GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,637
3 members and 1,634 guests
amIblue?, John

Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Because I'm a nerd for all things Greek, I ordered "I Heart Recruitment" and it came yesterday. I read it from cover-to-cover in a about an hour. I loved the book and it was pretty uplifting. It is true, EVERY GLO has something to offer. I appreciated the message! Thanks for the advice about getting this book!
I have read and own this one too. I have found it extremely helpful to me as a recruitment advisor. About two weekends ago, one of the authors of that book did a recruitment workshop at EKU. Phenomenal. If your campus panhellenic's can swing it or several groups going in together to pay for it, have them come to your campus.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Since we're on the topic: http://www.abebooks.com/

That was my primary resource for any GLO history books which may or may not be in my collection.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I'm not talking about you. Other than historical inaccuracies, how could an outsider correct a pledge manual?
The text in question describes pronounciation of Greek Letters by various groups and indicates that the reason that the Phi and the Xi in Alpha Phi and Alpha Xi Delta are pronounced so as to rhyme with "bee" is that they follow vowels. This is not a correct understanding of Greek Pronounciation.

This is of course complicated by the fact that the fact that the names of the greek letters are different now than they were 2000 years ago. For example, the second letter of the greek alphabet is now pronounced as closer to an english v than a english b and the pronounciation of the name of the letter is has a shortish i like in fit (but a little bit of long e) rather than a long a like bay.

For Phi and Xi, the pronounciations where they rhyme with bee are what is in modern greek, the pronounciations where they rhyme with fly are what is in ancient greek. However for Xi, the modern greek is closer to ksee in pronounciation than zee.

The Wikipedia page for Alpha Phi says
"However, the pronunciation of Phi as "Fee" rather than "Fi" actually results from the fact that the organization adopted the Greek rather than anglicized, mainly American, pronunciation of the letter because it sounded more feminine." There isn't anything I can find on Alpha Phi's National page, but a lot of Alpha Phi chapter websites have the "after a vowel" explanation.

I can't find anything either on wikipedia or on the Alpha Xi Delta national website on why it rhymes with bee.

The text from the original pledge manual the GCer found gets it wrong, the one from Kappa Sigma is similar but basically says that not all GLOs pronounce them the same and these two are exceptions...

I'm not sure if that counts as a historical inaccuracy though.

For further information, just search greekchat for topics on greek pronounciation.

I'm not saying that anyone is pronouncing their own greek letters wrong, it's such a mess of Current Greek, British pronounciation of Ancient Greek and American pronounciation that just about everyone is right.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'm not sure if that counts as a historical inaccuracy though.
I know about the pronunciation of Greek letters and that's along the lines of perceived historical inaccuracies if people feel those who wrote that component of the pledge manual (or the founders) did so based on misinformation. That doesn't mean they are correct in their assumption (perhaps they knew a pronunciation was technically wrong but sounded better or had some other significance) and why outsiders care is another topic.

So, back to my original question: Other than historical inaccuracies (that MysticCat and naraht are typing about), how could outsiders correct a pledge manual?

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-04-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, back to my original question: Other than historical inaccuracies (that MysticCat and naraht are typing about), how could outsiders correct a pledge manual?
So I went through my fraternity's pledge manual looking for things that were neither history nor "internal facts" and actually found something incorrect that fits the question!

There is a map of Canada in Alpha Phi Omega's pledge manual, and the borders between the Canadian Territories are both incorrect and includes borders that haven't existed in over 10 years. (APO reissues its pledge manuals after every national convention (every two years))

I don't know how our National Office would react if that were pointed out by a non-member, I'm on the National History committee, so they've learned to expect weird phone calls from me.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I doubt they could, but I don't think anyone has suggested they should try to, either.

Quote:
The Wikipedia page for Alpha Phi says
"However, the pronunciation of Phi as "Fee" rather than "Fi" actually results from the fact that the organization adopted the Greek rather than anglicized, mainly American, pronunciation of the letter because it sounded more feminine." There isn't anything I can find on Alpha Phi's National page, but a lot of Alpha Phi chapter websites have the "after a vowel" explanation.

I can't find anything either on wikipedia or on the Alpha Xi Delta national website on why it rhymes with bee.
I wouldn't necessarily expect to see anything along those lines. (Nor would I trust the Wiki on this if there's nothing about it at the Alpha Phi website.)
Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
So I went through my fraternity's pledge manual looking for things that were neither history nor "internal facts" and actually found something incorrect that fits the question!

There is a map of Canada in Alpha Phi Omega's pledge manual, and the borders between the Canadian Territories are both incorrect and includes borders that haven't existed in over 10 years. (APO reissues its pledge manuals after every national convention (every two years))

I don't know how our National Office would react if that were pointed out by a non-member, I'm on the National History committee, so they've learned to expect weird phone calls from me.
Okay, so corrections would be on a historical or factual (which could be deemed historical) basis, assuming that you would have something to prove how the borders are incorrect.

That's fair enough. I agree about the non-members part and that's one reason why I find reading the pledge manuals of other organizations to be strange.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I doubt they could, but I don't think anyone has suggested they should try to, either.
That's why I was asking a general question. I don't know what you all were or were not suggesting.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
What books about Fraternities and Sororities do you recommend or recommend against...

Recommend:
Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities: Last Edition published in 1991, but definitely still worth reading.
I would also add that the earlier editions are outstanding. If you can find one on eBay, Amazon or abe books, they bring a pretty penny, but are worth it.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Since we're on the topic: http://www.abebooks.com/

That was my primary resource for any GLO history books which may or may not be in my collection.
Thanks for this website!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Thanks for this website!

You're welcome, homie.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone read Inside Greek U.? Thoughts?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Another oldie...

The Sorority Handbook by Ida Shaw Martin, published in 1909.