Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,592
3 members and 1,589 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 02-16-2006, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PKPKleid
We are also expanding at the University of Maryland College Park, which will eventually be our Maryland Gamma chapter. Headquarters representatives are on campus now recruiting new colony members, so if anyone knows anyone who goes to Maryland please contact Headquarters and let them know.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PKPILZ003 Send a message via Yahoo to PKPILZ003
here's something new - let's discuss - russ will see this as something that i wanted to do a long time ago

The Hilltop
Howard University
February 17, 2005

Fraternity With Racist Past Comes to Howard

By Lawrence Goodwin

Today, Howard University will become the first predominantly black college to start a Pi Kappa Alpha colony since the fraternity's "whites only" racial clause was lifted in 1964.

According to their official website, Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity is a Greek letter, social fraternity. It is composed of men who share the similar ideals of friendship, truth, honor and loyalty. Founded in 1868 on the campus of the University of Virginia, the men of S.L.A.G, as they are also known, believe in the virtues of scholarship, leadership, athleticism and gentlemen-like qualities.

Despite these characteristics, some students have questioned why the organization is coming to Ho ward's campus given the fraternity's history of blatant racism within some of its more prominent chapters.

"Howard has enough Greek organizations on campus that students have no need to establish new ones, especially ones that weren't designed with us in mind", said Dalontee Edgarton, a senior physical therapy major. He added, "as a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. I feel that it is an embarrassment to add a historically white and racist fraternity to Howard's historically rich Greek legacy."

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity came under heat on several occasions in the late 90s when members of Auburn University's chapter dressed as Ku Klux Klan members for their Halloween party, and once again at Georgia Tech University when the chapter's "Straight Outta Compton" party, where members were encouraged to wear their most "Ghetto Fabulous" attire, prompted several members to paint their faces black to compliment their "baggy" jeans, afro wigs, and T-shirts sporting th e coveted "black power" fist.

Despite these incidents, the members insist that their decision to charter this particular organization here on campus is with good intent.

"We felt like there was a void as far as male students doing positive things on campus," said Jason Johnson, a senior legal communications major and charter member. "We want the campus to be open-minded about what we are doing."

Some students, such as senior physical therapy major Trinity LeFlore, have expressed their anticipation to see exactly what this new brotherhood will bring to the campus.

"I hope they have a genuine love for their fraternity, and it will be interesting to see what they're about" LeFlore said.

According to www.Pikeloyalorder.com "when you choose to wear the Pi Kappa Alpha badge you make a strong statement about who you are and what you believe in."

The winter 2005 edition of the Diamond Shield, Pi Kappa Alpha's quarterly publication, as well as the fraternity's emblem of excellence, encouraged all "brothers" to "demonstrate their commitment to those same sacred ideals that inspired our founding fathers in 1868."

Ironically, it is the encouragement of those same ideals that has some students questioning the intent and purpose of this organization on Howard's campus. "As a member of the Divine Nine I am disappointed to see the fabric of the Howard Greek legacy and traditions be torn by this new addition," said senior marketing major A.C. Onyia, member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc

OK discuss
[B]"Let us be who we say we are...a FRATERNITY, not a club; run by MEN, not boys; and based on IDEALS, not expediency."[/B]
Old 03-03-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UT_PhiPsi
I'm glad to see that we've finally got some more Phi Psis on here! Dumas and Micha...good to see ya'll on here! It's been quite for the past few months. So Dumas...here's my discussion...

I think that this article brings up a very timely subject! My freshmen year (two years ago) at the University of Tennessee we had an incident with some members of Kappa Sigma dressing up as the Jackson Five and attending a party in Black Face. This ended up making national news, however the chapter was not shut down.

The article brings up the topic of Pi Kappa Alpha being a "historically white and racist fraternity." I find this an interesting statement. One thing that I have been trying to combat is the overwhelming stereotype that Greeks have...what I find as intersting is that perhaps this is a stereotype of this particular organization within the Greek system. At the University of Tennessee, PIKE actually is the anthesis of this stereotype. The Zeta chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha here at UT was the first chapter on campus to pledge an African American and was also the first chapter to have an African American as President.

When the author of this article writes...

"The winter 2005 edition of the Diamond Shield, Pi Kappa Alpha's quarterly publication, as well as the fraternity's emblem of excellence, encouraged all "brothers" to "demonstrate their commitment to those same sacred ideals that inspired our founding fathers in 1868."

Ironically, it is the encouragement of those same ideals that has some students questioning the intent and purpose of this organization on Howard's campus."

...he pretty much just pisses me off! I am sure that no where in Pike's founding ideals do they have a racism clause. However, this does bring up a very important fact...that our organizations are judged by the actions of its members. When someone does something that is incongruent with our organizational values people assume that "that's the way they are." Perhaps to the extent that they assume that we were founded that way.

I think that this article just reinforces the need for us, as members of our organizations, to do what we say we would do! When we act like racist assholes, or we abuse alcohol, or we haze our pledges, or we disrespect women, or we [insert stereotypical fraternity action here]...then that's how we'll be known. For we as Phi Psis, doing such things would not be the actions of a Man of Excellence, nor would we be worthy of wearing the Badge of Phi Kappa Psi!

I'd love to hear any responces! Let's keep this tread running...I like to have something to do when I'm bored at work! Hope to see everyone at GAC in New Orleans!

ITB,

Luke...
Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikemccoy1852
The return of Wisconsin Alpha?

Just a note to advise that colonizing at the University of Wisconsin-Madison appears to be in Phi Psi's future, perhaps as early as this coming fall. It's the only Big Ten campus without a Phi Psi Chapter.

Wisconsin Alpha once was one of the Fraternity's premier chapters, but closed its doors in 1939 near the end of the Great Depression that sank many fraternity chapters. Several efforts have been made at reestablishing the Chapter in the years since, the most recent about 12 years ago.

Several undergraduates at Wisconsin Gamma expressed interest last spring in trying to reestablish Wisconsin Alpha, and met with our Director of Expansion Alec Traub at Woodrow Wilson Leadership School in Las Vegas.

Since that time, we've confirmed with the UW that they are receptive to our return, and they've tentatively booked us for 2010 at the latest. But we believe that, once an interest group has been formed, we can move much more quickly for recognition, as early as this fall.

Locally, we've identified an alumnus who is willing to serve as Colony Advisor and Wisconsin Gamma should be in position next fall to provide some undergraduate support.

When the last Colony existed at Madison, the relationship was so close with Wisconsin Gamma that Wisconsin Alpha became known as Wisconsin Gamma North and Wisconsin Gamma as Wisconsin Alpha South. Here's hoping that repeats itself whenever Alpha is back among us!

Alec Traub has just left staff, but his replacement, Ron Ransom, is very familiar not only with Wisconsin Gamma but interest in reviving Wisconsin Alpha. Ron, in fact, already has visited the Madison campus, as an ELC, to meet with UW officials as we tested the waters with the administration.

The University of Wisconsin remains one of America's most prestigious universtities, and Phi Kappa Psi will be stronger with a Chapter back here. As far as I can see, all we have to do now is assemble the interest group.

Fraternally,

Mike McCoy...

P.S. For those who know me and wonder why I haven't posted earlier, I only found this group today.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PKPILZ003 Send a message via Yahoo to PKPILZ003
i was wondering why i hadn't seen you here earlier - but welcome! I would love to see WI A back in the fold.

good to hear from you, Mike

Marc Dumas...
[B]"Let us be who we say we are...a FRATERNITY, not a club; run by MEN, not boys; and based on IDEALS, not expediency."[/B]