GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,163
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, TSigmaSlay
» Online Users: 1,087
5 members and 1,082 guests
Sarak24034, shadokat, willTic

Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

> Primanti Brothers is synonymous with Pittsburgh

Agreed!!

Ahh! Cheese steaks! It brings back memories when I lived in Squirrel Hill.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modorney View Post
Ahh! Cheese steaks! It brings back memories when I lived in Squirrel Hill.
I'm sure Pittsburgh's version is very good, but everyone knows that the only TRUE cheesesteaks come from South Philly! (Pat's...Geno's...Tony Luke's...mmm)
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post
First off...I love the row...I have to say that Alpha Chi's house is my favorite..every time I drive down, I just admire it so much...

and WAIT

Isn't the old Sigma Pi house (brick house either on the corner of Scaff or Portland) still empty? The one on Adams, right next to Mount St. Mary's College - Doheny Campus?

Couldn't the SDT use that as their house? At one point I thought I saw a Theta Nu Xi banner on the house and maybe a month later it was gone....mind you this was between 8 - 10 years ago...I could have seen the wrong banner on the house,
That house is the former DTD house
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycat412 View Post
That house is the former DTD house
It's right next to the ZBT house right? Last time I was up at USC I remember seeing also a Kappa Sigma house that seemed to be falling apart/remodeling?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

srmom,
What happened to your two friends who participated in recruitment at SC? Have you heard any news? I hope they both found a home.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a new Trojan looking forward to rush in the fall! I can't tell you how glad I am that I discovered GC, as I'm not a legacy so I don't know much about the process. I so appreciate all your help, and I'll keep you posted as rush gets closer!

My first question is about recs. My local Panhellenic is supplying me with recs for each house because I won a scholarship from them. However, I also have several aunts and close family friends that have generously offered several times to write my letters. Is two or more recs per chapter going overboard? While I really appreciate the support of my panhellenic, I would feel more comfortable with having people who actually know me write the rec.

Also, how early should I have people send in recs? I have already started preparing "packets" for my rec. writers (with a picture, an activity/awards summary etc.), so should I give those to them now?

Finally, I have a couple friends in various houses at SC. Am I not allowed to talk to them at all, even with general questions, before rush?

Any help would be great! FIGHT ON!

Last edited by gotrojans!; 05-18-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My advice is that if given a choice between a rec writen by an alumnae panhellenic member and someone you know personally, get the rec from someone you know.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

But don't refuse recs either. More than three recs is over kill. Three recs if two of the people don't know you is questionable. Two recs is not a problem.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I always encourage PNM's to accept any rec that is offered. Go ahead and give your packets to those aunts, friends, etc. because after you hand off the packet, you really don't know FOR SURE who actually sends in the rec/letter. So, if 5 people offer to write you an XYZ rec and only three actually get it in the mail, then you are still covered.

Besides, I think turning down a rec is kind of like turning down a gift. "Thanks very much for this present, but I have three just like it so I am giving yours back."
Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrojans! View Post

Finally, I have a couple friends in various houses at SC. Am I not allowed to talk to them at all, even with general questions, before rush?

Any help would be great! FIGHT ON!
I am not sure what USC's silence rules are for summer. My suggestion is to email the Greek Life Office or visit the Greek Life website to find info about their guidelines for sorority member/potential member contact.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It's up to the members, not the PNMs to know the rules. Usually, normal social contact is allowed among girls with pre-existing relationships. They just can't steer the conversation towards recruitment and push for their chapters.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your advice!

I have just started filling out the application for recruitment (SO excited!) and I am required to "List activities in high school". How detailed should my list be? Would it be helpful to include a brief description of each activity and how long I've been involved, or do chapters prefer as terse as possible? We are given 4,000 characters, so I assume they want you to expand a little bit.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are given 4000 characters, I would list the activities as you would a job on a resume. For example, if you were a Student Council Officer, explain what you did to raise $XXX for a senior class trip, if you were in a service group, indicate what office or committee you were on and what you accomplished (i.e. visited a nursing home each week to help your "adopt a grandma" write letters), or that you were on the varsity track team and ran the high-hurdles. The more interesting information they have, without dragging it into the weeds, the easier it is to get to know you.

But you are right, be terse and to the point.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, sometimes activities can have a name that not everyone would know, so you might want to explain what they are if that is the case. Maybe not everyone knows what Acadeca or SKPades are for instance (those are two random ones from my HS).