GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,431
1 members and 1,430 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-14-2005, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
All of my greatgrandparents, and my maternal grandmother came through Ellis Island.

My paternal grandfather's family came from Warsaw, Poland. After coming to America, they settled in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY. They changed the family name to one that sounded less obviously Polish. My greatgrandfather was born with the first name of Fivel, but died Philip. My grandfather was born Israel, but died Irving.

My paternal grandmother's family came from Russia (Minsk, Belarus.) After coming to America, they also settled in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY. My father was in the Air Force at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The B-52 on which he served was given one of several final targets. One was Minsk. After 45 hours awake in the air, they landed. My father told his C.O. that his mom's family was from Minsk. It was researched and proven to be true. My father was offered to transfer top MATS, or take an honorable discharge. He took the discharge.

My maternal grandfather's family came from Hungary and Austria. They settled in Yorkville, New York, NY.

My maternal grandmother's family left Austria when she was 4 years old (two generations before, they fled Russia for Austria.) They walked from Austria to Denmark (I think) in 1917. They then took a ship, 4th class, to America where they met up with my greatgrandfather who had been in America for several years. In Ellis Island, my greataunt Janette was a sickly 17 year old girl. They managed to conceal her illness for the days that it took to get through the system. It took days because the Irish employees (also immigrants) on Ellis Island were not able to pronounce my family's name in a way that was understandable to my greatgrandfather. Those days were terrifying and full of fear. They also settled in Williamsburg. The Austrian town that they left was completely destroyed in WWII.

I don't feel any connection to any of the nations from where my ancestors came. I consider myself to be 100% Ashkenazi Jewish in decent, and 100% American in nationality.

ETA fixed spelling

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 01-15-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom is 1/2 caucasian (her father, he was Irish, his last name was Dunn) and 1/2 black (her mother). Her father had 2 families, one white one (the legal one) and one black one (the one he hid off in the woods of the Northern State of Georgia). On my mom's birth certificate, it lists a man, who my grandmother was married to and who had died 10 years before my mother was born... My grandmother broke the miscegnation laws back in that day, so a caucasian father could not be listed as the true father--although my mother and 4 of her older siblings were spliting images of him...

On my father's side:

His father's great-great grandmother was full bloodied First Nation (we don't know what tribe). She had a son from a white man and that son had very RED hair. He married a former slave--who was 300 lbs... They had several children. One being my great-grandfather who was a player, but some how married my great-grandmother... Now my great-grandmother may have not be all black... Because apparently, her mother was an "octaroon" (meaning she had about an 8th black blood in her--just like Ann Rice's book, "Feast of All Saints"). She had children from two different caucasian men. So, my great-grandmother--I don't know how she identified herself as being black... But she had the last name of "Zeigler"...

My paternal grandmother's side: There was a former slave who was freed and he ran into the Cherokee Nation and married a woman. Because of the Fugitive Slave Act, he never left the Nation... (But some of my First Nation friend tell me that my anscestors may have not been Cherokee). Anyhow, they had children. One of them named Honey. Honey was playing outside, when a "Judge" saw her and told her brother that "I'll take her off your hands..." She was 12. And from that, they had several children. One of them my paternal great-grandmother. In some of her younger pictures, she looks better than J.Lo... But that is what she looks like... She was the darkest one out of the family... So the "Judge" got married and moved north somewhere and apparently, he and his wife were unable to have children... So he sent for all the other children he had had from Honey, except my great-grandmother... And that broke her heart--he never wanted her, and she had a huge color complex. So when she got older, she married a very dark black man and had my paternal grandmother and her siblings.

So my grandparents got married and had several children, one being my father...

My parents met and had me and my brother...

My brother married a caucasian woman and his child has Asian feature...

Go figure...

So, whut am I?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Scottish-Hispanic-Japanese-Irish-Dutch-Filipina-German-Vietnamese. Really.
So I wrote this post some time ago and things have changed.

I always knew that my mother's side had some kind of non-white background but nobody ever talked about it. This being the South, I figured they had a strong amount of Native American, probably Cherokee. To picture my mother and aunts, think Ava Gardner or Joan Crawford--dark and exotic-looking. Then I finally saw a picture of my grandmother (who died way before I was born) and her mom and sisters and said, "Oh wow. They're part African American."

Suddenly a lot of things made sense. My sister and 1 brother look like a lot of the multiracial news anchors in Atlanta. My parents went to the wedding of 2 lightskinned AA friends and people kept asking my mother if she was the mother of the bride. I did see 1 great aunt once when I was little and thought she was our AA housekeeper's aunt.

When I asked my mother and aunts why no one ever told me about our heritage, they thought I'd lost my mind and told me that the family was just "Creole"--kind of a catchall word in Louisiana that means French to some and randomly mixed to others. I finally had my DNA done a few months ago and it turned out that 1 great great grandparent was AA and another one was NA. The older folks in my family were really surprised!

I've gone to many pow-wows over the years I've lived here. Will I do anything to celebrate my AA heritage? I don't know...I think the black people here would laugh if I showed up at, say, an MLK celebration or a Kwanzaa party because I don't look it; I look like my dad's side and the only hint is that I tan extremely fast.

Guess I'll just wait and think about it some more!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Will I do anything to celebrate my AA heritage? I don't know...I think the black people here would laugh if I showed up at, say, an MLK celebration or a Kwanzaa party because I don't look it; I look like my dad's side and the only hint is that I tan extremely fast.

Guess I'll just wait and think about it some more!
Sweetheart, have you EVER tried? You will NEVER know, until you try... Do not discount the strength of those in the African American community, until you have done your "footwork"...

Your relatives did not tell you these things because 1) they did not know themselves; 2) were told not to, because when they were growing up, it could get you killed...

And your statement about showing up to different cultural celebrations... Very stereotypical, don't you think? Especially since Dr. King was about unity for all people... And the first day of Kwaanza is Umoja which means unity...

Old 01-14-2005, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
Sweetheart, have you EVER tried? You will NEVER know, until you try... Do not discount the strength of those in the African American community, until you have done your "footwork"...

Your relatives did not tell you these things because 1) they did not know themselves; 2) were told not to, because when they were growing up, it could get you killed...

And your statement about showing up to different cultural celebrations... Very stereotypical, don't you think? Especially since Dr. King was about unity for all people... And the first day of Kwaanza is Umoja which means unity...
I agree.

Anyway, AKA_Monet, we have similar familial histories, except..and no offense, for all maybe a few things like the kids from different men, etc. My great grandad (white) married my great grandma (black) in Georgia before it was legal but somehow they made it. They lived way back up in Waynesboro, Ga. quietly. His name isn't on the birth certificate either but when we would ask "who is that white man in all those pictures"? the older people would be like "baby, that's your great grandpa" . As a matter of fact, my aunt did our family history for her masters and that is when we first got to see all the originaly records and she was able to even find documents on the last known slave in our family. We would ask My paternal great great grandad was Cherokee (and I actually got to meet him shortly before he died, I was too young to understand the stories he told, but my dad tries to keep them going.

That's interesting how things can be so similar, but I guess a lot if us have closely related family backgrounds, especially if you're from the south.

Last edited by Phasad1913; 01-14-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I've only known a couple of months and no, I haven't looked into it yet. One reason is because I don't care to have people jumping down my throat about how I choose to pursue that. I named the celebrations I did because those are huge big deals around here.

When our darkskinned Filipina daughter was a baby, AA women would come up to me and say, 'WHO gave you the right to adopt that black baby?" They would get pretty nasty about it and most refused to believe that she was Asian. There are a lot of people of all races here who are NOT all about unity.

I considered whether or not to post this for quite some time because I figured that someone would get on my case for some reason. This is a new and wonderful discovery that I've made and I don't care to have people tell me I'm screwing up when I don't even know what to do next.

Last edited by carnation; 01-14-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I am in absolutely no emotional turmoil and your post is another example of why I thought twice before posting what I learned. I have 5 nonwhite daughters and am about as nonracist as they come.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry about the snippy post. Don't feel bad about what you posted. I'll go back and delete it in a minute.

5 kids???? Sheesh. Go mom!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've only known a couple of months and no, I haven't looked into it yet. One reason is because I don't care to have people jumping down my throat about how I choose to pursue that. I named the celebrations I did because those are huge big deals around here.

When our darkskinned Filipina daughter was a baby, AA women would come up to me and say, 'WHO gave you the right to adopt that black baby?" They would get pretty nasty about it and most refused to believe that she was Asian. There are a lot of people of all races here who are NOT all about unity.

I considered whether or not to post this for quite some time because I figured that someone would get on my case for some reason. This is a new and wonderful discovery that I've made and I don't care to have people tell me I'm screwing up when I don't even know what to do next.
Okay... You are defensive for what reason? I see from your profile that you are from Georgia or live there currently and you are professor? I dunno?

Lemme put it to you like this... If you actually do scholarly activities, and you have discovered a heritage that was once covered up and unsure of how to handle it, AND you are showing some level of fear on what to say or what to do--what it sounds to those of us that DO identify as being of African descent some level of animosity, resentfulness and anger... But that's how I am taking it and that is just my opinion and I will get over it because I am grown and really have yet to care...

However, to some, what it really sounds like is that you may have perpetuated some of the Black stereotypes from your "white privilege" --which now you have just found you have lost.

So really, you are in shock... Sistah...

And THAT is READILY DETECTABLE FROM MYRIADS OF PEOPLE OF AFRICAN DESCENT!!! AND I MEAN MYRIADS!!!

But I don't hate you because you just found out you are now one of us, now... Even if you choose to reside in the "lifestyle" you are accustomed to... But I think you are smart enough to know that bit of "history" has changed your concepts about life... And you would be stupid if you choose to live your life just the same and do whatever...

Best thing you need to do is love yourself first and foremost...

And if you do live in Georgia, I am sure there are several Black Churches out there that will welcome your "perceived intrusion"--And be damned if that cannot treat you like a child of God in the first place...

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 01-14-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913
I agree.

Anyway, AKA_Monet, we have similar familial histories, except..and no offense, for all maybe a few things like the kids from different men, etc. My great grandad (white) married my great grandma (black) in Georgia before it was legal but somehow they made it.

That's interesting how things can be so similar, but I guess a lot if us have closely related family backgrounds, especially if you're from the south.
No offense taken... My mother's mother--my grandmother--had a few issues with men... It was unfortunate, but that was the way her life was at the time...

As far as my father's side... The women were young--like 12-14 when men took "care" of them. But back in that day, no woman had control of her body... That is just the reality of the situation...

That's interesting about your great-grandfather though... It would be nice to actually see the documentation... I bet he was probably disowned by his own family because of his love... Too bad... Because his own family missed out... IMHO...

But the South is truly the South in the United States of America...

Old 01-14-2005, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No offense taken... My mother's mother--my grandmother--had a few issues with men... It was unfortunate, but that was the way her life was at the time...

As far as my father's side... The women were young--like 12-14 when men took "care" of them. But back in that day, no woman had control of her body... That is just the reality of the situation...

That's interesting about your great-grandfather though... It would be nice to actually see the documentation... I bet he was probably disowned by his own family because of his love... Too bad... Because his own family missed out... IMHO...

But the South is truly the South in the United States of America...
Actually, no, he wasn't disowned or anything from what I understand. Both families lived together, at least the immediate families. As people were further removed from the couple, of course, there were some negative feelings and experiences. But way down in the deep south, it wasn't that big of a deal. ( Again, speaking for my family's experience)
Old 01-15-2005, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, this is an old thread!

I've gotten married, so now my kids are gonna be all sorts of stuff (when I finally have any, that is). They'll be Puerto Rican/Polish/French-Canadian (all from me)/Irish/English.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

I am typing through tears right now. I am so thrilled for PhiPsiRuss, who knows so much of his heritage, yet is proud of his American citizenship. I'm thrilled for Carnation, who is going through an amazing journey of exploring her heritage - may it be full of peace and joy, Sweetie! - can this explain her interest in adoption? I'm thrilled for and proud of AKA_Monet & Phasad1913, who are trying to help her.

And people wonder why I think it's so important to get the oral histories & documentation of the elders of the AA community!! One of the most memorable clients I ever had was the daughter of a slave, and had the bluest eyes of anyone I've ever met! This is such a huge part of the American scenery; it's just wrong that we've hidden it for so long!

Quote:
...And the first day of Kwaanza is Umoja which means unity...
Sums it up nicely!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

OMG, Born Under A Cabbage Leaf, and Carried Home By Strork!

Well The Story I was told anyway!

Well, Mother Was pretty Evasive.

E, I , A.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-15-2005, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I started tracing my family roots after meeting my fiancee b/c being Mormon, they were really into family history. I found a lot of things including some family skeletons that were probably best left alone & one HUGE shocker that sent my mom reeling.

My dad's side of the family is Mexican-Indian but I have been able to trace them back to German settlers. This was kind of neat & I was able to find out why our German last name disappeared. That happened after a period in the early 1800's when the last remaining son had only daughters so no one carried on the family last name. I'm guessing this happened tons of times throughout history.

My moms family immigrated from Spain roughly in the late 1700's. My mom was born in Mexico & both of my parents were childhood sweethearts living only a few minutes apart (ironically they divorced when I was 5 thus ending an inperfect 9 year union). My coloring is an inbetween of my extremely dark skinned & dark haired father & my light skinned blond mother. I'm olive skinned w/dark brown hair that lightens in the sun.

Now come the family secrets.
#1. My paternal grandfather fathered a child w/my maternal grandmother. One of my moms sisters is actually related to me on both sides of the family tree.

#2. The previously mentioned aunt died as a child but when I was tracing the family history, after much confusion about a name that kept popping up, I found that the aunt was very much alive & had one of her sons trying to search for her biological family. Her information was rather sketchy b/c she could only remember vague things seeing as how she was 4 when she was taken away. A family embarrassment apparently. My mom & her unfortunately have little in common & don't particularly get along but at least they have found each other.