GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 983
0 members and 983 guests
No Members online

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I do think everything got blown out of proportion, but I do have to come to Luke and Margie's defense on a couple of points.

Simple fact: Luke is deaf. I don't think Keisha (Jen?) meant to run into him at the first clue box, but Luke's elbow was an instinctive reaction for someone who cannot hear and is wary of being attacked from behind.

Keisha and Jen could do nothing but complain about what happened in the cab to the next clue. In my opinion, they were hoping/looking for something to happen the next time they ran into Margie and Luke.

Luke should have let it go when they reached the check in. But, he was angry and wanted to make his case known. As Margie said, all his life, people have made fun of him when he signs. When Margie saw the girls laughing, I don't blame her for her first reaction being that someone was making fun of her child. I think most mothers would react the same way.

I did have to laugh a little at Victor and Tammy literally caught in the middle. Victor looked like he wanted to be anyplace else in the world, but standing between two fighting teams.
If I was Victor or Tammy, I'd be pissed that the two girls had the nerve to check in before me after they all basically did NOTHING at the detour but ride my coat tails.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
If I was Victor or Tammy, I'd be pissed that the two girls had the nerve to check in before me after they all basically did NOTHING at the detour but ride my coat tails.
I agree, but it's a combination of whoever can use their wits AND run the fastest. They got outrun, plain and simple.

He should have said to the calligrapher (in Chinese): "Stamp us, and then give us a head-start before you stamp the other teams. If we lose, our parents will (LOL) cry themselves to death back in America".
-----
Okay everybody...you can rewatch the discussion at the mat here and then we can discuss / analyze:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aimCmQ3YyIo
I'm not sure where the 'laughing' part is? Is it at the 2:10 or 2:12 mark?

To me, Luke put his butt out at the first clue box (kinda like "boxing out", as one would do in Basketball) and to me, this is proof that he was WELL AWARE that she was there, deaf or not. So I don't really buy the whole, "it was an instinctive reaction to being taken by surprise because he couldn't hear her coming because he is deaf" excuse.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-20-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To me, Luke put his butt out at the first clue box (kinda like "boxing out", as one would do in Basketball) and to me, this is proof that he was WELL AWARE that she was there, deaf or not.
I agree, he knew she was there, and to me it looked like she put her hand on his back to stop her momentum from pushing him down.

They were both scrambling for the same thing, and at the second box, it was his momentum that pushed her into the box, nearly knocking her over. (btw, good save - she's got good balance, I would have landed on my face, on the box!).

I also agree that the "laughter" was more of the nervous, "this is awkward" type. My kid does that too, and I sometimes want to "Wipe that smile right off his face!!" Haha (child abuse JK) He can't help it! It is what he does in a tense situation!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
I also agree that the "laughter" was more of the nervous, "this is awkward" type. My kid does that too, and I sometimes want to "Wipe that smile right off his face!!" Haha (child abuse JK) He can't help it! It is what he does in a tense situation!
I think lots of people do, either reflexively or (as I think one of the sisters may have said) on purpose to either diffuse the situation or keep cool themselves while the other side gets hotter.

Frankly, the whole thing reminded me of a basketball game where things are getting a little rough. Call a time out and let everyone chill a minute.

ETA: Here is what Phil had to say about it. He says he thinks the laughter was nervous. But I swear, I think there were one or two times, before and after, when one or both of the sisters said they would smile to make the other person madder, meaning it was on purpose, though not with the intent of making fun of his deafness.

But I love Phil just for saying this about Jaime and the choreography competition: "Yelling at someone who doesn't understand your language when you're in their country -- are you serious?"

Last edited by MysticCat; 04-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm trying to remember if, during other extended legs in other seasons, the clue actually said "pit stop" before they received another clue or if the leg just seemed to go on forever?

The swimming challenge would have been my best one so far. MC and nittany: my words of wisdom when you dominate the race, don't ever choose the challenge where someone has to judge whether you are doing it well enough. It always takes longer to please someone else than to just endure whatever the other task is, except, maybe, with calligraphy. It messed up the mean pretty girls with choreography and it messed up Tammy and Victor and Jen and Kisha this week. Both teams would be much further ahead if they had done the swimming first.

I wasn't surprised by the "To Be Continued" because of the timing of episodes left.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM

When Victor and Tammy started talking about how bad it would be for them to be eliminated in China, my first thought was: You guys are toast.

Has there ever been a season of TAR where the women outnumber the men at the end? 4 teams with 6 women and 2 men currently.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to say, I was ecstatic that the mean girl (sorry for the nice one, but she's attached to a witch) didn't win a leg!!

Gosh, did the timed jumping thing mess up Tammy and Victor or what?? They did pretty well in the swimming thing, bummer they didn't go there first!

My husband was saying that they should have just stepped off the diving board at the same time and gravity would have brought them down in sync. I wonder if they could have done that, instead of bouncing up?

Still dislike Luke and Margie, I really hope their snarkiness causes Karma to catch up.

As they said, Babye!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The diving task should've been so easy. I don't get why they all didn't practice it on land first. If they had just practiced the same approach, they should've bounced at the same time. Both of those teams are made up of pairs that are about the same size, so it should've been easier for them. As someone who used to be on dive team, that task was driving me nuts.

ETA: I think it would've been more fun if they had made them complete a certain dive, like an inward. Would've made for some great TV!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

WAAAAYYYY back when I learned to dive, I was told to stand at the end of the end of the board then walk forward three steps. Turn, then one two three jump. Just watching the divers I would think they would have figured out some variation of the 3 steps then jump thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally got to watch it last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
MC and nittany: my words of wisdom when you dominate the race, don't ever choose the challenge where someone has to judge whether you are doing it well enough. It always takes longer to please someone else than to just endure whatever the other task is . . .
No question! And especially with the diving -- it was obvious to me that would take forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
My husband was saying that they should have just stepped off the diving board at the same time and gravity would have brought them down in sync. I wonder if they could have done that, instead of bouncing up?
Maybe. But the height was enought that disparities in weight could come into play. I think Tammy needed to be a hair ahead of Victor so that the weight thing would even out, but trying to coordinate that would be hard.

Jen and Kisha can leave now and can take their ugly American attitudes with them. So can Cara. Meanwhile, Luke and Margie, give what happened before a rest and concentrate on your own race. Holding on to grudges ain't pretty or helpful.

Funny how I didn't really like Tammy and Victor at the start of the race and now they're the only ones I really do like. (Margie and Luke, you've almost blown it with me.)
Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Finally

Jen and Kisha can leave now and can take their ugly American attitudes with them. So can Cara. Meanwhile, Luke and Margie, give what happened before a rest and concentrate on your own race. Holding on to grudges ain't pretty or helpful.

Funny how I didn't really like Tammy and Victor at the start of the race and now they're the only ones I really do like. (Margie and Luke, you've almost blown it with me.)
Ditto, ditto, ditto

And I like that Victor realizes how much they've grown as a team
Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
My mom was very unsuccessful at getting details out of Cara and Jaime last weekend. She needs to work on her interrogation skills.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
i don't think i would have taken that bathroom break with the race so close.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSAE View Post
i don't think i would have taken that bathroom break with the race so close.
I thought the same thing when they kept talking about how badly she had to go. Run to the mat, get checked in and then run to the bathroom. The was the most expensive bathroom visit those two sisters have ever had.

DaffyKD
Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Memo to Team GC - wear Depends!