GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,552
0 members and 1,552 guests
No Members online

Old 04-16-2001, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to goldhottie06@aol.com
Red face

LET ME START BY SAYING THAT I'M A SWEETHEART. WHEN I WAS APPROACHED TO JOIN I WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD BE GETTING A FIRST HAND LOOK AT GREEK LIFE. I WOULD ALSO BE HELPING A FRIEND WHO WAS ON LINE. I WAS TAUGHT THAT WE WERE TO BE "ORIENTATED"...NOT PLEDGED!!!! AND THAT WE WERE NOT A SORORITY..BUT WE WERE TO RESPECT ALL BGLO MEMBERS!!! MY "SISTERS" AND I GREW TO BECOME VERY CLOSE. SOME OF THEM HAVE GONE ON TO BECOME GREEK...AND NOW I WANT THE SAME THING. I'M THANKFUL THAT I HAD THE OPPERTUNITY TO EXPERIENCE BEING A SWEETHEART...IT GAVE ME ALOT OF INSIGHT. BUT, I KNOW NOW THAT GETTING MY LETTERS IS A DREAM I MUST FULFILL. AS LONG AS THE MEMBERS OF THE SWEETHEART GROUP UNDERSTAND THE LIMITS ( THEY ARE NOT A SORORITY AND SHOULD ACT AS SUCH) THEN I SEE NOTHING WRONG!!!!
Old 04-17-2001, 03:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to D.COM Send a message via AIM to D.COM Send a message via Yahoo to D.COM
I don't understand this. If NPHC banned aux. groups, then why are they still around? On my campus, I've only heard of Alpha Angels and K-sweets....why do they exist, if they are "illegal"? The Kappas on our yard recently had a new line of Kappa Sweethearts with red T-shirts, numbers, canes, and everything. A new line all in public. What are the consequences? Does NPHC know that these aux. groups still exist?
Old 04-17-2001, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the clarification ZetaAce!

Old 04-17-2001, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Quote:
Originally posted by D.COM:
I don't understand this. If NPHC banned aux. groups, then why are they still around? On my campus, I've only heard of Alpha Angels and K-sweets....why do they exist, if they are "illegal"? The Kappas on our yard recently had a new line of Kappa Sweethearts with red T-shirts, numbers, canes, and everything. A new line all in public. What are the consequences? Does NPHC know that these aux. groups still exist?
They have to know, because it's rampant. What about those groups that have their own WEBSITES?? And we went through that drama last year, right, fam?

So, I think they (NPHC) can't give the time and money it would it take to wipe these "bad" orgs out. NOT saying they're all bad, but they are ILLEGAL. Except for the Iotas.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BeeJae
The NPHC has NO AUTHORITY over its member organizations... Each member organization makes its own rules and is responsible for enforcing them... Thus, if the Kappas are having illegal activity, it is up to the national office of Kappa Alpha Psi to deal with it, not the NPHC.

Quote:
Originally posted by D.COM:

------------------
Bee Jae
Technology Task Force
www.deltasigmatheta.com
www.deltasigmatheta.org
Old 04-19-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I beleive the NPHC is a governing body by agreement not ooboligation. WHile they set guidelines they all orgs can voluntarily choose to comply with, enforcement of those mandates is up to the individual org. Also, to call auxiliaries illegal is a misnomer, thir mere existance is not breaking any law. Hazing a pledge of an aux. s another story.

I wonder how long they would last if someone instigated a law uit against the lage org that is looking the other way? Even an unsuccesful suit would bring attention to there persistance...

As far as some of the sites on the net, certain groups have supposedly incorporated themselves in an attempt to legitimize their existance although they are still heavily associated in practice with the NPHC org in most circumstances, whether their site or charter acknowledges that.

Old 10-17-2001, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread should help you.

As you can see a search is crucial.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_01 Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_01
Angry

I must say, all this talk angers me. As a proud member of Iota Phi Theta Sweethearts, and a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc, it is apparent that all hearts, angels,etc. are not the same! And just like there are loud hearts, angels, and diamonds, there are loud sorors! And I know that compared to our bruhs, the Ques, loud isn't even the word! I resent the fact that I, as an Iota sweetheart can't get respected, even though we are there to support an organization that is part of the pan-hell, but continuously has to fight for respect, as well as my main reason for joining was to help them plan COMMUNITY SERVICE! Ugh! Wake up people! Iotas were the one who helped me get to where I am today, as one of your Sorors! I really resent the fact that upon finding out that I was heart as well as a Delta, my own sorors shyed away from me! I do not get the same treatment as a heart. When the find out that I'm a Delta, they congratulate me. Now can you say the same? I am one of your sorors, who is also an Iota Sweetheart, who obviously is an upstanding member of my college community, or I wouldn't be a Delta, and it hurts my heart that someone would treat me that way just because of a decision that I am proud of. I bet you would be congratulating me if I was defending my sorority against those who oppose greek life in it's entirety. So guess what? As a heart, I am recognized nationally, just as I am in Delta.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

are you equating delta with sweethearts?
Old 10-23-2001, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, there are many Delta women who were a member of an aux org. While I personally never had an interest, I can't fault sorors who do/did.

My problem is when sorors cannot put it behind them, esp when they wear 'heart 'nalia after they have been initiated into a sorority. Remember our Sweetheart Song,"...and her first love is DST!" This acknowledges that sorors may have been sweethearts (traditional, old skool or new school) BEFORE they pledged, but now they have put away those things and should be embraced as a soror.
Old 10-23-2001, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
Soror, there are many Delta women who were a member of an aux org. While I personally never had an interest, I can't fault sorors who do/did.

My problem is when sorors cannot put it behind them, esp when they wear 'heart 'nalia after they have been initiated into a sorority. Remember our Sweetheart Song,"...and her first love is DST!" This acknowledges that sorors may have been sweethearts (traditional, old skool or new school) BEFORE they pledged, but now they have put away those things and should be embraced as a soror.
I took that solely as we had/have a love interest of various organizations, but we, of course, always put Delta first. I am an Omega's Sweetheart--not aux., but actually-- I would never put Omega Psi Phi before Delta Sigma Theta. I feel as though it is a true conflict of interest, and as I stated before, it will never knowingly persist at my campus. Not ever will I accept someone who was/is a groupie. Many have tried, ALL have failed at Mighty TAU, we're not called mighty for nothing.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DST_philoso4

I took that solely as we had/have a love interest of various organizations, but we, of course, always put Delta first. I am an Omega's Sweetheart--not aux., but actually-- I would never put Omega Psi Phi before Delta Sigma Theta. I feel as though it is a true conflict of interest, and as I stated before, it will never knowingly persist at my campus. Not ever will I accept someone who was/is a groupie. Many have tried, ALL have failed at Mighty TAU, we're not called mighty for nothing.
Soror, you opinion on this is a valid one. It is just not a national rule. Like many things, there are campus and regional variations. I can appreciate that on your campus things do not work that way, on others they do. I know many, MANY older Sorors (And I mean 15, 20, 25+ years in Delta) who were members of auxiliaries. I am sure you would not see them as any less a Soror. That should extend to more recently initiated Sorors who were in auxiliaries. As long as se puts DST first, and is a woman of strong character (not an example of the stereotype you are describing) I would expect all Sorors to embrace her just the same.

Now as McCoyRed said, I do not understand continuing to wear auxiliary para after becoming a Delta. To me that is NOT putting Delta first. I see those things as part of a former life that should be resigned to nostalgia. Like everything else, that is just my opinion.

And I think I mentioned it in an old post in this thread but I was a Kappa Sweetheart back in the day. They neve disrespected me or degraded me becauseI would not have stood for htat. They knew that and that's why they want me around. They were some of my closest male friends and still are.

Last edited by Kimmie1913; 10-24-2001 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
I think I have said this before. I WAS an Alpha Angel, back in the day. My freshman year. It was all about helping some positive black brothers while they were on line. Was it fun, hell yeah! Do I think there is a need for sweethearts, aux., etc (its all the same) now, NO. Now there are some that sleep with there brothers, but I think for the most part most are not like that. Now do I still consider myself an Angel. NO. That was left behind when I pledged Delta. Delta is my first love even before I was an Angel, during and will always remain. Do I have pleasant memories of being an angel? yes. Do I think someone should not be a Delta because they where a sweetheart? NO. Just leave it behind. I would never wear a Soror shirt with something saying Alpha Angel. I think there are more importanmt things to focus on like rasing the GPA instead of whether someone was a sweetheart.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmie1913

Soror, you opinion on this is a valid one. It is just not a national rule. Like many things, there are campus and regional variations. I can appreciate that on your campus things do not work that way, on others they do. I know many, MANY older Sorors (And I mean 15, 20, 25+ years in Delta) who were members of auxiliaries. I am sure you would not see them as any less a Soror. That should extend to more recently initiated Sorors who were in auxiliaries. As long as se puts DST first, and is a woman of strong character (not an example of the stereotype you are describing) I would expect all Sorors to embrace her just the same.

Now as McCoyRed said, I do not understand continuing to wear auxiliary para after becoming a Delta. To me that is NOT putting Delta first. I see those things as part of a former life that should be resigned to nostalgia. Like everything else, that is just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_01 Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_01
No I never said that Delta Sigma theta is equal to being an Iota Sweetheart! I simply said that is disheartens me to know that someone would judge me, especially a soror on who I am or was...
Old 10-24-2001, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to snoopy922 Send a message via Yahoo to snoopy922
I don't understand aux groups, and I don't know why one would want to be in one.

My question is.....Soror, why did you think that you needed to be a sweetheart in order to understand Greek Life, especially Delta? (This is what I got out of your post).