GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,399
1 members and 1,398 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I'm having a hard time placing the white rule in with job interview attire. The much more common issue I see is clothing that is too short, too shear or thin, generally poorly fitted, pieces that are the same color but don't match, iffy fabrics, etc.

Some classmates and I worked on a womens' suiting concept last year in business school, and conducted about 100 interviews with 20-somethings on their professional clothing choices. I was shocked how many of the 20- to 22-year-olds were purchasing their internship and job interview clothes at Zara and H&M. And this was not a strict matter of being able to afford these pieces, it was a lack of awareness of what is acceptable.
I agree with the bolded! But, we do not have too many Zara's around here to make any judgements on the store, but H&M has pieces that are very work appropriate. I would wear a lot of these blazers! http://m.hm.com/us/subdepartment/LAD...94866589#items I think it is much less about the store. I've seen and more about learn how to shop for pieces that fit, are appropriate and maintaining personal style. I dreaded wearing businesswear growing up because it looked so boring! I think with marketing, girls and juniors clothing is so much more colorful and fun and then one day we say, "Whoa! Tone it down!" I work with college students who are making that transistion. They do research presentations across the country so we do wardrobe checks before they pack. Some of these girls loathe the process of having to kind of "conform" in their style. We ask for appropriate colored suits or suit pieces, heel heights, even down to the nail polish color so they will be taken seriously. (Mind you I don't like it just as much as the students, but that's the culture we live in.) I think grown women do have fun business clothes, it just takes time to make a proper transistion from "junior land."
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
What are appropriate colored suits or suit pieces?
Not white after Labor Day, that's for sure.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Not white after Labor Day, that's for sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/galtim...b_4768367.html

This needs to be updated to accommodate "seasonal attire" interviewers.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
What are appropriate colored suits or suit pieces?
Understand this is my bosses beliefs more than mine, but I have to follow the team. Appropriate meaning, "let's not wear the lime green suit to the presentation." That type of thing. Maybe incorporate it in a top or jewelry, but let's not do the bright orange suit for presentations/interviews. We are not saying be void of color or print for all of eternity, but make sure they begin to have neutral pieces for interviews and presentations (this is the first time many of the students are buying business attire), because they will be judged on their appearance. (I say after the they get the job, bring out the colored suits and the bright nails! But I'm not a fan of the traditional business culture).

Last edited by PersistentDST; 08-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Understand this is my bosses beliefs more than mine, but I have to follow the team. Appropriate meaning, "let's not wear the lime green suit to the presentation." That type of thing. Maybe incorporate it in a top or jewelry, but let's not do the bright orange suit for presentations/interviews. We are not saying be void of color or print for all of eternity, but make sure they begin to have neutral pieces for interviews and presentations (this is the first time many of the students are buying business attire), because they will be judged on their appearance. (I say after the they get the job, bring out the colored suits and the bright nails! But I'm not a fan of the traditional business culture).
Gotcha. That is taught in most career services and job training (including services and trainings for people across cultures and marginalized groups).

Have you all ever considered teaching people about the seasonal colors and white after Labor Day thing? Some interviewers take it mad seriously.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Appropriate meaning, "let's not wear the lime green suit to the presentation."
LMAO. One of my old (amply endowed) bosses had a lime green suit that was way too short and too tight and every time she wore it people would say she looked like slutty Kermit.

And she brings up another point. Just because it has a designer label on it or is the most expensive thing in the shop, doesn't mean it's right for you. PersistentDST was right in that H & M has quite a few business appropriate pieces, and if you're not sure your first job is going to be one you're in for many years, it doesn't pay to spend zillions.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

DEAD @ "slutty Kermit!"

I didn't realize H&M had an "office wear" section. I think it's great that they are attempting to introduc affordable business wear to this particular demographic of young women. However, several of the skirts hit mid-thigh. The "knee-length" skirt all fall above the models' knees (false advertisement much?), and a couple of these blouses are completely see-through (and not in an obvious "it was designed to be like that" way). I could easily see a young woman either being spot on with the professional wear or being dead wrong and not realizing it because of the name of the section in which she found that outfit.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Slutty Kermit?! That's hilarious!
There was an interest who wore a lime green suit to my rush. It was...interesting to say the least.

H&M has had business clothes as long as I've shopped in the store. Perhaps it depends on the size of the store, but I've gotten dress pants and blazers from there for years. It's about fit and style to me. (And yes...see through shirts are no good either.) I have issues with skirts hitting my knee because of my height and build no matter where I shop!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There was an interest who wore a lime green suit to my rush.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
Yes...me and my Sands bring it up from time to time. I was so shocked I don't know what she even looked like.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
If I had two equal candidates for a job, I would choose the one who better dressed the part. If there was only one suitable applicant, then she would get the job. Yes, there are sloppy people who get jobs every day, but they are paid less and have less opportunity for growth. Unless of course they are geniuses and the job is locked away at corporate with little public exposure.

Plenty of college applicants are passed up for being too sexy or dressing like they are going to a night club instead of a job interview! Same goes for girls wearing summer fashion in the winter and fall.

Sorority recruitment has always been compared to a job interview. Girls need to put their best foot forward. You would have serious questions if a girls came into your house on first round looking like she is dressed for the bars. Wouldn't you?

First impressions are critical!
I wore lime green chucks to work today. Our hiring manager complimented me on them and my boss looks to see which chucks and/or crazy colored hand knit socks I wear when she's in the office. I've been on a faster promotion schedule than most in my office.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Slutty Kermit?! That's hilarious!
There was an interest who wore a lime green suit to my rush. It was...interesting to say the least.
So, I have to ask about this because this is a rule that I'd be clueless about. I'm guessing it was so egregious because it's an AKA color?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
So, I have to ask about this because this is a rule that I'd be clueless about. I'm guessing it was so egregious because it's an AKA color?
Exactly. Showing up to an NPHC rush wearing another sorority's colors (in any shade) is a serious faux pas.

However, it is not the end-all. If a woman is really qualified, a fashion mistake can be overlooked (particularly at the alumnae level). A woman wore bright pink pumps to my rush and she's my line sister now. We still tease her about it ALL the time.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Would wearing the pink wig in the GIFs above, with the lime green suit, be the end-all? I'm guessing yes.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
There is not a "rule", per say. I will say that I went for a neutral ensemble, as did 99% of the ladies who attended. I know people who became members despite wearing other sororities colors...it wasn't going to be me (or my line), if you know what I'm saying.

And on a serious note, it falls into line with what I said earlier about the appropriateness of a lime green suit at an interview/presentation. Being that our org. is incorporated, appropriate business attire is a way of life. It should be treated like a job interview.

And besides, most of my AKA SisterGreeks would not have touched it. It was bright!!!

Last edited by PersistentDST; 08-06-2014 at 12:35 AM.