Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,414
2 members and 1,412 guests
No Members online

Old 04-18-2004, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey all,

I went to the scholarship luncheon today and had a wonderful time. It was kind of a heady experience and I reverted to my shy self, which mostly means that I mostly sat there and listened to conversation and had a few conversation about topics that I loved. I had a brain fart about asking questions, but it wasn't the right kind of setting to do so being in a room with hundreds of women of different GLOs for NPC luncheon.

My next move I believe is too send a thank you note to my sponsor in "snail mail" form and ask if there are any upcoming events that I could be invited to so to get to know the members more personal setting. I think this is the correct move...isn't it?

I don't feel it's correct, even in this day and age to send it electronically, for such an important event as this, especially since I would like to be apart of their group. What do you all think?

ms. gwyn
Old 04-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by ms_gwyn
Hey all,

I went to the scholarship luncheon today and had a wonderful time. It was kind of a heady experience and I reverted to my shy self, which mostly means that I mostly sat there and listened to conversation and had a few conversation about topics that I loved. I had a brain fart about asking questions, but it wasn't the right kind of setting to do so being in a room with hundreds of women of different GLOs for NPC luncheon.

My next move I believe is too send a thank you note to my sponsor in "snail mail" form and ask if there are any upcoming events that I could be invited to so to get to know the members more personal setting. I think this is the correct move...isn't it?

I don't feel it's correct, even in this day and age to send it electronically, for such an important event as this, especially since I would like to be apart of their group. What do you all think?

ms. gwyn
Ms. Gwyn,

You have such a positive attitude about this and I just wanted to commend you on it!

I've always been a big fan of snail mail because it provides a more intimate and personal tone. The fact that you were invited to a wonderful event like a NPC luncheon is a great thing and an honor, IMO, as most NPC alumnae would not invite just any average Jane to this event.

To me, e-mail seems the most convenient, but...correspondence such as a "Thank You Note" will probably be and hopefully be much appreciated. Just knowing that you took the time from your busy schedule to show some gratitude will be a plus to your progress. It certainly won't hurt to do so.

Good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Co-sign!
Nice stationery or even a hand written card!

Glad you had a good time!

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Ms. Gwyn,

You have such a positive attitude about this and I just wanted to commend you on it!

I've always been a big fan of snail mail because it provides a more intimate and personal tone. The fact that you were invited to a wonderful event like a NPC luncheon is a great thing and an honor, IMO, as most NPC alumnae would not invite just any average Jane to this event.

To me, e-mail seems the most convenient, but...correspondence such as a "Thank You Note" will probably be and hopefully be much appreciated. Just knowing that you took the time from your busy schedule to show some gratitude will be a plus to your progress. It certainly won't hurt to do so.

Good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with OTW and Jill - a short handwritten note is the BEST thing to do! All you need to do is tell your sponsor is how much you appreciated the invitation and how much you enjoyed yourself and that it has further crystallized your desire to become a blah-blah-blah (I forget what symbols you are using). And be sure to end by saying that you look forward to the next opportunity to get involved. You could also re-state what you talked about at the other lunch you went to --e.g. your willingness to help if desired at any upcoming philanthropic events.... Just double check to make sure there are no spelling or grammar errors and it is legible!!!!

Sounds like it was a great afternoon!

Old 04-18-2004, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Ditto what OTW, Jill & GPhiBLtColonel.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted ya'll to know that I've hit a road bump in my journey and I think the FAT LADY is packing up for the day.

I've have her on speed dial to call her back real soon.

I hope to still be a part of Urania, but I have put some feelers out to some other organizations.

With this time of year, its going to be slow moving because of summer and convention season, I really don't except to hear anything but I still very positive and will work on how to get invited back to some events with Urania.

In the mean time I'm also going to contact my "pledge sorority" and ask them some hard questions about my particular situation.

If you guys are not up on THAT situation, go here. I just want to make sure that everything was done "correctly", I was never given a clear explaination on WHY and if they did the procedures correctly, hopefully I can get some answers. I'm not bitter, just very curious. Some people that I've talked to recently have raised some doubts and since its been over 10 years and the chapter is no longer in operation perhaps I can some real answers.

ms. gwyn
Old 05-23-2004, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey girl hang in there! Are there any other events planned or are things just slow because of the summer and convention coming up?

I started my search in the summer and things were a hell of a lot slower

Hang in there
Old 05-23-2004, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't be discouraged. A lot of groups really slow things down in the summer (mine does) and it's hard to be patient.

Good luck with your search; I wouldn't count Urania out just yet. Things have a way of working out.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to give you a brief update of what is happening in my journey.

I had such a positive experience with Urania and fell head over heels in love with the women who were helping me, that I nearly got my heart broken when things didnt work out. Not to worry, the best thing that has come out of the experience is that I count these ladies as friends, even though we will not be sisters in [insert GLO name here].

I have contacted a few other groups and have gotten a not so positive result from one (but very glad that I got to speak with someone at least, yay) and now I move on to

Polyhymnia, to be honest with you, this was/is one of my "Dream" organizations. I feel such a connection to them, of course superficial in nature) but nonetheless, I have that connection.

Now I'm just in the very beginning stages, I have had a few email conversations and have some paperwork to fill out, of course this by no means, means that I will become a member, I'm sure its to send to the AAs in my area so see if they are at all interested in sponsoring me.

You know? I feel a connection with all these groups on so many different levels that it can be confusing, but sitting down, writing out what I want and focus on those things makes it easier for me in this process, I've said before that I will always have a place in my heart to the GLO that I pledged in college, but that doesnt mean that I can't find a different home, a place where I will be just as happy, that's how I feel right now with Polyhymnia.

There is no excitement here, I'm just going on a journey and will see how it turns out, I know that I will find my home and it was the place that I was supposed to be all along, it has just taken me a while to get there.

To the ladies in Urania, thank you for all the time and effort you put into helping me with my journey, you don't know how I felt that you help some random person get into your sisterhood, such a wonderful place and I really do wish that it had worked out, but that door is closed now (it took me a while to see that) and perhaps a new one has opened.

I learned early in life, yet sometimes I need reminding that if I get to excited about something, that something usually doesnt work out, so now I'm just along for the process (what I mean, not getting excited, just being).

As always I will keep everyone informed of my journey and I hope that during this journey that no one has or will get hurt, life is just to short for that.

I think I'm rambling now.....

ms. gwyn

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 08-31-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey girl, I am sending good vibes your way!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm sorry things didnt work with urania, but it looks like you may have another shot with the other group! it stinks you got a poor response from one of the other groups you contacted, but at least it happened early in the process before you invested lots of time. good luck with the next phase of the process.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You have such a great outlook. I'm having trouble staying positive, but your message helped me to see that there never is an absolute end. There are always opportunities. Hang in there!

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 09-09-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
ms_gwyn~

I sympathize, and I hope things go well. I have a firm belief that at some point, I will find my life-long "home" in a sisterhood... but it can be trying at times.

I've also received some unfriendly responses-- but as pinky said... better that it come out in the beginning than later on when you've invested the time.

In the interim, I have my first meeting next week with a GLO that truly speaks to my ideals from their website description. I'm crossing my fingers that things go well and move forward!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Ms. Gwyn,

We've all heard that when a door shuts, a window opens. I am so sorry to hear that things did not work out with one group, but hope that things do with another.

I am doing AI as well, and discovered that one group does AI in only very rare circumstances, which about broke my heart. Each group has its own way of doing AI and that is just how they choose to do it. There are so many good groups out there that do, it's just a matter of finding the place that you need to be. I think this is much more difficult than formal recruitment.

I talked with a colleague of mine who is in a GLO--she said to look at the creeds of the groups, and that will also help you find the values that are important to you as well.

It's nice to get the support that we are getting from the GCers on this board and the other PNAMs.

Please PM me if you want to talk more!

Cheryl

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 11-15-2004, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok hopefully this will be a brief update......

As you know that I have sent off paperwork for both Polyhymnia. I also have paperwork for Euterpe, but I would like to actually speak with someone at National in order to get some clarifications on some points before I send out that paperwork. Let me reiterate that this paperwork is for introductionary purposes only.

Then suddenly after some long hard honesty with myself and some tears, I decided to contact Terpsicore. And I have been invited to a meeting with them sometime in December.

Like I have stated in all my messages, I do know what I want from these organizations and having read each of their creeds, purposes, mission statements, etc. I have decided that either one of these organizations will be perfect for me.

Each one of their philanthropies effect in one way or the other, so that is not my biggest concerns. Besides the 2 philanthropies that I advocate the most for, I can do on my own, just because I am a part of a GLO (I’m thinking positive here), does not mean that I can’t help as many causes that I would like to!

I completely understand that discretion is the key and some of you may look down on me that I am moving forward with 3 organizations at once, but nothing may come of it or something may come with all of them. I just do not know and will not know until I’ve been contacted by alumna from each organization.

I know that I must sound like a scatterbrain to some of you, but really I am not, I’m just a bundle of contradictions.

As I go through this process, I have to be aware of what I can offer an organization and what I want form that organization.

What I offer is a great passion to see an organization expand and help in their mission statement, creed, motto, etc. A strong sisterhood, to help a collegiate chapter in any way that I can. I want a leadership role, local and then later nationally, like to be a part of the expansion committee, to get this sisterhood in as many places as possible. But really what I think I have to offer is my passion.

What I’m looking for is a great dedication to this amazing sisterhood, to be supportive of each and every member, whether they have 1,000 or 200,000 members, that they are not just a number and a financial payment (I understand that on the surface it’s a business, but its also something greater than that). A great dedication to their chosen charitable cause.

I don’t want to just join an organization just for the letters and the badge. The day after I get initiated I will say to each women in the organization, here I am, I am ready to work any way that you need me, I’m in this for the lifetime commitment that you just spoke about at the service!

Ok this HAS turned into a novel, I’m stopping now

I hope I translated my feelings clearly

ms. gwyn