GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,023
3 members and 1,020 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 10-23-2004, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
APO is coed, so if I had a SO who was dying to know any of our secrets, he really could have joined for himself!
Old 10-23-2004, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

SisterHavana, well said!

COED is different than just Social Greeks.

Being a member of APO, BU, closed for lack of enthusiam!

Good Works are supposed to never be over looked. In this day and age, they seem to be!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-23-2004, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovely_gurl
If he wanted to know (which I'm sure is probably the last thing on his mind) yes, I would probably tell him. And other than reading this board, I would expect that my sorority sisters would not have any inkling about that
So then, if they DID have an inkling, you wouldn't tell your husband? If you feel so strongly about this, why not tell him your fraternity secrets in front of other Alpha Phis? How do you think your sisters would react?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think there is an assumption that because one shares with her husband, she is taking her GLO vows "lightly" and I would have to disagree. because our interpretations are just different in terms of what we consider to be a broken vow....for me, when two people are joined together in marriage, sharing with that spouse is *not* breaking a vow because you are now ONE. I would not make the same argument for sharing this information with my brother, my sister, my mom, my dog, my cat, etc....
So since you and your husband are ONE, you don't have sex, you masturbate. Right?

That's some weird ass isht right there, homes.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by RedRoseSAI
If you feel so strongly about this, why not tell him your fraternity secrets in front of other Alpha Phis? How do you think your sisters would react?
I can't speak for the Alpha Phis, but I know valkyrie would probably rip her a new one. Right on homes.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I couldn ever imagine tellign any of SDT's stuff to my SO.....Its SDT stuff, no need for him to know.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-23-2004, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
I can't speak for the Alpha Phis, but I know valkyrie would probably rip her a new one. Right on homes.
Mr. valkyrie likes to ask me to show him the handshake because he thinks we're all crazy sorority girls. I actually get a kick out of telling him that it's SECRET.

But then of course we're not married, so we're not ONE and sharing ONE brain.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie

But then of course we're not married, so we're not ONE and sharing ONE brain.
You're terrible.

Argh, I have the stupid Spice Girls' "TWO BECOME ONE" in my head now. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedRoseSAI
So then, if they DID have an inkling, you wouldn't tell your husband? If you feel so strongly about this, why not tell him your fraternity secrets in front of other Alpha Phis? How do you think your sisters would react?
Actually, I don't feel strongly that he needs to know....just that I would likely tell him if he wanted to know. He is not the type to ask, but if he did, I would problably tell him. And no, I don't think it makes a marriage stronger for him to know my fraternity ritual....but I also think that telling my husband is NOT the same as telling other people.

Also, I would not discuss it in front of them out of respect for their comfort. Whether or not I choose to share this with my spouse, I do recognize, (as I pointed out that HE should,) that it is still not something that he is sharing with my sisters...but rather sharing with me.

If I were asked by my sisters if my husband knew any of our rituals, I would tell them the truth...that as of now he does not....but that I would not have any hesitation in telling him. But honestly, they are not likely to ask and I just don't think it is necessary to make a production out of it.

I recognize that others may not share this belief and I am sensitive to that, which is why I would not assume that everyone is comfortable with it...and is also why....in my previous post, I pointed to what I felt the real issue was...and that is exercising discretion on the part of the husband who was insensitive in his voicing this knowledge to the sister.

Last edited by Lovely_gurl; 10-23-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
So since you and your husband are ONE, you don't have sex, you masturbate. Right?

That's some weird ass isht right there, homes.

Wow....I'm not sure I've ever read something so inappropriate.

I'm sorry that so many of you are feeling threatened by my dissenting opinion...I think I will stop posting now just to keep the peace.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
My compliments Lovely_gurl, for maintaining a level head as befits an online discourse.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

in my previous post, I pointed to what I felt the real issue was...and that is exercising discretion on the part of the husband who was insensitive in his voicing this knowledge to the sister.
Wow, your ritual must be a lot different than ours. I guess we're missing the "don't tell anyone our secrets unless it's your husband and he promises not to tell anyone else that he knows" line in SAI ritual.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

As I've mentioned before, an obligation you take to keep things private and/or secret, whether it is the ritual secrets of a fraternity or sorority or anything received in confidence from anyone, is binding upon yourself for life, even if your membership may cease in that organization.

I once held a SECRET security clearance from the Government, which was required before I could even begin surveying and updating the floor plans of the Alternate Joint Communications Center inside Raven Rock mountain in Pennsylvania some years ago. It's no big secret that the place exists and serves as the communications hub for US military traffic (more info at http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/raven_rock.htm); the Russkies once had several nukes aimed at it to wipe it off the face of the earth if World War III ever started and the nukes went flying. However, I am privy to certain details of the facility that are classified, and I am bound to a strict non-disclosure agreement that is still in force. If I violate it, I'm violating Federal law and can risk going to prison for it. There are other people I know who once were cleared for TOP SECRET SIOP-ESI (i.e. the nuclear launch codes) and are bound by even stricter non-disclosure agreements, even though it's been years since they've pulled alert in an ICBM launch control center. I know better than to ask them; they're not going to tell me.

As a member of Alpha Sigma Phi I am bound by the oath I took never to reveal any of the secrets I've learned about the fraternity; and as a Mason and a member of several Masonic affiliated bodies, I've taken a similar obligation. While I've seen and read documents on the Internet and in other books and publications revealing such information I have sworn to keep secret, but it does not absolve me from the obligations I've taken.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 10-23-2004, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Damn, this is a serious Post!

Well when you are in the sack getting your piano tunedy you are trying to find "oubpoiut" About what the Hell Your Ritual is all about or someone elses

WOW, some un-qinkey sex!?

Sandy is this in your thinking for bed time stories, sure as hell aint mine!

Oh Well Sweety, different Time Zone!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 10-23-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
My compliments Lovely_gurl, for maintaining a level head as befits an online discourse.
Thank you, James.

And thank you everyone else for the discourse. I think it's interesting...and most of the time, fun.... to hear other people's viewpoints.