Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,603
1 members and 1,602 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-12-2008, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachild View Post
that's what I thought---but I've seen him, and Jackie Robinson as well, listed as such on a number of chapter websites. I wonder how that got started--probably on some "wouldn't it be great if ( ) was an Alpha man?" and having it pass from conjecture to fact....

I'd swap Marion Barry for Sydney Poitier right about now (j/k)

I'm gonna start a rumor that Lawrence Fishburne (probably my favorite actor) is an Alpha!!!!! lol
lmaoI believe that the only thorough chapter website that is one hundred percent reliable for notable alpha info is www.mulambda.org or any site that refers to it.yes, I compiled the list myself, lol. yes, its not complete but I hope to get to it this summer.I used the national website, history book, skip masons book, and a few other sources that don't include 'because my prophyte told me so.'
Old 07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

That was the most objective shameless plug I've ever seen.

"My prophyte told me that Nat Turner is an Alpha."
Old 07-12-2008, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
lmaoI believe that the only thorough chapter website that is one hundred percent reliable for notable alpha info is www.mulambda.org or any site that refers to it.yes, I compiled the list myself, lol. yes, its not complete but I hope to get to it this summer.I used the national website, history book, skip masons book, and a few other sources that don't include 'because my prophyte told me so.'
Old 07-12-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
That was the most objective shameless plug I've ever seen.

"My prophyte told me that Nat Turner is an Alpha."
Nah...Nat Turner was a Que. Denmark Vescey and John Mercer Langston were Alphas, though. lol

And I heard somewhere that Harriet Tubman was a Delta
Old 07-12-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachild View Post
And I heard somewhere that Harriet Tubman was a Delta
That sounds about right. Can't hold those Deltas back.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

I must say, that is a good list. Having the chapter of initiation for many of them certainly gives it more "credibility" so to speak...and there were some on there I didn't know, such as Jerry Butler,Tony Browder and James Comer (all pleasant surprises).
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! You all have inspired me to try to work on it tonight -- setting a goal of updating the next 20 listings. I have to manually retype all the info because the interface won't accept pasted text from word documents -- BOOO!!!

And please excuse the above post -- I really shouldn't be that pressed to update from my phone, but I was just that bored.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

ALPHAS IN ATHLETICS

Alpha Phi Alpha has many accomplished members in it's ranks. Here is a list that focuses on a few of it's athletic members:

Alphas that are or have been in the NFL: Fritz Pollard, Paul Robeson, Carl Eller, Bill Munsey, Wally Triplett, Melvin Farr Jr., Michael Farr, Bobby Jackson (?), Greg Coleman, Bobby Bell, Ron Johnson, Billy Taylor, Gordon Bell, Eric Wright, Lemuel Stinson, Wes Chandler, Reggie Williams, Mike Merriweather, Jethro Pugh, Rosie Greer, Brig Owens, Woodrow Strode, Kenny Washington, Sandy Stephens, Demetrious Johnson, Kevin Potter, Charles Haley, Mike Jackson, Carnell Lake, Trizzell Jenkins, Gene Upshaw, Art Shell, Darius Holland, Ken Riley, Chris Doleman, Adrian Murrell, Derrick Gaffney, Samuel Green, Dhani Jones, Sean Woodson, Quincy Coleman, John Thortnon, Dialleo Burks, Ronald Moore, Marco Coleman, Michael Pittman, Roman Oben, Darryl Henley, Steve Jordan, Barrett Green, Michael Clayton, Vincent Newsome, Mark Lee, Nesby Glasgow, Mark Stewart, Jason G. Wright, Marcus Pollard, Henry Lawrence, Max Starks, Donald Driver, Charles Fisher, Barry Foster, Claudius Wright, Charles Mann (?), Olaniyi Sobomehin, LeMarcus Newman, Tyrell Johnson, and many more.

Alphas that are or have been in the NBA: Todd Daye, Chris Mills, John "Hot Rod" Williams, Don Barksdale, Bobby Phills, Lenny Wilkens, Lou Gossett Jr. (?), Quinn Buckner, Walt Frazier (?), Jim McMillen, Wayne Embry, Wes Unseld, Walt Belamy, Nate "Tiny" Archibald, Ulysses L. (Junior) Bridgeman, and many more.

Alphas that are or have been in Olympic/Proffessional Track: Jessie Owens, Eddie Tolan, Jimmy Herbert, Chris Huffins, Godfrey Murray, Mike Powell, Larry Wade, Sayon Cooper, Dave Albritton, George V. Rhodes, James Butts, John Woodruff, Ralph Harold Metcalfe, Augustine Schmader, Kevin Young, Jayson Jones, and many more

Alphas in other areas of sports: John O. Brown (B-Ball coach Dillard U.), Eddie Robinson (football coach/Grambling U), Stuart Scott (ESPN), Stan Verrett (ESPN), Jay Harris (ESPN), Leroy Humphries (prof. boxer), William Hamilton (prof. golfer), Rhodney Donaldson (Major Leagues baseball), James Robinson (Negro Leagues), Sandy Stephens (First Black All-American Q-Back), Donald Gaffney (First Black quarterback for the University of Florida Gators), Julius Franks (first African American All American football player at the University of Michigan), Willis Ward (3 time All American Track Star and 2nd African-American All American football player for University of Michigan and University of Michigan Hall of Famer), Clyde Fletcher (Basketball player with Arkansas Razorbacks 1990 Final 4 Team), Gerald Harris (Mixed Martial Arts fighter), Ron Humphrey (Mixed Martial Arts fighter)

Last edited by PlayboyMixx06; 05-31-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Good to See my name on that list!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I just received this link to a bio of a relative of mine, Dr. Oscar Ritchie. The bio mentions a sustained relationship with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity (KAPsi is mentioned as well, but it seems that he was a member of APhiA, though there is no information about when and where he became a member). Has anyone heard anything about him in relation to the fraternity?

http://www.hierographics.org/owritchiebio.htm
Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I just received this link to a bio of a relative of mine, Dr. Oscar Ritchie. The bio mentions a sustained relationship with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity (KAPsi is mentioned as well, but it seems that he was a member of APhiA, though there is no information about when and where he became a member). Has anyone heard anything about him in relation to the fraternity?

His name is not familiar to me, but as soon as I unpack my history book I will check the index for you. His accomplishments make me think he could be listed.

Phrozen1ne is from that region, he might have more insight.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post

Brother Oscar W. Ritchie was the first African American full tenured professor at a predominantly white university in the state of Ohio. He taught for many years at Kent State University( where the Pan African cultural arts building is named in his honor, making him the first African American to have a predominantly white public university building named in his honor). Dr.Ritchie was a proud and very active member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. His service to our Fraternity is cited many times in our History book. Additionally, he served as faculty advisor during the formation of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity chapter at Kent State and was instrumental in helping that organization gain a University chartered status. Brother Ritchie epitomized the highest expressions of our Fraternity's mission to uplift downtrodden black humanity by his courageous and unceasing fight against the blatant racism of the time both on the KSU campus and in the larger black community. At the same time he demonstrated intellectual excellence to those he taught, he showed everyone at KSU that African Americans would have to be respected as full equals in all areas of university life. Put in it's simplest terms Brother Ritchie was an Alpha man.

Last edited by Stokley06; 02-11-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

^^Thanks Stokley06. Do you have any further information (Chapter of Initiation, Year?) Please p. m. with that information, if you can.

I know a lot about the Alpha Kappa Alpha legacy in my family (Ritchie's wife, Edith, was a Soror), though even with some of the earliest members in my family, I am still trying to recover crossing information.

It is wonderful to learn about this legacy in Alpha Phi Alpha as well.

Last edited by Little32; 02-09-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Former Justice Jawn A. Sandifer- The Henderson case is considered one of several Supreme Court rulings in the late 1940’s and early 50’s that served as precedents for Brown v. Board of Education, the 1954 Supreme Court ruling barring segregation in public schools.

“None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps.” - Bro Thurgood Marshall