to her friend "Mary Alice is always trying to get pastor to notice her. She really thinks that man wants her when we all know that I'm going to be First Lady. Huh, watch this." This woman really got up and faked the spirit so that the pastor would notice her. She even went so far as to start running the church for this man's attention. He is a good looking man but this is too far.
naw padna. Actually I doubt I would ever want to marry a minister. I have a lot of growing to do spiritually and to be a minister's wife, WHOOO DADDY, can we just say that and my name are an oxymoron. To be First Lady might have my husband with a smaller congregation too. (just being honest). I am a nice person, really, but to deal with so many people on a spiritual level might be too much for me to handle.

I have more comments about dancing in the church but I am still getting settled.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Peeves

I have about a million of them (I've been to all types of churches so I have some from many denominations and religions)...

People who insist on sitting in from of me with big hats on.

People who come in late and sit on the front row.

People who have there cellphones ring in church, and then answer them.

People who shout until the music stops.

People who spend the entire time gossiping about other members.

Preachers that preach against something but gladly accept the money in there collection plates.

Preachers that push your head and try to make you fall when they pray for you.

People who come to church in something you could go to the beach, afterparty, or club in. (This is come as you are to the extreme)

People who complain about paying the 10%.

Ushers that hold the door and won't let you in the church.

Preachers that are more focused on the money than the church-goers.

Churchgoers who think they run the church.

***Anyone who doesnt respect that this is a place of worship and anything that interferes with it should be left outside.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My pet peeve is when pastor's use the pulpit to vent their angry at someone. Apparently the pastor at my home church (I'm away at school) got caught hugging either a man or a woman. This is not the first time. Well, he spent the Sunday morning sermon yelling that church folks are too nosy and should stop talking about people. Then said people are going to talk about him because he loves Jesus. No, people where talking about him because he's so freaky! It was so pitiful.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

TTT

^^^

Old 04-03-2003, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: About these 2-4 hour services

Quote:

About two weeks ago I was invited to attend the Women's Day at the (Baptist) church where I spent my childhood. Since I was part of the procession, I got there at 10:15, and service started about 11:15. I expected service to last until 2:00-2:30. I didn't have a watch on. When I got to my car and started the ignition, the time on my radio said 3:48 p.m. 3:48!! No wonder people started leaving!

Also during this service, I was taken aback at the number of women who wore pantsuits and slacks, and the younger girls who had on what I call "hooker heels." (This church used to display a sign in the vestibule -- Ladies No Pants, so I never had an opportunity to buck the system.)