GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,385
2 members and 1,383 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-31-2013, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

For anyone who doesn't "love" their sorority colors, go to Pinterest or Polyvore and do a search for your sorority. I guarantee you will love all the creative ways people have used your sorority's colors for clothing, decorating, etc. etc.

Here's one example...
http://www.polyvore.com/panhellenic_...ion?id=1000064

So unfair that we didn't have the internet in my day!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I'm the only one here who has no clue which sorority she is in.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-31-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I think I'm the only one here who has no clue which sorority she is in.
Nope, I have a suspicion but don't "know".

However, I hate red. With a passion and burning fire that would probably shock and awe you. What sorority did I join? AOII, however in interest of full disclaimer I was a COB pledge who happily wanted and accepted that bid, even knowing their color was red. Turns out it was a color called Cardinal, which was horrific to this life-long Kentucky Wildcat fan. Our founders really did make a great choice with our color and I adore what it means to us. But, to this day, I'm one of those AOIIs who NEVER wear red. Give me a pink or gray or blue shirt with our letters and I'm a very happy panda.

PS: OP, I pledged 30 years ago next month. I've remained involved in a variety of positions over the past 30 years and continue to do so! Believe me when I say not liking the color(s) is NO reason to dislike a sorority.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Nope, I have a suspicion but don't "know".

However, I hate red. With a passion and burning fire that would probably shock and awe you. What sorority did I join? AOII, however in interest of full disclaimer I was a COB pledge who happily wanted and accepted that bid, even knowing their color was red. Turns out it was a color called Cardinal, which was horrific to this life-long Kentucky Wildcat fan. Our founders really did make a great choice with our color and I adore what it means to us. But, to this day, I'm one of those AOIIs who NEVER wear red. Give me a pink or gray or blue shirt with our letters and I'm a very happy panda.

PS: OP, I pledged 30 years ago next month. I've remained involved in a variety of positions over the past 30 years and continue to do so! Believe me when I say not liking the color(s) is NO reason to dislike a sorority.
I was talking about you earlier. LOL.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
For anyone who doesn't "love" their sorority colors, go to Pinterest or Polyvore and do a search for your sorority. I guarantee you will love all the creative ways people have used your sorority's colors for clothing, decorating, etc. etc.

Here's one example...
http://www.polyvore.com/panhellenic_...ion?id=1000064

So unfair that we didn't have the internet in my day!
Personally I am extremely grateful that there was no internet in my day, no digital cameras, no cell phones with cameras (wipes sweat off brow while looking furtively around to see who is still alive to testify against me).

And I am sorry, but come on ... black and gold? I love the combination on our badge. I do, I really do. HOWEVER... gold looks awful on me. My skin tone doesn't like it and vice versa. And black - yay, black. Woohoo.

Whereas I glow (was going to write glisten but I can already hear the snarks from a certain contingent) in pink in any shade, ditto for red, blue, green, etc. They didn't have AGD or GPB at my campus, and those colors might have been a little bit of work for me, but they'd be a lot better than gold. I don't even wear much gold jewelry! Gold clothing? Elvis! Liberace! Joan Rivers! Phyllis Diller!

Another thread goes astray. Maybe we should start talking about Coke v. Pepsi.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Personally I am extremely grateful that there was no internet in my day, no digital cameras, no cell phones with cameras (wipes sweat off brow while looking furtively around to see who is still alive to testify against me).

And I am sorry, but come on ... black and gold? I love the combination on our badge. I do, I really do. HOWEVER... gold looks awful on me. My skin tone doesn't like it and vice versa. And black - yay, black. Woohoo.

Whereas I glow (was going to write glisten but I can already hear the snarks from a certain contingent) in pink in any shade, ditto for red, blue, green, etc. They didn't have AGD or GPB at my campus, and those colors might have been a little bit of work for me, but they'd be a lot better than gold. I don't even wear much gold jewelry! Gold clothing? Elvis! Liberace! Joan Rivers! Phyllis Diller!

Another thread goes astray. Maybe we should start talking about Coke v. Pepsi.
This reminds me. When I was in college, we had a rumor that Phyllis Diller was an AOII. Random. She wasn't really someone that women of my generation know much about, and she clearly was not an AOII. I can't tell you how many times I heard this in my chapter, though. When she died, it was like a sister had died.

AOII

Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

AOII Angel - seriously?

No. That's about as bad as the KitKat bar belief which is FALSE. When I disabuse people of that, they get really upset with me. It's a candy bar invented in England, folks. Get over it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AOII Angel - seriously?

No. That's about as bad as the KitKat bar belief which is FALSE. When I disabuse people of that, they get really upset with me. It's a candy bar invented in England, folks. Get over it.
Oh well, I see AOIIs that think Coca-Cola labeling is red and white because of AOII. The first bottler of Coke had a daughter who was a loyal AOII, but he didn't own Coca-Cola, and I am sure was not the man behind the color choices. My chapter had a close relationship with the man's daughter and still holds events in her home (which is now a museum.)

That being said, Coke is much better than Pepsi. I will only drink Pepsi when absolutely desperate for caffeine.

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-31-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Our colors are bronze, pink and blue. I do not like them together. And who wears pink and blue together???? And bronze - we usually use yellow and I look like death warmed over in yellow - though is is my favorite color - have to leave for the walls in the house. Most colors were chosen for the ideals or concepts they are the symbol for. I get that. But I'm not wearing them together - not even the Lily version.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Confession: I absolutely loathed having a teddy bear as a mascot in college. (As a mom, I have warmed up to them.)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AOII Angel - seriously?

Do you mean to tell me all the secret Theta symbols on Bud Light bottles are false too???
Old 08-31-2013, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy View Post
Confession: I absolutely loathed having a teddy bear as a mascot in college. (As a mom, I have warmed up to them.)
I still don't like the Hannah doll thing...and one of our songs goes: I'm Delta Gam born and Delta Gam bred and when I die I'll be Delta Gam dead..really???
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Lavender and Maroon....really?? That definitely takes some getting used to.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I was talking about you earlier. LOL.
HA! I suspected that, but now everyone knows.

ngsu, I hope you've had some time to settle into your classes and to get to know some of the women in your chapter a bit better. In the end, it really is all about the people!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Lavender and Maroon....really?? That definitely takes some getting used to.

LOL, when I pledged, I thought they were the strangest colors ever. I actually really like them now