GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,315
1 members and 1,314 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Not true with Sigma. We still have interest groups and we encourage interests (in undergrad and grad) to attend events, volunteer, and get to know our members before intake. I know of many cases where invites to formal rush and interviews were not extended because the sorors didn't know the interests well enough. And I also know of situations where people didn't make it passed the interviews because the interview was the deciding factor if sorors weren't sure about whether or not they would extend an invitation to participate in intake.
I was just gonna bring that up. You must be invited personally to our formal rush, which occurs before interviews. So if a woman is invited to formal rush, then at least one person in the chapter knows her beyond what's on paper.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
We had one girl who went through recruitment this year that did not get a bid to either sorority. It was the first time in 4 years that it's happened.
Wow. Is there a "weird rush story" there?
________
Asianonstopcum

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
I was just gonna bring that up. You must be invited personally to our formal rush, which occurs before interviews. So if a woman is invited to formal rush, then at least one person in the chapter knows her beyond what's on paper.
Yeah, we really do value "Quality over Quantity." It really isn't just something we say because we are the smallest NPHC sorority. Despite our smaller size, I think the other NPHC orgs would be surprised at how many don't make it into Sigma Land, not because we are elitist but because we are selective. It is my hope that all the NPHC orgs will one day get back to being more selective. People can label us elitist all they want but we know what we want and need in our organizations.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 09-04-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, we really do value "Quality over Quantity." It really isn't just something we say because we are the smallest NPHC sorority. Despite our smaller size, I think the other NPHC orgs would be surprised at how many don't make it into Sigma Land, not because we are elitist but because we are selective. It is my hope that all the NPHC orgs will one day get back to being more selective. People can label us elitist all they want but we know what we want and need in our organizations.
How did you translate what has been said into the other HPHCs aren't selective?

And we really do value quality over quantity, too. Raw numbers may not show that because of the number of applicants we get, but percentages of applicants who make it v. those that don't, would.

For example a line of 50 from a pool of 300 that meet the minimum requirements is 16.7 percent. A line of 17 from an eligible pool of 100, is 17 percent. And if you then add in the applicants that did not meet the minimum requirement (the first phase of selection) the percents are even lower.

And I wouldn't be surprised at how many don't make it into Sigma Land. I WOULD be surprised if everyone who tried, did.

You took this in a direction the rest of us were not interested in going.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
How did you translate what has been said into the other HPHCs aren't selective?

And we really do value quality over quantity, too. Raw numbers may not show that because of the number of applicants we get, but percentages of applicants who make it v. those that don't, would.

For example a line of 50 from a pool of 300 that meet the minimum requirements is 16.7 percent. A line of 17 from an eligible pool of 100, is 17 percent. And if you then add in the applicants that did not meet the minimum requirement (the first phase of selection) the percents are even lower.

And I wouldn't be surprised at how many don't make it into Sigma Land. I WOULD be surprised if everyone who tried, did.

You took this in a direction the rest of us were not interested in going.
You took this the wrong way totally. I don't think any of the NPHC orgs (including mine) are as selective as we once used to be and there are a lot of factors around the reasons why. I think the intake process vs. "pledging" is one big factor for example.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You took this the wrong way totally. I don't think any of the NPHC orgs (including mine) are as selective as we once used to be and there are a lot of factors around the reasons why. I think the intake process vs. "pledging" is one big factor for example.
now THIS would be taking this in a direction the rest of us aren't interested in going.

chalk it up to miscommunication (rhoyaltempest ) and different strokes for different folks (ladygreek)?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post

The year I pledged, there was a girl who went through formal rush and got cut from all, went through COB for 2 sororities and got cut from both of them, then went through COB for the same other 2 sororities in the spring, and finally the one extended a bid.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I'll send ya a PM about it....