GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 934
3 members and 931 guests
sks211, XRumer23stush

Old 11-01-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm....I think that one individual should be removed from campus (more for his own safety, I would think, if the situation is as bad as it is made to sound) and I don't know about the chapter...closing won't do any good, but neither will not doing anything...from the U-Admin's point of view, they have to do something, even if its just a "manditory sensitivy training session" or some such nonsense. the real punishment will be to their reputation

Last edited by RU OX Alum; 11-01-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

The official Johns Hopkins press release is here:

http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/ho...ct06/frat.html

An excerpt from a Sigma Chi statement on their HQ web site:

The fraternity's investigation into the facts surrounding the party is well underway, and a formal decision on further disciplinary action related to the chapter and its members is expected following a meeting on Nov. 14 of the Sigma Chi Executive Committee, the fraternity's governing body.

http://web.sigmachi.org/wps/portal/!...silonexpulsion

An account of a CBS report mentions that a Sigma Chi member has been expelled, describes some of the costumes allegedly worn at the party, etc:

http://keyetv.com/national/topstorie...305143504.html

Excerpts from longer article:

WJZ in Baltimore reports a member of the fraternity who hosted the party has been expelled from the fraternity. "The person responsible for posting this advertisement, which in no way represents the tone of the party held, has been expelled from the chapter." said Joseph Chung.

After an afternoon of meetings among members inside the fraternity house, the chapters founder released this statement. "We regret that we misplaced our faith in this individual and the fraternity would like to express our disgust and distaste for his insensitivity."

Before the party, the chapter of Sigma Chi put out e-mails urging students to attend what it called "Halloween In The Hood," and reminding them to wear the most "despicable" costumes.

Some partygoers said they saw a costume that resembled a slave and others that were stereotypical, depicting African Americans wearing a lot of jewelry and sagging their pants low.

What may have been the most controversial prop at the party was a dark-haired stuffed skeleton hanging from a noose outside the frat house.

"If you know your black history, black folk were hung, so you can't tell us that that's not meaningful to us," said Black Student Union Advisor Deborah Savage.

School president Bill Brody called the fraternity's party "inexcusable."

School spokesman Dennis O'Shea said, "We're just appalled. This is not the type of thing which should be going on in a University community."

School officials also say a University advisor talked to frat members before the party and told them not to go through with it.

On Sunday, three members of the frat went to a Black Student Union meeting, where Union members say they tried to defend the party.

"They claimed they didn't understand why we were upset, why it was offensive," said Black Student Union member Chrisina Chapman.

. . . Sigma Chi's regional supervisor, John Miller, said he fully supports an investigation into the party.

"I support and I know the general fraternity supports getting to the bottom of this," said Miller. . . .

So, if the article (above) is correct, a university advisor told Sigma Chi not to go through with the party, but they went ahead and held it anyway? Really "stupid," though it's hard to say JHU students are "stupid" or "dumb," given the school's admissions standards.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-01-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I love how a Pirates of the Carribean prop with a noose bought from a store which was identified by the chapter president get turned into a representation of a black person being lynched. Having a skeleton hanging from a tree isn't out of the ordinary.

PhrozenGod....I can agree with your point.....but the fact that the fraternity immediately kicked the kid out is probobly a good indication that they had no intention of advertising their party in that manner. That is why I think that the chapter shouldn't be held totally responsible and kicked off.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
I love how a Pirates of the Carribean prop with a noose bought from a store which was identified by the chapter president get turned into a representation of a black person being lynched. Having a skeleton hanging from a tree isn't out of the ordinary.

PhrozenGod....I can agree with your point.....but the fact that the fraternity immediately kicked the kid out is probobly a good indication that they had no intention of advertising their party in that manner. That is why I think that the chapter shouldn't be held totally responsible and kicked off.
I believe they kicked him out after the incident was in the news.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
No, just very involved with their church, that kind of thing. A lot of people say 'I'm a christian' and show up for holiday services.

Also, here is the text from the invite:

Let's talk about Chinese people! With their kung-fu and all that silly ching-chang-chong talk! I can't understand you! Go back to yer country! White power!
For those who didn't catch it, the part in bold is from Chapelle's show, when he was doing the skit about a black, blind white supremacist.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
For those who didn't catch it, the part in bold is from Chapelle's show, when he was doing the skit about a black, blind white supremacist.
Dave Chapelle was funnier, and threw better parties.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully the kid won't have a mental breakdown and go off to Africa.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds6 View Post
I believe they kicked him out after the incident was in the news.
I dunno for sure........I just thought that the Presidents letter he wrote said they kicked him out before any sort of investigation got under way.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Hopefully the kid won't have a mental breakdown and go off to Africa.

HA!!! He would definitely return with more joke material.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Tear-Drop (TEP)

I believe that there are times that fraternities and sororities are sometimes oblivious to the fact that people this day and age are sensitive to certian things.

As a hispanic male, I would be offended that a party like that would be going on. But then agian, people at times believe things like that are funny, or have no affect on surround individuals.

One has to be consious of the fact that:

Even if it is a themed party, when is it taking it too far? And will there be consequences?

The JHU brother's learned the hard way, and it should have never gotten to that point. With respect for the fratenity, I know for a fact that this does not represent the National's POV.

I am not bashing the fraternity at all, but I am saying that all greek organizations should be a little bit more socially concious...
Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe a positive suggestion would help. How about a party theme that couldn't possibly offend anyone? For a fun event at Johns Hopkins, the invitation could read something like this:

You're invited to Chi Upsilon Zeta's (XYZ's) annual "Medical Fraud Blowout." Come dressed in your white coats, scrubs, or regular golf or tennis wear! Each guest should bring an entry -- WIN CRAZY PRIZES! -- in as many of our traditional categories as they wish. Be creative! Have fun! Our popular categories are

*** Medicare fraud
*** Medicaid fraud
*** Workers' comp fraud
*** Fake data for clinical trials
*** Nursing home kickbacks
*** Personal injury claim fraud (NO WHIPLASH -- it's overdone)
*** Refusal to treat uninsured patients (entries showing a hint of empathy or sympathy will be disqualified)

New this year by popular demand >>>>

*** False data for scientific reports
*** Most outrageous HMO "consultant" fee
*** Most outrageous HMO or hospital medical director salary (can include backdated stock options!)

Our guests will each get one of our famous "M.D. = Mega Dollars" party shirts! Awesome campus wear!

We'll have refreshments, big tubs of real play money, a band, the hottest men and women on campus, and our PARTY TIL U DROP attitude!

Out of ideas for entries? Ask a parent who's a doctor, a friend in med school, or a faculty member!

Nobody could have issues with something like that. Just harmless fun.

Right?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

That wouldnt be a party, thats just their life. Its like when people have high society parties, they ask us for clothes.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear-Drop (TEP) View Post
I believe that there are times that fraternities and sororities are sometimes oblivious to the fact that people this day and age are sensitive to certian things.

As a hispanic male, I would be offended that a party like that would be going on. But then agian, people at times believe things like that are funny, or have no affect on surround individuals.

One has to be consious of the fact that:

Even if it is a themed party, when is it taking it too far? And will there be consequences?

The JHU brother's learned the hard way, and it should have never gotten to that point. With respect for the fratenity, I know for a fact that this does not represent the National's POV.

I am not bashing the fraternity at all, but I am saying that all greek organizations should be a little bit more socially concious...
Well considering that the BSU marched over there with an intent to find a racist slant to the party and never even set foot inside the party, I'd say perhaps people need to be less sensitive instead. Someone somewhere is going to be offended no matter what. There is no pleasing all people all the time. It's retarded. Soon someone will say that a Las Vegas themed recruitment party is offensive because gambling is against christianity and oh god think of the children.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
Well considering that the BSU marched over there with an intent to find a racist slant to the party and never even set foot inside the party, I'd say perhaps people need to be less sensitive instead. Someone somewhere is going to be offended no matter what. There is no pleasing all people all the time. It's retarded. Soon someone will say that a Las Vegas themed recruitment party is offensive because gambling is against christianity and oh god think of the children.
I don't know what JHU's greek system is like, but would male BSU members even be let inside? At my school and many I have visited, most fraternity parties have archaic lists. Even when someone is on the list, entry might be denied without a member even checking it(as they see other randoms walk in without being asked about their list status). It would be an extra hard slap to the face to hear about an "urban" themed party and then not get let in because of some sort of risk management issue(the members' fear that I'm a real thug or something... and the lack of women with me).

Without getting too far into that realm(the party could have been open for all I know), it can be safe to say that their BSU acted rationally and with a level of diplomacy that shines brighter than the ignorance of a few individuals. The BSU was just as sensitive in the aftermath, as Sigma Chi was when planning the party.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless the BSU just issued a statement or something, I really fail to see what their place is in this. If the BSU had a step show, and a fight broke out, could SAE roll in there and investigate? They're just a student org, not some sort of regulating body.