GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,184
2 members and 1,182 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDiva View Post
All of these magazines start to recycle the same stuff over and over again. The only one I read with consistency was Emerge because the articles about black politics and education were always hard hitting. Remember when they did a cover with Clarence Thomas on the cover entitled "Uncle Thomas" and had his head covered like Aunt Jemima. I knew they couldn't last long because advertisers would get scared.

Essence used to do 3-4 page feature stories that were in depth. Now they barely cover 2 full pages and the interviews are edited down to nothing. Guest celebrity writers is a pitiful concept because they always want to interject themselves instead of letting the person talk. I hated the interview that Terry McMillan did with Jill Scott. Oh, and I'm not sure if it was Essence or Heart and Soul that did an inteview with Nicole Ari Parker where she said she was angry all the time. Nobody even bothered to follow up with "why is that?"

I do better just reading the stuff from the internet and calling it a day.
I enjoyed Emerge. George Curry, its editor, is a whip-smart guy, but I am not surprised that Bwana Bob Johnson pulled the plug on it, since he is about the bottom line.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still trying to find the thread but Essense was bought out by either Conde Naste or Viacom or someone.. I had cancelled my subscription not long before that.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
^^^^
Essence was bought by Time a few years ago.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug13 View Post
^^^^
Essence was bought by Time a few years ago.
Thank you
Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

The direction of Essence may say alot about African American ownership and the direction the magazine takes as a part of a "little fish" in a multimedia conglomerate. By the way, Ed Lewis, the former chairman of Essence (who also was a pivotal figure in the establishment of Latina Magazine) is a Que.

The Princely Family of Liechtenstein is the wealthiest european royal family,and they are "low key," that is, they aren't much into the celebrity aspect of royalty.They work, fulfill their responsibilities and attempt to lead "normal" lives. In fact, Prince Maximilian, the husband of HSH Princess Angela, is a graduate of Harvard Business School, and worked in high finance in New York City when they met. He's now with an Industri Kapital,a private equity house in Germany.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 09-20-2007, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought it was just me!

I love Essence, but I realized that I hadn't received my copy of the mag since...May...and I really didn't care. I'm in my late 30's...so maybe it's time for a new grown folks mag.

It's interesting because the new editor Angela Murray is around 38 years old.

I have to agree with the other posters, that story on Kim Porter was just ridiculous. Why do we care?? Not only has P-Duddy not married her ass after she had all these kids by him, but he's had very public open relationships with other women...J-Ho being at the top. But then she starts talking about "how Duddy came home to her anyway". *sigh* And throwing much shade at J-Ho. Just....no.

Now it's..."I can't take it anymore...but I had to sneak out...he'd never let me leave..." OMG...I am so not impressed with the theatrical diva antics...and the Oscar goes to...

sorry...but that just annoyed me for real...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, I finally remembered to post here. I had found some links 3 or 4 years ago about this couple.

http://royal-weddings.tripod.com/weddingsma.htm

The royal forums-thread on HSH Princess Angela <--There are links in this one to pictures.

http://www.thumperscorner.com/discus...tml?1126674389

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 12-02-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post
Sorors, I had a melt down today when I received the new Essence Magazine.

I am proud to admit that I am 36 years old. But I gotta tell ya, I feel like Essence is no longer targeting women of my age. I believe they are going after a much younger demographic.

No disrepect to anyone who is a Keisha Coles fan but I'm puzzled as to why she's on the cover this month? Essence seems to be in partnership with the networks who do reality shows like VH1 and BET.

But the thing that really did me in was yet another story on the clucker - Kim Porter. I'm soooo tired of seeing story about her and Puffy.

Meanwhile, a 42 year old Sista from NYC married into one of the wealthest royal families in Europe seven years ago and Essence hasn't covered her?

I have pics of her, her husband, and their son on my blog but I have not been able to find any recent features or news on HRH Princess Angela!

SHOULDN'T ESSENCE COVER THIS STORY??!! Or is it me?

OK, I'm sleepy and going to bed...thanks for letting me rant
I completely see and understand your point. But I work in "the business" and from an editorial standpoint, I also completely understand the decisions they are making.

Like it or not, Keyshia Cole (or however she spells it) is going to sell covers. Princess Angela won't, plain and simple. For that matter, Cathy Hughes on the cover won't sell either. It's no different than the reasons why (white) actresses are now routinely on the covers of high fashion mags like Vogue, etc., when a decade ago it was (white) "supermodels." Bottom line? Jennifer Anniston/Jessica Simpson/Angelina Jolie, etc. sells, and the models don't. Our mags are no different.

Journalism is not a science but it is tactile -- there are editorial decisions that are made that a segment of the audience will disagree with, but that the target demographic will love -- and purchase. That's really all they care about.

Regarding the 2nd Kim Porter story -- considering the turn of events (Diddy having yet another kid out of wedlock), and the prominent play that the first story got -- Essence had to do another story. And, appropriately, it was in the back of the magazine. It really was no different than a follow-up story in a newspaper. Sort of a "what do you think of this and how are you moving on?" story and Kim spoke her peace and now, I guarantee you, Essence is done with it.

Maybe it's "inside baseball," but from an editorial and fiscal standpoint, those were good decisions. Now, do I wish Essence (and Ebony, for that matter) would do better overall? YES. But that would require them to go the way of, say, Ms. magazine and stop trolling for advertising dollars altogether -- and are we prepared to pay $6 for what we claim we really want to read? That's another story altogether...
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Then maybe it's time for a NEW magazine with a different demographic and relevant topics because it's apparent women (including myself ) are not happy with the current status quo.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2bDST View Post
I completely see and understand your point. But I work in "the business" and from an editorial standpoint, I also completely understand the decisions they are making.

Like it or not, Keyshia Cole (or however she spells it) is going to sell covers. Princess Angela won't, plain and simple. For that matter, Cathy Hughes on the cover won't sell either. It's no different than the reasons why (white) actresses are now routinely on the covers of high fashion mags like Vogue, etc., when a decade ago it was (white) "supermodels." Bottom line? Jennifer Anniston/Jessica Simpson/Angelina Jolie, etc. sells, and the models don't. Our mags are no different.

Journalism is not a science but it is tactile -- there are editorial decisions that are made that a segment of the audience will disagree with, but that the target demographic will love -- and purchase. That's really all they care about.

Regarding the 2nd Kim Porter story -- considering the turn of events (Diddy having yet another kid out of wedlock), and the prominent play that the first story got -- Essence had to do another story. And, appropriately, it was in the back of the magazine. It really was no different than a follow-up story in a newspaper. Sort of a "what do you think of this and how are you moving on?" story and Kim spoke her peace and now, I guarantee you, Essence is done with it.

Maybe it's "inside baseball," but from an editorial and fiscal standpoint, those were good decisions. Now, do I wish Essence (and Ebony, for that matter) would do better overall? YES. But that would require them to go the way of, say, Ms. magazine and stop trolling for advertising dollars altogether -- and are we prepared to pay $6 for what we claim we really want to read? That's another story altogether...
I understand what you are saying about the cover, but from what others are saying there could have least been an article. I stopped buying Essesnce and Ebony years ago, because there were just fluff.

Also I agree with those who spoke about Emerge. It was a great magazine.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

George Curry writing for Philly newspaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
I enjoyed Emerge. George Curry, its editor, is a whip-smart guy, but I am not surprised that Bwana Bob Johnson pulled the plug on it, since he is about the bottom line.
Hey Soror,

George Curry is a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer now. I miss Emerge too and appreciated their "in yo face" journalist edge.
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Does anyone remember a short-lived magazine called 'Honey'. It seemed its target age group was 18-25. I used to buy it, but I think it is no longer published.
I could've swore that I just saw that mag on my BF table not more than 3 weeks ago. I think it was an updated publication You might want to see if they have a website or something. I think they are still around.
ETA: Yep, I believe their website is www.honeymag.com

Last edited by IncontRHOllable; 12-10-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: left out link
Old 12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncontRHOllable View Post
I could've swore that I just saw that mag on my BF table not more than 3 weeks ago. I think it was an updated publication You might want to see if they have a website or something. I think they are still around.
ETA: Yep, I believe their website is www.honeymag.com

Thank you for the update!!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Black Royalty: Mary Countess von Habsburg of Austria

From another blog:

Quote:
Black Royalty: Mary Countess von Habsburg of Austria

Countess Mary is married to Ferdinand Leopold Joseph Count von Habsburg of Austria. The royal family of von Habsburg are descendants of William the Conquerer.

Mary was born in Wau, Sudan under the name Mary Nyanut Ring Machar. Countess Mary and Count Ferdinand are 38 years old and both are born under the astrology sign, Cancer.

Countess Mary married Count Ferdinand on August 28, 1999 in Nairobi, Kenya. The couple have 3 children together: Countess Luisa Aluel (born August 3, 2000), Count László Rum (born May 25,2002) and Countess Gisela Aluk (born October 22, 2004).
All three of the couple's children were birthed in Nairobi. As of yet, I haven't located pictures of the children.

Yes, Countess Mary is considered an equal in her marriage, even though she's a commoner and African. A couple members of the Royal Family had a problem with that, but Head of the Habsburg Royal Family, Dr. Otto von Habsburg has declared all Habsburg marriages are "equal."

Thank goodness Countess Mary has married into a family that is lead by an open-minded individual.
The Habsburg's are known for their interracial/intercultural marriages and I'll tell you about the other sistas in this family shortly.

Once again, as I stated in my post about Princess Angela of Liechtenstein, there should be more coverage of these imperial black women. I can understand why Anglo magazines don't show love, but what are the black publications excuse?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I'm actually intrigued about how many sistas of royalty there are! We should be hearing more about this. This topic would make a great documentary!