GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,125
1 members and 1,124 guests
No Members online

Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I'm going to keep track of the books I read this year (outside of those I have to read for work). If anyone else wants to join me, and this is not a competition!, we can compare which books we liked in January, 2009!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillippa Gregory, and I really liked it.
I LOVE her writings. The earlier books are a little trashy, but her more recent books are really interesting historical fiction. The movie doesn't really do The Other Boleyn Girl justice.

I just read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, and it is incredible. If you like Jodi Picoult, I would recommend Anita Shreve. Like Picoult, her works aren't earth-shattering, but still a fast read and keeps you guessing.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

John Adams
Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
I LOVE her writings. The earlier books are a little trashy, but her more recent books are really interesting historical fiction. The movie doesn't really do The Other Boleyn Girl justice.

I just read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, and it is incredible. If you like Jodi Picoult, I would recommend Anita Shreve. Like Picoult, her works aren't earth-shattering, but still a fast read and keeps you guessing.
Did you read the first book, The Kite Runner? Im pretty sure the movie did nothing for the writing. Aside from the corny ending, what a good read.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
I've read all but the first Jodi Picoult books. I've also read all of Jennifer Weiner's and most of Jane Greene's.

Right now I am reading my first Diane Chamberlain book-the Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes. It is very good. I also recommend The Memory Keepers Daughter (can't remember the author) and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.
Kim Edwards. I thought it was good... well, I had to warm up to it. My book club didnt think so - im not allowed to pick books anymore.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
John Adams
I'm watching the mini-series based on the book on HBO. It's really well done and eye-opening. I plan to read the book after the mini-series is done.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Did you read the first book, The Kite Runner? Im pretty sure the movie did nothing for the writing. Aside from the corny ending, what a good read.
I read The Kite Runner and it was very moving, but not as good as A Thousand Splendid Suns. The Kite Runner centers around a single event and one person's lifelong reaction to it, whereas A Thousand Splendid Suns is more of a journey and you have to keep reading to see where everything connects. It also seemed more human to me and less of a far-fetched story. I haven't seen the movie, but I can imagine it doesn't do the book justice, as so few movies do.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
John Adams
Glad you like my relative's writing!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Kim Edwards. I thought it was good... well, I had to warm up to it. My book club didnt think so - im not allowed to pick books anymore.
I just finished this (The Memory Keeper's Daughter) and thought it was interesting. It didn't go where I thought it was going to, but it was still a good read.