Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,074
1 members and 1,073 guests
John

Old 05-09-2005, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
Sorry for crashing your forum, but I was just chatting on AIM with one of my first ever internet buddies (back from CompuServe days in 1994) who is a Kappa Sigma. He has been involved with the recolonization at the University of Vermont, Alpha-Lambda. He said they rushed 25 guys last fall and hope to rush another 25 this fall. I told him about GreekChat and he said he bookmarked it, so hopefully he'll show up here and can give you more details himself!

Dee
I hadn't heard too much about the re-colonization at Vermont, so thanks for the update. I believe they would be a part of my chapter's district, although with the re-allignment I'm not completely sure.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KSUColonyGS
Representing the Kennesaw State Colony in Kennesaw (Marietta), GA.

We've made close contact with the Southern Poly Colony in Marietta, GA. Gotten support from the chapters at Georgia Tech and Georgia State.

We hope to earn our charter by December. A year after we started as an interest group.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

KSUColonyGS:

Thanks for your post. Good to read that your colony seems to be succeeding, perhaps even thriving, and that you have contact with other Kappa Sigma groups on some nearby campuses. One appreciates the Fraternity more when one has contact with members at other schools and thus realizes what a large Brotherhood the Order actually is.

What other fraternities are presently at Kennesaw State, and how does your colony compare to them in size. I know that Delta Tau Delta chartered there last year, but I don't know what other fraternities are presently on campus.

I understand that Sigma Pi also presently has a colony at KSU. Do you know anything about it?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSUColonyGS
Representing the Kennesaw State Colony in Kennesaw (Marietta), GA.

We've made close contact with the Southern Poly Colony in Marietta, GA. Gotten support from the chapters at Georgia Tech and Georgia State.

We hope to earn our charter by December. A year after we started as an interest group.
Great job, and as stufield said, it has to be a help that there's another colony in the area that you've been contacting. If you're already making connections with other chapters, that's a great start.

Good luck with the colonization and keep us posted.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KSUColonyGS
We are currently at 36 men after organizing in December and being allowed to represent ourselves on campus in March. We've pledged in 50+ men so far and had a few quitters... which is understandable, colonization isn't the most rewarding (short term) process.

Other (NIC) fraternities on campus are:
Delta Tau Delta
Sigma Pi (colony)
Theta Chi (largest at 48)
Pi Kappa Phi

And only two (NPC) sororities:
Phi Mu
Delta Phi Epsilon

Student life isn't the biggest thing on campus right now. Greek life especially. But this school has grown to be the third largest in Georgia and becoming less and less of a commuter school. We just moved to Division I sports, so that'll help also.

Sigma Pi is a colony. A good friend of mine was Sigma Pi at Southern Poly but doesn't like the guys here, and frankly, I only like 1 or 2 of them. I don't know too much of their progress or position on campus. They're a lot like us when it comes to IFC, we don't like it and would rather not be forced into it.

We have a great AA that gets us in contact with all these other chapters. Dan Holland. He has very close ties with the Atlanta Alumni Chapter which helps a lot. Kirk Schuening (spelling?), the AA from GaTech, has been a lot of help also. He's been more than happy to help us with Recruitment training and whatnot.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSUColonyGS
We are currently at 36 men after organizing in December and being allowed to represent ourselves on campus in March. We've pledged in 50+ men so far and had a few quitters... which is understandable, colonization isn't the most rewarding (short term) process.

Other (NIC) fraternities on campus are:
Delta Tau Delta
Sigma Pi (colony)
Theta Chi (largest at 48)
Pi Kappa Phi

And only two (NPC) sororities:
Phi Mu
Delta Phi Epsilon

Student life isn't the biggest thing on campus right now. Greek life especially. But this school has grown to be the third largest in Georgia and becoming less and less of a commuter school. We just moved to Division I sports, so that'll help also.

Sigma Pi is a colony. A good friend of mine was Sigma Pi at Southern Poly but doesn't like the guys here, and frankly, I only like 1 or 2 of them. I don't know too much of their progress or position on campus. They're a lot like us when it comes to IFC, we don't like it and would rather not be forced into it.

We have a great AA that gets us in contact with all these other chapters. Dan Holland. He has very close ties with the Atlanta Alumni Chapter which helps a lot. Kirk Schuening (spelling?), the AA from GaTech, has been a lot of help also. He's been more than happy to help us with Recruitment training and whatnot.
It sounds a little bit like my school, in that Greek Life was a small part of the community overall. It's a good thing you're getting alum support, as that can be huge to a chapter surviving. Kirk (Chewning I believe, if we're thinking of the same guy) has been very involved on a nationwide level with recruitment, so he's a good resource to have.

Here's to continued success, as it certainly sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stufield
If anyone knows of a renewed attempt to return Epsilon-Theta chapter to UCSB, I'd sure like to hear about it.
Well... here we are! 5 months old and already the second largest fraternity on campus with 70+ members!

(BLATANT FUNDRAISING PLUG)
We are also starting our first fundraiser, which is a Girls of Santa Barbara calendar. we are selling them through our website: http://www.girlsofsb.com. If you are a brother, you can get a discounted rate by e-mailing me for the brothers website. The calendars won't ship until 9/15, but trust me, they will be wonderful. The price is $6 for brothers, $10 for everyone else. Shipping is around $2. The website is literally 10 minutes old, but I just wanted to spread the word about it and happened upon this website. [we are also looking for advertisers... e-mail me if interested]
(END BLATANT PLUG)

Hopefully you guys will all make it out to conclave this week. I can't because of summer school, and I'm jealous of my brothers who are making it out there.

Eric.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigSB
Well... here we are! 5 months old and already the second largest fraternity on campus with 70+ members!

(BLATANT FUNDRAISING PLUG)
We are also starting our first fundraiser, which is a Girls of Santa Barbara calendar. we are selling them through our website: http://www.girlsofsb.com. If you are a brother, you can get a discounted rate by e-mailing me for the brothers website. The calendars won't ship until 9/15, but trust me, they will be wonderful. The price is $6 for brothers, $10 for everyone else. Shipping is around $2. The website is literally 10 minutes old, but I just wanted to spread the word about it and happened upon this website. [we are also looking for advertisers... e-mail me if interested]
(END BLATANT PLUG)

Hopefully you guys will all make it out to conclave this week. I can't because of summer school, and I'm jealous of my brothers who are making it out there.

Eric.
Good luck with the fundraiser and excellent job with recruitment. Seventy guys in 5 months - not too bad at all. Hope all other aspects are going well.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

More canada news

Hey guys,

just to keep you posted...

I hear Alaska is again being talked about... not Canada but close...

Thompson Rivers (formerly College of Cariboo) is being initiated in the first week of January and chartered. This will mark the second chapter in British Columbia.

I understand that U of Lethbridge is also progressing well and should be looking at chartering in the new year, bringing Alberta to 3 chapters.

U of Western Ontario folded after a problem with $$ but is apparently being re-formed with new leadership and many of the former members...

There are also plans in the works for at least 2 more BC schools, U of Manitoba, and a number of schools out East in Area 1.

We are beginning to rival Sigma Chi as the Fraternity with the most Canadian chapters... i believe they have 9 and we will be at 7 in the very near future (hopefully)....

Anyone know of any new efforts??

AEKDB
Old 12-12-2005, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: More canada news

Quote:
Originally posted by ksigcanuck
Hey guys,

just to keep you posted...

I hear Alaska is again being talked about... not Canada but close...

Thompson Rivers (formerly College of Cariboo) is being initiated in the first week of January and chartered. This will mark the second chapter in British Columbia.

I understand that U of Lethbridge is also progressing well and should be looking at chartering in the new year, bringing Alberta to 3 chapters.

U of Western Ontario folded after a problem with $$ but is apparently being re-formed with new leadership and many of the former members...

There are also plans in the works for at least 2 more BC schools, U of Manitoba, and a number of schools out East in Area 1.

We are beginning to rival Sigma Chi as the Fraternity with the most Canadian chapters... i believe they have 9 and we will be at 7 in the very near future (hopefully)....

Anyone know of any new efforts??

AEKDB
Thanks for the update; I'm not sure about any colonies, but from what I've heard, the chapter at Suffolk here in Boston is doing really well. They're relatively new, around a year old, and things seem to be going really well with them.

AEKDB
Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I ran across this article last night. I wish them luck!

"Kappa Sigma colonizes at "Greek-free" Gonzaga
Gonzaga Bulletin
December 2, 2005

Students interested in frat

By Virginia Moore

With the exception of academic honor societies with Greek names such as Alpha Sigma Nu, the national Jesuit honor society, Greek life on campus is sparse. In fact, non-existent. However, 53 young men would like to pursue the good qualities and intentions of a social fraternity at Gonzaga.

"Not all Greek life is frivolous," sophomore Taylor Rickard said. Rickard, a transfer student from Arizona State University (ASU), was active within the Kappa Sigma community at his previous school. Since the beginning of the fall semester at Gonzaga, Rickard has received a substantial amount of interest from the male student body at the prospect of starting a fraternity..."

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/media...gabulletin.com
Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
I ran across this article last night. I wish them luck!

"Kappa Sigma colonizes at "Greek-free" Gonzaga
Gonzaga Bulletin
December 2, 2005

Students interested in frat

By Virginia Moore

With the exception of academic honor societies with Greek names such as Alpha Sigma Nu, the national Jesuit honor society, Greek life on campus is sparse. In fact, non-existent. However, 53 young men would like to pursue the good qualities and intentions of a social fraternity at Gonzaga.

"Not all Greek life is frivolous," sophomore Taylor Rickard said. Rickard, a transfer student from Arizona State University (ASU), was active within the Kappa Sigma community at his previous school. Since the beginning of the fall semester at Gonzaga, Rickard has received a substantial amount of interest from the male student body at the prospect of starting a fraternity..."

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/media...gabulletin.com
Thanks for the info - from what the article is saying, it seems like they have a long road ahead in convincing the school. I don't really understand the "paperwork" comment; it looks like there's an assumption that a Greek org wouldn't be willing to do the proper work to become recognized.

Either way, I hope things work out for them and that all there work pays off in the end.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kegman83
Kappa Sigma at UCSB

Brothers,

It pleases me greatly that there is so much activity on this board about the Epsilon-Theta colony at UCSB. First, let me introduce myself. My name is Jameson Tyler Drew, I am the current Gand Master of the Epsilon-Theta colony. I am one of two legacies who created the colony back in the fall of 2004 (my father was a Beta-Theta and Tristan Handland's father an Epsilon-Delta).

The story of the Epsilon-Theta colony is one of legend. Beginning as a promise to a dying father, I strove to become something I knew nothing about. It was along the way that I met 67 men of varying religions, incomes, races, and creeds. I also became friends with one Steven Alonzo Jackson, Ed Rogers, Bill McCormick to name a few. The dream of Kappa Sigma gradually evolved froma promise, to a challenge. Make no joke about it, the greek system (and its advisor) at UCSB are extremely hostile to newcomers. However, with some zeal (and my knowledge of real estate) we managed to grab a house formally owned by Lambda Chi Alpha. It is there, where we reside currently, that our roots have begun to take hold. We also hold the number 2 spot for recruitement in the country at the moment and are number 4 in community service hours.

It must be noted that none of this could not have been possible without the help of one Brother Julian Ungano of Pratt Institute and Mathew Gajeski (of Hofstra fame). They are currently serving as both GP and GMC, and I cannot thank them enough for their efforts.

Our current numbers, according to our grand scribe, are at 44. We have just rushed another 15 new members (despite the schools constant protest) and are well on our way to completing all of the workshops required to charter. Our DGM Chris Cooley (Fresno State) has also been extremely helpful in this task, bring the long arm of the law down on those greek advisors who wish to stunt our growth. Our only obsticle is one of money. Our current fundraiser, the Girls of UCSB Calendar, is going well but more calendar sales are needed if we ever want to be initiated. The website is located here . Im sure if you contact Eric he can negotiate a good price for you. Winte rush is coming up, and we will not rest contentedly until we are once again the largest (and oldest) chapter on this campus.

Last, we cannot thank enough our two awesome ARMs: Mike Olivas (Sac State) and Kevin Madsen (UCI). they have been instrimental in kicking our asses when we thought we couldnt do it.

If you guys have any questions, or if you feel ike dropping by to surf to class, feel free to contact me at jamesondrew@umail.ucbs.edu or visit our website www.kappasigmsb.org
Im also on AIM: Kegman83

Thanks

Jameson "TheGodfather" Drew
Grand Master, Epsilon-Theta Colony
UCSB
And soon to be A.E.K.D.B.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I talked (for over 4 hours) on AIM today to my Kappa Sigma buddy in Vermont and got this update on their recolonization:

They are up to 25 guys and are back in their house. He believes they are close to Initiation.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
I talked (for over 4 hours) on AIM today to my Kappa Sigma buddy in Vermont and got this update on their recolonization:

They are up to 25 guys and are back in their house. He believes they are close to Initiation.
That's great - it would be nice to end up with another New England chapter. I hope everything works out and those guys achieve chapter status.