Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,436
1 members and 1,435 guests
UW_dawg

Old 03-01-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Pledge Names.....

My pledge name is Mighty Mouse....I really don't know how I got that name, all I know is that i tried to save the day.....Some people might say it because I was the smallest guy on line but I am 5'10 -1'
Old 03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #18 S.O.T. APO
My line name is Taxicab Confessions...not that long of a story.
My nicknames/alias' are : Bishop Don and Godiva, after the chocolate but its because i used to say GO Diva!
Old 03-02-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
Re: Pledge Names.....

Quote:
Originally posted by MightyMouse_APO
My pledge name is Mighty Mouse....I really don't know how I got that name, all I know is that i tried to save the day.....
I thought it was because...lol
Old 03-04-2004, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Pledge Names.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Attractive#7
I thought it was because...lol
I thought it was because.....................hmmmm ( I Will Think) LOL
Old 03-04-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
Re: Re: Re: Pledge Names.....

Quote:
Originally posted by SprintPCS 1925
I thought it was because.....................hmmmm ( I Will Think) LOL

LMBO!!!!!! ROTFL!!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I was so excited when I received my nickname, because it describes me SOOOOOOO WELL! As u can see I'm [color=royal blue]SPUNKY[/color] <---- What can I say, it's in the blood !
Old 06-07-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aaeapo
Nicknames and Lines

I am pledgemaster for this coming fall for the alpha alpha epsilon chapter at College of Charleston and I was wondering about the whole line and nickname thing...can someone explain the whole line thing to me? how can I get this started in my chapter?

-Ashley
Old 06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Nicknames and Lines

Quote:
Originally posted by aaeapo
I am pledgemaster for this coming fall for the alpha alpha epsilon chapter at College of Charleston and I was wondering about the whole line and nickname thing...can someone explain the whole line thing to me? how can I get this started in my chapter?

-Ashley
I'll let someone else cover lines. We don't have them in my chapter, not familiar with them.

There are basically 2 ways that chapters organize their pledge classes. One is by lines, the other is to use a 'big-little' system.

With a big-little system, each pledge is paired up with an active brother. The active serves as a mentor to the pledge and is refered to as the Big Brother. The pledge is a Little Brother. Typically, Bigs & Littles are organized into families that strength back to the founders of the chapter. As part of their pledge education, pledges are expected to learn about their family tree: who is the founder, who are the other members, etc. In some chapters, these families may have special tradtions and the like.

As I said, the Big Brother is to be a mentor to the pledge. Help them out, advise them, make sure they are doing their pledge requirements. Many chapters will have special Big-Little events to help the Bigs & Littles get to know each other better, and the like. Many times Bigs will present their Littles with gifts after they are inducted into APO. In some chapters, the Bigs might be expected to present their Littles with their first APO jersey. Many times Littles will also present gifts to their Bigs.

The use of nicknames is another aspect used in chapters. Be careful you don't stray into hazing. The idea of a nickname is some name that says something about that Brother. Some chapters may give nicknames to the pledge while they are a pledge, then another nickname once they become Brothers, others may only give out nicknames once they've become Brothers. Typically the nickname is choicen by the Big, based on what they've seen about their Little. This nickname is then put on the back of their APO jersey, above their Chapter number.

My nickname is "Collector". I collect stuff (pez, apo memorabilia, scouting memorabilia, comic books, etc). On the back of my APO jersey you'll see Collector above "51", which is my chapter number.

Other nicknames I know:

Our Section Chair is "Mr. Forklift". He had a run-in with a forklift.
Some nicknames in my chapter: "Strike the Pose" (Brother who models), "Mystress" (a goth brother), "Sniper" (Brother who likes to shoot), "City" (brother whose name is similiar to a couple of local towns in the area), "Starfox", etc.

Hope this helps
Section 71 Chair
Old 06-08-2004, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Nicknames and Lines

Quote:

-Ashley
Also, as Pledgemaster I do hope you've obtained a copy of the Leadership Series booklet on Pledge Trainers. That book does cover Big/Little programs and nicknames.

You can get a copy of this booklet from the National Office. Its on their website AND its on the Chapter Resource CD your chapter was given. Also, the Chapter Resource CD has a whole section on Pledge Program materials. Your chapter should have been send a CD last Fall. If not, call the National Office and order an extra one.
Section 71 Chair
Old 06-08-2004, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Chapters use two approaches to new member education: pledge classes or pledge lines. Whatever method you use, the Big/Little program is still in effect.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Nicknames

Thank you for the info. My pledgemaster didn't do a good job and everything was a mess last year. I was inducted and made pledgemaster last spring. I really want to bring the chapter back to being in order and being involved with other chapters. We currently practice the Big/Little system but don't have families, or family trees or any of that...they don't go to nationals or regional events...nothing...I will download that info from the nationals site thank you for that tip, the last pledgemaster didn't leave me very much to work with. I love this fraternity, and my chapter...I just want to get it back on the right track.

-Ashley
Old 06-08-2004, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Nicknames

Quote:
Thank you for the info. My pledgemaster didn't do a good job and everything was a mess last year. I was inducted and made pledgemaster last spring. I really want to bring the chapter back to being in order and being involved with other chapters. We currently practice the Big/Little system but don't have families, or family trees or any of that...they don't go to nationals or regional events...nothing...I will download that info from the nationals site thank you for that tip, the last pledgemaster didn't leave me very much to work with. I love this fraternity, and my chapter...I just want to get it back on the right track.

-Ashley
Get the Chapter Resource CD!! I was involved with that CD, and made sure to include as much Pledge Training materials as I could on it. (I was also the main editor/author for the Pledge Trainer Leadership Series booklet). This should give you information to revamp your pledge program and get it back on track. Also consider calling upon your Section/Regional alumni volunteers. I'm also in Region IV.
Section 71 Chair
Old 06-08-2004, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Online Resources

I printed out the pledge trainer information. It should get me started! Thank you so much for the advice.

-Ashley
Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

In 4 words...

My linename, or nickname, is Eye of the Storm and is based on my calm, relaxing personality And my alias is poprocks.

That being said, to answer aaeapo's question, the resources on the National Website under "Pledge Trainer Leadership Series", "Growing Pains", and "Survival Guide for Small Chapters" are excellent and cover everything you need to know about bringing in educated, committed new brothers. The line concept is a little more complex and is only useful depending on what you are trying to instill in your pledge class. Maybe it would help if you contacted chapters near you and observe their pledge program...
Old 06-12-2004, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsCongeniality3 Send a message via Yahoo to MsCongeniality3
My nickname is Ms Congeniality, from the movie of the FBI agent who is tomboy-ish and has to enter a Beauty Pageant. I have a similar personality, I guess, never seen the movie. I've always done different things, like I am honorably discharged by the Air Force, tried out for a women's tackle football team, was the school mascot "Rocky D. Bull" for Fall 2002 football season, known as a fighter, etc.

I am trying to come up with something smaller cause a 14 letter nickname gets expensive after awhile, considering I'm poor.

My number is 301 (chapter number). It would be hard going by numbers in my Chapter cause I was in Beta class (which was a petitioning group class).