GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,411
1 members and 1,410 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee199 View Post
So so sorry everyone! It is in fact midterm season and on top of the raucous celebrations that ensue when your school suddenly has the number one football team in the country I've been a little all over the place! I promise to get this all finished up soon!
MrAmoXO and I were rooting for you all on Thursday!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

ROUND 2: PHILANTHROPY DAY

To say I woke up nervous that morning is about the understatement of the century. I am a perpetually wound up and anxious person. Dealing with that whole first week of college thing had already done a number on my psyche and with the addition of recruitment my nerves had gone into overdrive. Our theme for the day duck spirit in honor of the game. I had no idea how intense would people get. I did know that recruitment was slated to end at 4 and kickoff was set for 5. That didn’t leave me a lot of time to get to Autzen, let alone my dorm first so I factored in that I would going straight there in my clothing choices. I ended up in jeans, tennis shoes, and the college game day shirt that had been selling out at the duck store that week. I went by one of the dorm food places and found it packed with girls, most in numbers similar to mine with the occasional jersey and glitter tattoos thrown in. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to eat a stubstantial breakfast AND get to recruitment on time. So I grabbed a banana and booked it over to the meeting spot. I met up with my rho gams and found that a lot my group was still missing. We more pressed for time than the last two days it seemed like and Darkwing was not pleased with the low numbers. When I told her about the long food line she started angrily texting girls and informing them that they had 15 minutes to get here or they’d miss their first party. I ended up almost wishing I had been late. Sitting there waiting for my schedule was driving me crazy. The night before talking with Huey, I’d told her that I’d loved Tin Man and Elphaba but wasn’t expecting invites back. She reminded me to be optimistic and that if it had gone well I probably would. I disagreed.
I should probably mention that I have a tendency to set pretty high goals for myself. Overall I was pretty successful in high school but like anyone else it’s easier for me to remember the failures than the achievements. The whole week I’d been thinking about the heartbreak that had come with every lost election, honors class I hadn’t qualified for, competition I’d lost, etc. I reminded myself to be realistic, that I only needed one house to find a home and I could very well lose favorites. I decided that out of 7 possible houses to get back 5 would be a wholly satisfying number to me, 4 I could live with I guessed, while 3 would probably be really upsetting to me. The only house I felt certain I was going back to was Auntie Em. Everything else was a grab bag. Eventually the stragglers started to fall in and the recruitment chair called for the rho gams to start handing out schedules. Darkwing pulled out a little plastic bag filled with paper strips so thin they looked like shreds. So many hopes and potential futures were in that tiny bag. I almost had a heart attack just looking at it. She reminded us that schedules were personal and not to be discussed and compared, and that some girls would be happier with their schedules than others. Of course I thought, that’s only natural. My name was maybe the third for fourth called. She handed it to me and I stepped away to look at it. The first part had my name, group, and PNM schedule. The other part contained 7 boxes, one for each party. 5 were empty. The first two read:
Auntie Em
Glinda

Two.
Two…out of seven.
Holy.
Crap.
I stared at that damned piece of paper like I’d been slapped. Phrases like “recruitment reject” filled my brain and did a tap dance all over my self confidence until I pulled myself together and remembered that I was going back to my absolute favorite, along with another that I’d been hoping to see again. This all happened in span of about a millisecond. I told myself 800 PNMS…800 PNMS…this had to happen…. And then I started creeping over people’s shoulders at their schedules. Full…Full….One break…Full….I was forced to a stoic realization that my schedule had nothing to do with the number of girls. It was me. Honestly, I hadn’t been expecting to go back everywhere but to not see Uncle Henry there hurt terribly. Between the recommendation and two good conversations I had felt so confident I was going back [see previous statement in that post], and here I was utterly humbled, realizing how arrogant I’d been. The girl from my middle school came over to me. Her schedule included that same two as mine along with Elphaba, her favorite. She was the only person whose schedule even came close to mine. She was really upset but tried to make a joke of it. She started talking about how no one wanted her back and she was a reject hahaha…and I just sat there with one less invite than she did. This was not helping my mindset. I stepped aside and numbly texted my mom and boyfriend along these lines: “I got invited back to Glenda and Auntie Em. No one else wanted me back…” Almost instantly my phone rang. My mother, God bless her, knows next to nothing about Greek life but had been supportive and backed my interest from the beginning. She had the concerned and conciliating voice I remembered her using every time I’d had a bad dance competition and all my friends had won. She asked me what all of this meant and I tried to explain at first, but realized that I had to leave for my first party soon. I promised her that I’d be all right and I’d call her later. I sniffled and tried to reign in the tears that had been fighting to the surface. I knew that as much as this sucked I did still have two houses that were still interested in me and I needed to pull myself together and put my best foot forward. I walked to my first house in a group but stayed silent and tried to mentally put myself in a better place.

GLINDA: Now that the first round of cuts had been made I stood in line next to different girls. No Chuck Norris in sight. See? I was finding upsides to my schedule already. I did recognize faces from my walking group, including the girl standing in front of me. She was a sophomore who had gone to the same high school as Chuck Norris. From what I understand it’s a wealthy school and it’s alumni have a pretty strong presence in Oregon Greek life, with a reputation for being pretty intense and dramatic [go figure]. She seemed extremely down to earth however and I liked her a lot. As it happened, we were called inside together. All I could think was “Oh my God, what if all the kids from your school go to recruitment boot camp and you’re just as scary as the other one!” The rusher picked us up and we sat down to watch a film about their philanthropy. We started the normal small talk before it started. The other girl had an extracurricular in common with the rusher and they hit it off. I wouldn’t say the other PNM was aggressive or in the same league as CN by any means, but was what I’d call “gently assertive”. She didn’t seem to talk in an attempt to drown me out, just to get her voice heard. I could respect that. I had hardly said anything to the rusher when the film started. I already knew what Glenda’s philanthropy was and I admired it a lot. Perhaps it was the emotional morning I’d had thus far, but I was caught off guard. I was so moved by it that I was almost crying at the end. Afterwards we did a pretty simple craft that I managed to make look rather silly. While we were working on it another member came over and talked to us. I liked her more than my original rusher though I didn’t get to talk with her as much as I would have liked. Once again I felt the other PNM was making a bigger impact than I was. I felt comfortable enough here but I was still a little frazzled. I left feeling that my chances of being asked back were minimal.

AUNTIE EM: I was so thrilled to be going back here and once again seeing this house was a relief. I got picked up solo by a sophomore. We started by doing a craft for their philanthropy. She asked me if I was familiar with it and I just smiled and said yes I certainly was. Their philanthropy has played a pretty big role in my life for a long time, but I’ll come back to that later. I don’t want to give anything away =) This craft was pretty idiot-proof but I hardly finished it; I was so busy talking with my rusher. This girl was fabulous and the conversation here once again flowed naturally. Afterwards we moved into another room and watched a video about the chapter. I tried so hard to do everything I could to let my rusher know that I was enjoying myself and really loved the chapter. The time I spent there was the shiniest of bright spots in a very sucky day.

As I left my last house all the other girls ran off to get to their next parties on time and I walked by myself to the lecture hall the recruitment staff was basing itself out of. A very sweet and sympathetic rho gamma had told me that I didn’t need to wait around the rest of the day since I was done as long as I stopped by to fill out a sheet. There was music playing inside and some recruitment staff and rho gammas were chilling out and working on computers. I walked forward tentatively and was greeted by a warm smile from the panhellenic president. She asked if I had a break this block. Trying to seem as cheerful as possible I informed her that I was done for the day and a rho gamma had directed me here. The panhellenic president is one of those faces you see all over the place during recruitment doing this and that. Like the rho gammas and other sorority women we interact with she is lovely and put together and as corny as it may sound, a sort of role model for all of us newbies just dipping our toes in the Greek waters. And here she was, a look of utter pity all for me dawning on her face as she registered that I had only received two invites…this day just kept getting better. In fairness, the pity was only there for a second and then she was all business, pulling out a form for me and giving me directions on how to fill it out. She and the other recruitment staff wished me a good day and then I trudged home and met up with my boyfriend. We hid out in a sound proofed music practice room where I called my mother, cried my eyes out, and more or less had a little pity party for myself. One of my favorite things about my mother is her faith in, well pretty much everything. In my lifetime I’ve received countless coffee mugs, magnets, and other baubles bearing her personal motto: everything happens for a reason. It’s not the easiest thing to hear on a bad day, but I knew it was the truth. Like many other parent figures my mother has an unnerving and occasionally annoying habit of being right: if she said things would all pan out one way or another, I believed her. End of story. I felt better afterwards and for the rest of the afternoon I alternated from feeling calm and optimistic to depressed and spastic, each mood swing a little less intense than the last. The advantage of my tiny schedule was that I free to head to the game whenever I wanted. So I got there early with my boyfriend. Most of the country saw the Ducks pivotal win over Stanford live on ESPN college gameday; I saw it from the front row of the student section. And maybe you saw me on national TV =)
One of my defining personality traits has always been my optimism. You’re probably thinking “yeah…sure…”, but just bear with me for a second. You see I have this pesky inability to stay upset about anything for an extended period of time. October the second is a day I’ll probably never forget. Whether I’ll ultimately remember it as the day 7 out of 9 chapters cut me or the day I had the greatest first college football experience any freshman can hope for is an issue I’ll have to get back to you on. Looking back not a month later I already recognize it as a turning point however: my perspective on Greek life and recruitment certainly changed, although not for the worse. It was a day when I started to realize exactly what I was looking for and came one giant step closer to finding it. But more on that later…
Song playing in my head this round: Bad Day, Daniel Powter.

Last edited by TweedleDee199; 10-24-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

ooh what happened next?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

do tell more!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

holding my breath.....
Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

It's SUCH a relief to know this ends with a happy ending. If I didn't know that my heart would be breaking right now.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
SUCH. A. GREAT. THREAD.

cannot wait to hear the rest!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
It's SUCH a relief to know this ends with a happy ending. If I didn't know that my heart would be breaking right now.
I second this!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay I think I'm confused... In round one you referenced a Glinda and a Glenda, but your code only had Glinda, and for Philanthropy you said both Glinda and Glenda. I'm just trying to figure out if you were asked back to day 1 Glinda or day 2 Glenda.

Quote:
The sororities will be known as
Auntie Em
Uncle Henry
Dorothy
Toto
Scarecrow
Tin Man
Lion
Glinda
Elphaba
Quote:
ROUND 1: OPEN HOUSE , Day 1

GLINDA: When I’d first talked about rushing my parents had both said “You should be a Glinda! This was because they only Greeks they knew in college were all Glindas.
Quote:
ROUND 1, DAY 2
GLENDA: This was another hugely popular house. A lot of girls were practically peeing themselves as we waited to go inside. I was a little skeptical and unsure if I would fit in here but really hoping to have my preconceptions disproved...
Quote:
ROUND 2: PHILANTHROPY DAY
The first two read:
Auntie Em
Glinda

“I got invited back to Glenda and Auntie Em.
GLINDA: Now that the first round of cuts had been made I stood in line next to different girls. No Chuck Norris in sight. See? I was finding upsides to my schedule already. I did recognize faces from my walking group, including the girl standing in front of me. She was a sophomore who had gone to the same high school as Chuck Norris. From what I understand it’s a wealthy school and it’s alumni have a pretty strong presence in Oregon Greek life, with a reputation for being pretty intense and dramatic [go figure]. She seemed extremely down to earth however and I liked her a lot. As it happened, we were called inside together. All I could think was “Oh my God, what if all the kids from your school go to recruitment boot camp and you’re just as scary as the other one!” The rusher picked us up and we sat down to watch a film about their philanthropy. We started the normal small talk before it started. The other girl had an extracurricular in common with the rusher and they hit it off. I wouldn’t say the other PNM was aggressive or in the same league as CN by any means, but was what I’d call “gently assertive”. She didn’t seem to talk in an attempt to drown me out, just to get her voice heard. I could respect that. I had hardly said anything to the rusher when the film started. I already knew what Glenda’s philanthropy was and I admired it a lot. Perhaps it was the emotional morning I’d had thus far, but I was caught off guard. I was so moved by it that I was almost crying at the end. Afterwards we did a pretty simple craft that I managed to make look rather silly. While we were working on it another member came over and talked to us. I liked her more than my original rusher though I didn’t get to talk with her as much as I would have liked. Once again I felt the other PNM was making a bigger impact than I was. I felt comfortable enough here but I was still a little frazzled. I left feeling that my chances of being asked back were minimal.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Haha yeah... I just get confused. Any variation on Glenda or Glinda is all the same =)
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

That's what I thought at first but you had a Glinda party on round 1 day 1 but a Glenda on round 1 day 2... So I was trying to figure out if the one you got invited back to is the one your parents recognized or the one you were skeptical about that was so popular girls were practically peeing their pants to go into Unless open house and round 1 are different rounds?

ETA: I think I figured it out. There's no scarecrow in round one... So one of the Glenda/Glinda houses was supposed to be scarecrow.

Last edited by thetygerlily; 10-25-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh lord you're right. Silly me. Well then. This Glinda was the house that my parents had told me all about where I was originally rushed by like ajillion people. Sorry for confusion!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, now that that's settled let's hear about round 3
Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

keep posting =)
Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

ROUND 3: HOUSE TOUR DAY

Our dress parameters for round 3 were the same as round 1, more or less casual, but excluding all ripped jeans, things you would wear for a night out, etc. I don’t quite remember but I believe I went with some sort of nice tank top and cardigan combination which was pretty much the norm. At this point I had mildly certain that I wouldn’t be going back to Glinda today, but given that the house I thought I would have left was my favorite I wasn’t super upset about this. Of all the days of recruitment this one seems to be the faintest in my memory for some reason. I made certain I had time for a full breakfast today and still made it to meet up with my group on time. Instead of having some groups outside, like mine had been, everyone moved inside of the large lecture hall they had been using for recruitment. The drop in girls was apparent: on Thursday they had needed to spread the PNMs across two such buildings to accommodate all of us and now we all fit comfortably into one [albeit very large] room. Before handing out schedules the Panhellenic President got on the microphone and gave a very strict reminder that skipping a party or showing up late without an excuse would result in being dropped from the recruitment process altogether. The way she spoke made it clear that this had been an issue the day before and that girls had claimed ignorance. I found this surprising since my rho gammas had made that fact very clear, but who knows. Once she finished Darkwing once again pulled out the little plastic baggy of doom. I was shocked to see that my schedule was just about identical to the day before:
Auntie Em
Glinda
I hadn’t been cut…I still had two….YESSSSS. Two houses I liked out of a possible five seemed like a good deal to me. We still had a few minutes before we needed to head out to our parties so we stayed sitting in the lecture hall for a bit. I had made a point to avoid tent talk or even overhearing other people’s thoughts thus far and had been more or less successful. Sitting there though it was impossible not to overhear other people speaking. Most girls still had full schedules, though they were certainly not as thrilled with theirs as much as I was with mine. Two girls behind meet me started talking and one complained bitterly, “Ugh I can’t believe that I HAVE to back to Auntie Em, I was like, purposely a bitch to them yesterday.” I heard other comments along the same line for at least 3 other houses soon after. Each time it was full on internal struggle not to turn around and say something. When I imagined doing so in my head I alternated between “…Really? Like…seriously?”, “Go die you ungrateful brat,” and something much nicer that reminded them that not everyone was so fortunate to have a full schedule and those houses might be someone else’s favorite. But I wasn’t here to argue with anyone else. So, in an altogether uncommon fashion for me, I kept my mouth shut. [I forgot to mention it earlier, but my favorite of all complaints that I heard throughout the week was after Auntie Em on the first night, “They were all just so NICE to each other. I mean how boring is that?” Seriously. I can’t make this stuff up.]
AUNTIE EM: I was thrilled to finally get to see this house beyond the first few rooms. I saw far less familiar faces today and when I got called in a pair I didn’t recognize the girl at all. The other girl and I complemented each other well enough. She seemed to be about as introverted as I was, but was obviously genuinely interested in the things our rusher said and asked intelligent questions. We shared the conversation more or less equally. Our rusher seemed a little anxious, I imagine about trying to everything that mattered in the house [bare in mind even with dropouts there was still an ungodly number of girls at each event and moving through the little hallways was a challenge], but I still really liked her. She seemed like someone I could hang out with or a potential mentor in some ways. I fell in love with the physical house. It was beautiful, unlike anything I’d ever seen. I don’t want to go into details and give it away to those of you familiar with UO Greek Life, but take my word for it when I was say that this house was positively lovely. Towards the end I met the housemother who asked what my name was and smiled. She seemed very sweet. I left just as in love with this chapter as ever.

GLINDA: I’d made the mistake of downing a whole class of water over the course of the last party and I really really needed to pee. But I felt awkward asking to use the restroom and I didn’t want to slow my rusher down. Because sometimes fate and luck do nice things I got picked up with the same girl again. Our rusher was a sophomore recruiting for the first time and her nerves were totally apparent. While I had seemed to click more with the rusher at Auntie Em than the other PNM, the inverse was true here, though just barely each time. Like I said, if there ever was a good PNM double rush pair this was it. Again I don’t want to go into specific details about the house itself but it was really nice. To me it seemed like the opposite of Auntie Em’s house. I liked it, though it was the definite silver medalist of the day. As we walked by bedrooms I was surprised more than once to recognize the name of someone I had gone to middle school with or someone I had worked with. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: it’s a small world after all [no song-in-head syndrome intended]. I had been so intent on drinking the Auntie Em Koolaid that I had to stop myself and take a minute to imagine what being a member here would be like. There were definitely attributes about this chapter that I preferred over Auntie Em, but of course there were also things I liked less. Long ago and far away when joining a sorority was a reality I’d be facing in a year rather than a few days I’d first imagined myself as a Glinda. I loved this organization on the national level and the philanthropy work they did. The chapter had certainly done some amazing things on campus, but could I see myself here? My rusher was nice enough but the connection wasn’t there. I reminded myself though that no matter how much faith I had in the system, at the end of the day recruitment amounted to spending maybe 3 hours at a house before making a decision. Strong bonds take longer than that. I contemplated as we walked and left with the mindset that if I ended up here I would find a way immerse myself in it and connect, but it was still a firm second choice.

I walked back to the lecture hall alone once more. I marked the only two houses I could on my form and went home to an uneventful day of homework. A week into college and recruitment was already wreaking havoc with my schoolwork. I talked to my mother later that night and it proved to be an interesting conversation. She had been sharing my story with the people she worked with and found that one woman had been a member of Auntie Em at a California school and one man had been a houseboy for both Auntie Em and Glinda in his time at UO, and had only glowing things to say about both chapters. If you didn’t get it before: Small. Small. World. The last thing she reminded me of before hanging up was that when I had originally looked up UO chapters out of curiosity Glinda and Auntie Em had been the first two I brought up. I honestly can’t entirely remember why. Partially based on the way houses looked, my parents recommendation of Glinda, my close connection with Auntie Em’s philanthropy. I went to bed reflecting on how ironic life can be. I had come full circle without even knowing it…