Old 06-17-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

HoneyKiss, that is HILARIOUS! LOL
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
this lady leaned over to her friend and said "I bet that black b*tch this she's hot stuff now?" while I had my back to them gathering my things. After hearing this, I turn around and said "Your MAMA!" and walked out!

You said Ya Mama, ROFLMAO!!
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

Can I chime in? This has happened to me before in a meeting at work. Anyway, I did a presentation of which my boss loved. Well, as everyone was leaving the conference room, this lady leaned over to her friend and said "I bet that black b*tch this she's hot stuff now?" while I had my back to them gathering my things. After hearing this, I turn around and said "Your MAMA!" and walked out! I know, that was totally childish but at that moment, I wasn't about to let her stupidity ruin my morning.
Good job sayin something back. I have no balls and I woulda just walked out but talked about it with other people. But I think in ur case that was a racial slur. You might see it different but I see that the same as sayin "I bet that *N* think she's hot stuff now". Maybe my interpretations are different. However, in that situation, it was not childish to yell "Your MAMA". I think that's quite funny

KLTC
Old 06-17-2002, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
my .02

This was a crime. The motivation was hatred so it is a hate crime. There are so many issues here including the alarming increase in spree violence, the availability of handguns, the alleged perpetrator's mental and physical health, and racial hatred.
The amazing thing about this story was that the victims fought back and prevented a massacre. I'm stunned that there aren't more people injured considering his intentions.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: my .02

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
This was a crime. The motivation was hatred so it is a hate crime. There are so many issues here including the alarming increase in spree violence, the availability of handguns, the alleged perpetrator's mental and physical health, and racial hatred.
The amazing thing about this story was that the victims fought back and prevented a massacre. I'm stunned that there aren't more people injured considering his intentions.
Cream, you summed up everything that I was thinking. This world has gotten pretty scary.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Good point @ Cream
This sick individual committed a hate crime. I don't know why that point is constantly being lost or downplayed.

But seriously, I have been in situations where people have chosen to use racial slurs in reference to me(the N word, etc.) and to be honest with you, my response really depends on my mood at that time. Sometimes, i tell them to go read a book, or get your mind off the farm, etc. I will never provoke physical violence. I'm too old to be going jail because someone else is an idiot.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

The article said the event happened in New York. New Yorkers of ALL people are going to try some pretty crazy s**t before letting somoene with a gun tie them up.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-17-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Thanks, dzrose & Honeykiss. I like "Your MAMA" response.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
The article said the event happened in New York. New Yorkers of ALL people are going to try some pretty crazy s**t before letting somoene with a gun tie them up.
LMAO! Clearly someone who knows New York.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 06-17-2002, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I thougth it was to be yo mamma!

Girl, you go for the gusto! Good for you!

Reminds me of an earlier thread, a Black women was in an Asisan shop and were talking in Oriental and giving Sh*& about her color, but she was brought up in the military and understood what was said! I thought it was a hoot!!!!!

She gave it right back to them! Would have loved to see the looks on the faces! Priceless!

I am working on my tan, anyone else?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
I am working on my tan, anyone else?
I'm freezing my arse off. But wait, when you guys freeze your arse of, it'll be in the 80s down here. Might be going skiing next month in Kwazulu-Natal. Ain't that freaking great, I'm going skiing in Africa. I have just found a new mission in life, to ski in every continent. Done N. America, Australia and Europe, Need to do Asia and S. America.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Relavent I suppose . . .

I wait tables in a 'traditional'-style Mexican restaurant. The overwhelming majority of the management and kitchen staff is hispanic, and again the majority are from Mexico.

If you refer to them as "Hispanics" you'll get laughed at - they're Mexican, and prefer to be referred to as such.

If you refer to them as "Mexicans" but in a tone that connotes "Dirty Mexicans" or some other ignorant tripe, you're going to get your ass kicked like it's your job.

Honestly, I think this is the way to look at things - connotation is key. If you're white, people can call you white with no 'racist' overtones, even when angry. It can be like calling someone blonde. However, I think that it's apparent that there is far more history of using terms such as "black" or "colored" to connote something negative than there is history of "white" or "caucasian" with this connotation.

This may help to explain the feelings of SigmaChiCard in some small way, perhaps?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

There is no such thing as "reverse" racism. Racism is racism is racism......it isn't exclusive to any one group. I take EXTREME offense at the term....it makes it sound as if a group being prejudiced against whites isn't really racism.

Personally, I dream of a world where there is no racism at all across the board. Not gonna happen, but I'd love to be there.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst

I'm not speaking for PC America, because I'm not a part of PC America. In my view, PC America needs to take it's head out of the sand & live in the real world.
This is the most intelligent thing I have seen on this board.....thank you for saying what I have been thinking for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I use slightly more colorful language in my thoughts, but....