» Online Users: 1,495
0 members and 1,495 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
... the info just shouldn't be here because it's not official HQ content. A lot of people think that the PNAM should go through the proper channels at HQ rather than risk getting incorrect and unofficial information here.
I know that it has already been stated, but I just want to again emphasize that this is why the D9 mods close / delete any post concerning the membership process, whether it is on the undergrad or grad (alumni) level.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I know that it has already been stated, but I just want to again emphasize that this is why the D9 mods close / delete any post concerning the membership process, whether it is on the undergrad or grad (alumni) level.
This is one of many reasons why I love the D9 mods.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
Some (well, mine, anyway) groups announce new AIs in their quarterly newsletters/magazines. The newsletter/magazine isn't part of ritual and many groups have it available online for just about anyone to read. This means that anyone can potentially find out about AI. And if a PNAM is interested, she might just contact the group herself. Different people find their groups differently. While I don't agree with helping people via the Internet if we aren't ever going to meet them, I don't think people should be criticized because they CONTACTED a group on their own rather than have been APPROACHED.

Again, I am a NPC outsider, but here is how I've been reading this issue.

I think someone stated in this thread, or another one of the current AI threads that AI info should only be discussed, if at all, in that specific GLO's forum. I think part of the confusion here is that with so many groups who have different AI processes, it is hard to lump answers / issues into one general forum. While it may be perfectly acceptable for your group, for example, to have a PNAM contact the org on her own, that same act might be considered a big no-no for another group. I think what some are saying is that you can not give out general information since at the AI level it is very org specific on how to go about joining.

I think a lot of NPC ladies on here want to discourage a situation like this: 'Oh yeah, just give ABC a call and if they don't get back to you, then just keep calling down the NPC list. You'll get in somewhere.' I think this is the 'smoke blowing' people are referring to.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
And, what groups would you put into the category of not wanting the info to be out there?
And, of the groups who wouldn't mind having the information on GC, who here is qualified to speak for them?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
It's surprising to me that folks seem to be making the case that if it's not on the National website it shouldn't be on Greek Chat. Is that the policy you want to see generally in place here?
When it comes to what our groups do and don't do HELL YES policy should NOT be on Greekchat. It is no one else's business but the women in THAT group.

If it's not something that my IH supports, I certainly don't want it showing up on an internet chat board (and I'm SURE they don't) saying the contrary.

Why would you EVER think that something not on your IH's website should be advertised on a chat board?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Why would you EVER think that something not on your IH's website should be advertised on a chat board?
For real. My organization doesn't have anything about AI on the public website. It is beyond me why there should be anything about it on GC -- and there is. Why?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Do You have any AI members on GC? That may be why?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-30-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

well,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
When it comes to what our groups do and don't do HELL YES policy should NOT be on Greekchat. It is no one else's business but the women in THAT group.

If it's not something that my IH supports, I certainly don't want it showing up on an internet chat board (and I'm SURE they don't) saying the contrary.

THINK for a minute about EVERYTHING that's not on your National webpage that you're probably discussed here, and then get back to me.

I'm not advocating posting secret information; I'm pointing out that there are many things that people want to discuss that aren't on the IHQ website. Rush dates, quota at different chapters, living arrangements at different campuses, etc.

To assume that because something isn't on the website, it's secret or ritual is a faulty assumption.

Again, I'm not asking people to go against their national policies: I'm just saying A) that because your group doesn't like it doesn't mean that everyone is obligated to ignore the issue and B) that holding out "only what's on the IHQ website" as the standard of what can be discussed on GreekChat is going to be pretty problematic.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-30-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

While that may be true, but what is the ture interpretation as it were?

It amazes Me how may profess that they do not AI, but there are people on GC who have had AIed with many Sororitys.

Some who have are now renouncing said AI!

But, it is a fact of life isn't it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-30-2006, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

No one is demeaning the value of AI membership. But we don't want to ADVERTISE it. If someone is going to be an AI, the majority of our sororities prefer that we approach the prospective member, rather than the other way around.

The existence of an AI Forum gives the impression that AI is active alumnae recruitment and similiar to collegiate recruitment. It is not and we don't want it advertised. It's a very simple concept: We don't want an AI Forum on GC and we don't want to discuss pre-AI processes on GC. We welcome AI sisters as our members in full and celebrate their membership.

That's it. AI is not recruitment and we don't want to discuss AI journeys on GC. The existence of an AI Forum gives the impression AI is common practice and it is creating awareness of it to the extent that prospects are contacting sorority HQ's and alumnae. Most of our organizations don't want this kind of contact at this time. If in the future it is determined that we are opening up the alumnae component of membership to a new type of programming, this perception could certainly change.

For now, we ask that our collective wishes be respected, that this forum be disbanded and that anyone interested in AI conduct her search and chronicle her progress discreetly.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ai is not a fact of life.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Do You have any AI members on GC? That may be why?
How is that relevant?

I have yet to see any AIs of my organization advocating in favor of providing any AI information about us here on GC.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga
I'm not advocating posting secret information; I'm pointing out that there are many things that people want to discuss that aren't on the IHQ website. Rush dates, quota at different chapters, living arrangements at different campuses, etc.
How is any of THAT policy? Had you read what I wrote you would know I was referring only to policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga
Again, I'm not asking people to go against their national policies: I'm just saying A) that because your group doesn't like it doesn't mean that everyone is obligated to ignore the issue and B) that holding out "only what's on the IHQ website" as the standard of what can be discussed on GreekChat is going to be pretty problematic.
You go ahead and discuss Alpha Gam policy then and we'll see how long you last before someone a whole lot higher than you comments about it.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure

You may have noted that you didn't want policy revealed, but if you go back and read what I actually wrote, which you quoted in your first response, I didn't refer to group policy being posted. Instead, my use of "policy" refers what some people wanted to guide the practices of GreekChat. You may be the one who misunderstood how policy was being used.

To tell you the truth, I'm not up on Alpha Gam AI. The limited info. that I can find is in an old issue of The Quarterly that any member of the public who goes to the Alpha Gam website can see. If anyone asked for info, there's little danger that I'd give away any secrets. There's very little chance I'd say anything at all.

I do think it's interesting and worthy of comment that some of the folks complaining about threads and posts getting deleted are advocating the deletion of an entire forum. I feel confident that Greek Chat moderators would deleted any posts that contained information that any IHQ folks felt was secret.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Another perspective on this debate

Although my GLO explicitly welcomes alumnae members of local sororities who affiliate with us, we don’t have an AI process in the way many of the PHC sororities do. (In fact, I had never even heard the term before I stumbled across the AI subforum on GC.) When we occasionally come across a very special person who has contributed a great deal to the sorority, the best we can do is make them an honorary member. But that doesn’t give them full membership privileges like voting rights, etc.

After reading through some of the early AI threads I started thinking about whether an AI process might be needed in OPhiA. I have been so impressed by some of the successful AIs on GC! And when I see other PHC members refer glowingly to some AI sisters that they know personally in their alumnae chapters, it makes me think about those honorary members we have recognized in the past with a ‘what if?...’ kind of wistfulness. They would have made wonderful sisters!

IMO, a thoughtful, carefully implemented AI program can be a great asset to any sorority. It’s one that my GLO may decide to adopt. It saddens me to think that sharing basic information about the process has caused a problem for the PHC sororities that welcome AI members.
Closed Thread