GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,376
2 members and 1,374 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 05-29-2001, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

This is my second time trying to become a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. I will forever try until I die to become a member of this great sisterhood.

What made me interested in Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated acutally came when I was 5 years old. My girl scout leader is a Delta. She would take us to step shows and function as a child. I began to get extremely close to her family. Her daughter and I are the same age. I would seen her and her line sisters come together every saturday morning for brunch and they would shoot the breeze. They seemed like they were having tons of fun. Of course this was before I truly meant was Delta was all about. As I continued to grow, Delta was always very vivid in my mind. I became a Del-teen. I also participated in debutante ball that the local alumnae chapter has in my city. As I grew older I began to ask my mentor (my former girl scout leader) about Delta Sigma Theta Incorporated. I went to the library and began to look up information. At this time I was Junior in High School. I didn't find out much I looked at a few websites and then I asked my mentor. She bought me the book in Search of Sisterhood. To any prospect please go buy this book and read it. This will tell you what you need to know about Delta and it will give you some insight on this great sorority. I read the book in 3 nights. I found out that three women that I look up to are members of this great organization. Lena Horne, Dorothy Height, and Barbara Jordan. This sparked my interest in being a delta even more. Also just to know that 22 young woman had the courage and strength to almost bring an end to one sorority just to start their own. They wanted to get their thoughts and ideas across and they had a broader picture of what a sorority should be. This told me that I too must be a member of this great sisterhood. Because I am a person who is willing to fight for what I believe in and won't give up until I achieve it. My mentor began to tell me I had time to focus on Delta Sigma Theta when I got in college. But I still began to find out all I could about Delta. I began to meet undergraduate and graduate members of the organization. Any activity that Delta sponsored I was there and still continue to be there. I had the distinct pleasure of winning the Betty Shabazz Scholarship which was for $2500.00. I got the opportunity to work with Marian Elderman Wright (delta). Spending the summer with her gave me the opportunity to meet more Delta's and to learn more about the organization. I believe in the 5-point thrust and I know being a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated takes hard work and determination. Another reason that made me want to be a member of this sorority is the fact that everyone that I have ever met in this sorority is very done to earth and friendly. These women are workers and they take care of business. I have met many members of Delta that are extremely religious. Some being pastors and ministers. This was important to me because I am very religious. Once I entered college I was very determined to be a Delta. Before I had the chance I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had to leave college. Even when I was at home I still had the opportunity to meet many deltas. My OB-Gyn is a delta. Since returning back to school a year ago, I was determined to do three things. Stay healty, get good grades and to fulfill my dream to become a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated. I still continue to read the book, look on websites and am very active in the activities that the Deltas sponsor on my campus. I didn't make the cut the first time around. But that has not stopped me from having that fire to be a Delta girl. I will continue to pursue my goals in getting good grades which i do I carry a 3.3 gpa, Staying healthy and one day to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated. So now I hope that the women that are already members of this great sorority understand why I want to be a member of your great sisterhood. God bless.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I must say that the four sororities in the Divine Nine all exhibit qualities of service and excellence to the black community and world overall. But Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated seems to make their presence known just a little bit more. I never knew too much about fraternal organizations until I got to college. Prior to then, I knew only about Deltas and they were all successful in everything that they were involved in. That left a lasting impression in my mind that this organization produced such prominent women. Even though I have women in my life who were not college - bound and degree - recievers, they took paths in their lives to make them legacy that I would one day like to follow. As for Delta, it is the same. There are paths and choices that the Deltas I know made
and I would love to shadow and emulate to become successful in the right and integral way.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:40 AM

Lightbulb

My answer to this question is in one word really, and the word is Growth.

I think what first attracted me to Delta Sigma Theta, Sorority Inc. was the fact that you (the members) are people first. Being as how I am a very people oriented person, I liked the fact that the women of your organization defined Delta Sigma Theta, and they did not let Delta Sigma Theta define them. This to me was one of the most attractive qualities of Delta Sigma Theta.

Secondly, are the strong roots that Delta has in the community for service as well as leadership; I'm an avid believer of Malcolm X's quote: "If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything." Delta Sigma Theta to me stands for education, empowerment, enrichment, awareness, culture, leadership, kindness, compassion and so many more things that I would not be able to fit in fear of sounding redundant and laborious. The fact that so many of the women that are members of your sorority are doing so much to change what is around them is astonishing to me. Reading what the members have accomplished has only lead me to believe that there is a certain air about women of Delta Sigma Theta and the air is one of success.

In addition, there is the fact that Delta Sigma Theta does so much work for the community that it is amazing. A lot of people say to me, you better not tell a Delta that you want to be one because of volunteering, but when in reality this is also one of the MAJOR aspects that drew me towards Delta Sigma Theta. I have a history in volunteering since I was younger because my other always told me I MUST give back. It was not an option for me, and the thought of there being a group of women that are also saying that this is not an option, or a duty, or a task, but a RIGHT. That alone left something that would resonate in my mind for weeks and months to come.

My greatest impact though is your political awareness. Now this touches me deeply because of the fact that being at the age of 20 I am now able to vote. I became a naturalized citizen not to long ago and Delta Sigma Theta is such an awesome power in bringing all aspects of political life to the forefront for not only black female Americans but black Americans as a whole. Your involvement in things such as voter registration drives and the Delta Days in Washington caught me attention. I guess because I was not given the privilege it made me more eager to want and Delta Sigma Theta helped me understand the importance and power that my political awareness has on my future.

Now, being that I did not get to have such a Delta influence that some of these ladies were lucky enough to have I had to make sure for myself that this would be the right decision for me. After saying all that I did above that leads me back to the one word of Growth. With all those factors interplaying and Delta Sigma Theta's desire to affect, change, and shape the world around them there is no way that there could ever been another choice for me. And lastly, Delta Sigma Theta has told me something about itself as a whole that was spoken directly to my heart. This was their desire to provide a Sisterhood (not a group) for women who are of like mind to come together and celebrate their accomplishments, their intellect, and their motivation for the betterment of man. The desire in my heart that Delta Sigma Theta Place there (like it did for many others) is something I will never try to deny.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

These replies are excellent!!!

Ladies, you should all commend yourselves on how much substance you possess--well at least in answering this question. Just a few suggestions though.

1. I would not suggest mentioning family members who are
members or boyfriends (although I don't recall seeing any of
this). Honestly, no one truly cares. You need to make it on
your own recognizance.

2. Do not say you want to emmulate another individual. Deltas
are leaders, not followers. We need people not only to follow
all the paths that have been blazed, but also to make new
ones. There are always new issues to be addressed. and
finally,

3. be persistent, know your history, and be confident--not cocky.

from the responses I saw, I feel as though you all will make excellent candidates for potential membership.

and sorors, I understand you feel we should have received more responses, but it's all about QUALITY, not quantity. I'd prefer the intake to be reduced to an annyal amount of 10 who work, than 100 who do not. Just remember, all people are not interested in membership to uphold all principles of our organization, we want them to weed themselves out anyway. Because when the time comes, they won't be prepared, and you know what I mean.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlacrityZK
" In Search of Sisterhood"

Well when it comes to expressing why I wish to submit to Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. I freeze, not it is time for me to thaw out and express myself huh? Paula Giddings states that "Delta Sigma Theta was created to change and benefit individuals rather than society." As you see, Delta women are leaders. They possess their own identity which contributes to many aspects in the communit. Mental Health and Education just to name a few. They took the iniative to seperate themselves and create a powerful sisterhood. I am sure that everyone can say they are a leader. However, I don't say it, I SHOW it through my community service, my grades(which can be better ) and my demeanor itself. I am not cocky, I am just confident in myself. I want to submit to Delta Sigma Theta, because of the values, morals, and committement they hold so true to their hearts. Sure, it is easy to party, wear paraphanelia(sp) and do the call, but that is not what I am looking for. I am in seach of a hard task where I have to work continuously and diligently to complete it.

See look, I have froze, I have been sitting here for about 5 min trying to get my thoughts together on what else I can say and it is all a blur. I hope this is not a bad sign, that I will not be able to express myself at Rush. I am working hard to say more and sell myself, for Delta is a Fortune 500 Sistercompany and I want to be employed there
Old 05-31-2002, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I was looking through my old post and ran across this one. This topic was one of my favorite and I enjoyed reading the responses from fellow sisterfriends. Since there have been new sisterfriends joining the board I would love to see from your point of view "What is it about DST?"
Old 06-05-2002, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

why dst?

Candy girl pushed this topic up and I thought I would say really quickly why dst and why not the others....

I can quickly say with conviction my main reason... others are just small things that too lead me to Delta including my insipiration by Sadie TM Alexander. I am black female law student at Penn and her inspiration has been amazing.... but....

The most important reason is... my parents were always very very black concious, and raised me very socially aware. They were not even liberals, but more like leftists, so the plight of my people has been engrained in me since birth. During college, with all my home training, education as a politics and race theorist in college I decided I would dedicate my life to fixing 4 key areas in my communities... Health, Politics, Education and Foreign Affairs. (see where this is going...) I left school for a sememster and worked for the Surgeon General in the Office of Womens health and on the hill. Returning to my neigborhood I registered 384 new voters in two weeks and I am a polling station official (cant have anymore floridas..) I tutor, teach SAT Prep, college essay writing classes and computer skills in inner city neigborhoods with grants I raise. Lastly I journeyed to South Africa last winter and worked in a community center in a South African township. I lecture and do workshops on AIDS, HIV prevention and erasing the stigma...

In everything I have done, every place I have travelled, every organization that has sponsored my programs, a Delta has been there to lend support, comfort and guidance.... it wasnt later that i learned of the 5-thrusts and the 4 pillars I had dedicated my life to, were 4 of the 5... then I realized why were crossing paths so much. why wouldnt somoene want to be part of an organization that has the same vision, members with the same drive and mostly the ability to create change. I saw an organization that would allow me to grow as a person in terms of my service, but that would also grow because of my service

Last edited by 4MYPEOPLE; 06-05-2002 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

ttt

How wonderful it is to see that some folks who posted eons ago have now gone from Sisterfriend of DST to SOROR of DST!!

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 12-28-2002 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
While I had always known about sororities and fraternities it never crossed my mind to join one until I attended college. I attend a small, predominately White Catholic college and greek life is not a recognized part of our student activities. There are, however, 4-5 Latin fraternities and sororities on our campus. This was the first time that I saw Greek Life up close and personal. One of the reasons that I then wanted to join a sorority is due to the fact of the love that I saw among members of the sororities, especially Lambda Theta Alpha. The women is that chapter always looked out for each other and that sense of belonging was something that I valued but had yet to find among the female "friends" that I had encountered in the past.

However, I did not want to join Lambda Theta Alpha for two main reasons. One, is the fact that while I knew some of the members I was not very close to them (I live off campus). Second is the fact that I did not want to join a Latin sorority, no offense but I would rather belong to an AA sorority.

Therefore, during my junior year, I started to search for African American sororities and came across the four: AKA, DST, ZPB, and SGR. I decided that I would do online research through their official websites to see if any of them would appeal to me. Two stuck out in my mind, one being Delta Sigma Theta. Of course, this is when I found out that I could not pledge at the other college in our area. So I thought, why not try to have a chapter started at my school? Unfortunately, this had already been attempted by a member of DST who works at my school. Since I knew that it would be impossible for this to occur, I set my sights on pursuing alumnae membership.

One of the main reasons why I ultimately decided to pursue membership with DST is due to educational point of the five-point thrust. I agreed with the sorority's idea of the Delta Academy to help young teenage women with, among other things, self-esteem and academics. In my opinion, if we start with the youth hopefully they will be educated enough to follow through with the remaining thrusts such as political awareness and economic development.

Currently I am still pursuing my goal but I have been doing as much research as I can. This includes reading
In Search of Sisterhood and also getting to know the members of the local alumnae chapter (who I must admit have ALWAYS been helpful to me).

I think I'll stop, I could go on, but hopefully the reasons why I became interested in DST are clear.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 12-30-2002, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Home of the "if you're looking for a man please don't relocate here", loosing Falcons and even worse Hawks... The A.T.L. (I love it though)
Send a message via Yahoo to TruePursuit
I'm so glad I finally get to say...

I never new this topic existed but I'm glad that I came across it. I love sharing my reasons for wanting to become a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated for two reasons... (1) I believe my reasons are so genuine and sincere that they may give others, who are only looking to Delta for what she can do from them, a chance to see that you have to love Delta first not join the organization and them grow to love her and (2) I love speaking on things that I feel passionately about.

To be totally truthful, it took me a while to comprehend that there are non-members out there that have membership in this illustrious organization deep in their hearts just as I do. I say that because, every time I heard (or read) a person's reasons for wanting to become a member I always thought that they couldn't feel as strongly as I do. I actually just came to grips with that reality after reading a few replies to this post. OK so, here are my reasons...

I have come to realize that I am most satisfied when helping others... I love to get a phone call and a friend (or a stranger) is on the other end saying, "Crystal, I need your help". God placed me on this earth to make a change. He picked me up out of the ghetto and allowed me to matriculate to a Big Ten University and receive an excellent education. This wasn't just so that I could make a lot of money and live "large" with my immediately family; He did this so that I could give back to the struggle. The struggle that our Black children are facing single everyday. I can personally identify with the Education Development portion of the five-point thrust because I was never encouraged to attend college from my academic counselors in high school. It hurts my heart in thinking of all the great minds that will be wasted because of our lack to motivation. We all have to take responsibility in raising children within the community. With that said, I see Delta women every single day doing something to improve our communities. From large, nation-wide programs to situations more personal and specific like a teacher (a Delta of course) going into a child's home on the weekend to assist them with their mathematics. I promised myself when I started typing that I would not be long (but we can all see that I failed in that) so I'm trying to hardest to summarize my point of view. I simply feel that I was put on this earth to do a job... a job I feel will run a lot more smoothly if I were surrounded with women of my caliber. I'm not searching for an easier path to fulfill my responsibilities to my community, but a more efficient path. Therefore, I can contribute to Delta Sigma Theta as a Christian woman who is committed to adhering to my responsibility of building the community.

Furthermore, I get personally "sick" when I see women who, were granted membership is this great organization, but no longer work for her. Realize ladies (prospectives) that this is a lifetime commitment! Delta is a lifestyle... a lifestyle that I feel that I'm actively pursuing but would love to combine my works with women who have already initiated program that I want to work towards enhancing. I'm a hard worker by nature. I have NEVER had anything handed to me... but I realize this is all for a reason. God has been making me a stronger person with every blow or disappointment I have been presented with in my lifetime. OK, now I'm going off on a tangent so I'm going to stop my explanation here.

I'm sure none of you can feel my sincerity (but I'm almost in tears) just like I couldn't feel yours. But I now realize that the love is strong in all of us who posted on this topic and hopefully we'll spend more time working for Delta as members then pursuing Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated as prospectives. And remember a very important statement, "I will never lower my aims, for any temporary benefit which might be gained". Stay true to the pursuit and never stray. If you're a true lover of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated you'll know exactly where that quote came from and what I meant by it.

Yours in Chirst,
Crystal
Old 12-30-2002, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow can't believe i didn't respond earlier

In high school, all I had ever heard about was AKA. Actually, I didn't even know it was called Alpha Kappa Alpha. I just knew the colors were pink and green (hey, I was only in 10th grade). When I was a senior, my AP English teacher (a Delta) advised me to apply for the Delta Sigma Theta scholarship through the local Alumnae Chapter. I was one of the five recipients in my county to recieve the scholarship that year and the only one from my high school. I had to go accept it at one of their gatherings. There I saw many familiar faces, some teachers...a neighbor...my brother's friend's mother...my old girl scout troop leader...the wife of one of the few black dentists in the area, etc. They were all so beautiful dressed in red and wished me good luck in continuing my education. This is what initially sparked my interest.
I wanted to find out more about this organization who helped pay my tuition. I searched the internet and went to the library to read In Search of Sisterhood. It was checked out (as it always is) so I bought it from a book and stationery store I was working at. It was cool learning about the organization, famous members, and it's purposes but nothing prepared me for meeting the undergraduate chapter during my freshman year. They were an awesome group of ladies...so involved around campus, they had the highest GPAs on the yard and the most community service hours, gorgeous, and friendly. A member from that chapter had been crowned homecoming queen every year for the past 4 or 5 years. Several were dating the star athletes and the best looking men on campus. Their programs were always packed and they were the tightest steppers. They were the "it" girls and most folks on campus wanted to be down.
Being the wide open freshman I was, I knew my stuff wasn't together so I didn't even try to pursue membership. Since that messy first year and a little soul searching, I quit all the partying and threw myself in the books. I have been keeping myself busy in student clubs and service, and researched the other sororities.

So why Delta Sigma Theta? In my opinion there is one main thing that sets this organization apart from the other D9 sororities and that is the commitment to excellence in service and awareness from the origins. The fact that Delta was created not only for social and academic purposes, but also with an emphasis on public service makes this sisterhood stand out. Personally, the Deltas I have encountered have been motivated, intelligent, sophisticated, and dedicated. I'm not saying that members of other organizations do not have these same qualities, but for some reason, Deltas have maintained characteristics of being strong, sincere, fierce, confident, and yet earthy at the same time. They are on point and about business. The goals of the thrusts and some of those defining characteristics match those of my own. I feel most comfortable around these women because I feel we have similar interests. Deltas have been blazing trails especially in the fields of education and politics, which are two things our people need to be more aware of.
There is no other way to describe why I want to be a member other than it's just in my heart and it's for me. I hope and pray the local undergraduate chapter will see that when the time is right.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM

Ok since it seems like everyone has answered why DST, I wont repeat the same (personal, friends, family), I'll answer as to what I have to offer Delta.

As a Christian woman who is still in search of her quest in life, and whose life has always been dedicated to serving the community, by helping change young lives, I believe that DST can benefit from someone who will be active, and not just wear the letters and colors. I will always be a health advocate, politically aware, I'm international by background, I believe education is key, and I'm currently pursuing my professional degree. I will be this if I'm in delta or not, My life will always exemplify the 5 points, I just know that as the late MLK said no person is an island, we can't make it alone, and thats where sisterhood comes to play: To help guide me on my path of life.

As a young black woman with origins nested in Nigeria, and well traveled, I was quite impressed with the part of the 5 points program: "International awareness and involvement" The outreach program established in South Africa, and the involvement with the hospital.
I believe this is highly crucial in order to break down the stereotypes that exist on both sides (AFricans and African-Americans). I believe I will be able to serve as a link, because I am fully aware of the ignorance that exists, and believe that both sides have much to learn and teach each other. I also would like to extend the membership to other African countries(other than Liberia) , as i believe the young women there can benefit highy from the Delta principles, in order to help make the change the injustices found in many African countries, such as my homeland Nigeria.

As a future doctor, I will always be a leader in my community. I remain a strong black woman constantling carving my own path in life, tryin to elevate myself to the next level, and taking others along with me. This has been seen in my life experiences and activities.

After reading "In search of sisterhood", I knew I had reached my decision.
Unfortunately the undergrad chapter at my schl was suspended throughout my undergrad, but I hope to be given the opportunity to go through the local alumnae chapter.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FLKING
What set DST aside from all the other for me was best described below by DST_philoso4......

~~~2. Do not say you want to emmulate another individual. Deltas
are leaders, not followers. We need people not only to follow
all the paths that have been blazed, but also to make new
ones. There are always new issues to be addressed~~~

Like many of you that have posted, a member of Delta Sigma Theta also touched my life. Growing up in the south and coming from a low income family, people tend to judge by what you have and don't have instead of who you are and what you are capable of. It took one of YOUR members to make me see the light at an early age. I had been a mediocre student up until I reached her classroom. Being the only African American in her classroom, she was determined that I would leave her class as the top student. She had a sign that was posted on the front of her desk that read, " LEAD--FOLLOW--OR GET OUT OF THE WAY." Remember the little note pads your assignments used to be written in? Well I always had an extra assignment to do. I remember when I found out I was the only one doing extra work; I decided to complete only the work the class was assigned to complete. When I received the homework back, I had 50%. When I questioned her, she simply stated that I had completed half of the assignment so I received half of the points. On top of that she gave me detention. IMAGINE THAT . During detention she told me that the situation I faced in her classroom would be like what I would face in the world. True I would stand out because of the color of my skin, but she wanted me to stand out because of my character, and education. That day I went home feeling like someone other than my mother really cared about my future and me. I was always taught the importance of education, but I really took it to heart when a caring "outsider" brought it to my attention. Mrs. Wicker decided to give me the test they gave to the students that would participate in the gifted program for that calendar year. She told me that if I did not make it into the program, not to be discouraged and that I was still smart. On the day of the test, the principal came to the classroom and called out the top 3 students name in my class as well as mine. I remember hearing some of the kids snicker as I left my desk. Before I walked out the room, I looked at Mrs. Wicker and she mouthed, "you can do it." I took the test came back to the class and the wait began. Before I left school that day, the principal came over the PA system and asked Mrs. Wicker to send two students to the office. My name happen to be one of the names he called. When I reached the office, I was informed that I had been chosen to participate in the Gifted program. I was shocked and excited all at the same time. I ran back to the room and gave Mrs. Wicker the biggest hug a 4th grader could give. When the year ended, I can gladly say that our relationship did not. In fact, I had to attend the 5th and 6th grade in the same school and she kept close tabs on me. I moved to the Midwest after completing the sixth grade. Being that I still have family in the south, when I graduated from high school, I sent her a graduation announcement. She was not able to attend because of a scheduling conflict. She did call me and tell me she would make it up to me. When I asked how I only graduate from high school once, she simply said, " I will see you in four years when you graduate from college." When I enrolled in college, she made it clear that I was to do nothing less than my best or else she would see me sooner than graduation. Even being as old as I was and her being 1500 miles away, I knew she would make good on her promise. When the time came for me to graduate, I called Mrs. Wicker and told her she needed to book a flight to Chicago, IL for June 2, 2000. She told me she would be there. This was in February. In March I learned that she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer. As the months rolled on I was not sure if she would be able to attend the ceremony or not but if she did not I would surely for give her. My family got in two days before graduation and I had not heard from Ms. Wicker. On the morning of my graduation, I received a phone call from her and she was crying and congratulating me on a job well done, ya da ya da. I assumed she was not coming. When I walked across the stage, I heard my son yell my name so I looked in the direction of where he was sitting. I was trying to make out the person whose lap he was sitting in. As I walked down the steps, it hit me like a tone of bricks. I never return to my seat, I ran straight to Mrs. Wicker and again gave her the biggest hug. That was the best gift I could have received for graduating. Her seeing me receive my diploma was total gratification for me. When she was done hugging me she asked so where are you going to get your PhD? Just like and educator .

My motto is nothing is worth having if it is not worth working hard for. I have done research and I continue to do research. I 've had the pleasure of communicating with many members of your organization; the experiences were unforgettable. With the same compassion as Mrs. Wicker, each member displayed faith, kindness, professionalism and business sense that have only enhanced my desire to become a member of your organization. I am cognizant that I do not need to be a part of an organization to make a difference within my community or the world for that matter. However, I know great minds think alike and therefore Together Everyone Accomplishes More.

FLKING "The distance a man travels is not as important as the direction."
Old 07-18-2003, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, what is really going on? I'm seeing these "dissertations" with little to NO substance! I've stated before what Delta is NOT looking for, and so many of you seem to continue to insinuate you'd like to follow in the footsteps of others. Let me tell you all something, DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY, INC. is composed of very accomplished leaders. We do NOT need followers, nor do we need people who only mention what Delta can do for them! If someone were to ever ask you "why DST"? You need to state contributions you can make to the organizations, and/or how you can expand on already existent programs.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DST_philoso4
Ok, what is really going on? I'm seeing these "dissertations" with little to NO substance! I've stated before what Delta is NOT looking for, and so many of you seem to continue to insinuate you'd like to follow in the footsteps of others. Let me tell you all something, DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY, INC. is composed of very accomplished leaders. We do NOT need followers, nor do we need people who only mention what Delta can do for them! If someone were to ever ask you "why DST"? You need to state contributions you can make to the organizations, and/or how you can expand on already existent programs.

I understand that you may be disheartened by the responses to the question but the question was "What is it about DST". I'm sure if the a question was posed about what could an interest offer DST than you would receive responses geared toward what the we can do for the organization.

It is true that Delta is full of accomplished leaders. However, I disagree with the statement that the organization doesn't need followers. Everyone can't be a leader. In order for an organization to function properly somoeone has to follow, otherwise everyone will be bumping heads. I took a leadership class in undergrad and one of the most important concepts was that a leader must first learn how to follow.