Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,615
1 members and 1,614 guests
MSKKG

Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a sigma nu at the U of A. I actually snuck into the house a few days ago on the way back from a rush party. All of the rooms are finished, however the bottom floor is not yet furnished. The square on the patio looks like it is going to be a fountain (there is piping that runs around the inside of the square)... however the original plans I think showed a tree? We'll see how that one works out.
I believe the patio is also supposed to have a grill of some sort.
The letters are located at the top of the walkway on the ground as you cross under the arch as well as just above the main entrance (which is out of view in the pictures because it is on the inside of the "L".
The back of the house, as the pictures show, has plants.
The house, as it looks in pictures, is HUGE. It is the closest to the Stadium and located right next to the Phi Delt house (as can be seen from the picture showing the back of the house)
The sod should be going in soon, as well as the furniture on the lower level.
If y'all are wondering about the view, my room is on the part of the L that sticks out towards to the street (so the part of the house visible in the pictures all the way to the right). From my window I can look directly out over Barnhill, to the left off into the Boston Mountains, and to the right directly at the Student Entrance of Razorback stadium.
About 10 minutes after we got into the house we were asked to leave by construction workers who said we weren't covered on the insurance while it was being constructed. This was a sunday, meaning they are working quite a bit to have this thing finished asap.

Obviously, all sigma nus are welcome to drop by on gameday to pre party with us shortly before the Hogs beat the mess out of their opponents.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Thanks for the update. Some questions.
- Is there parking for the members close to the house?
- Will there be enough room on your lot for volleyball or bball areas?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
Thanks for the update. Some questions.
- Is there parking for the members close to the house?
- Will there be enough room on your lot for volleyball or bball areas?
- There is parking directly behind the house as well as a few spots in front of the house along Stadium Drive. There are enough spots for every member in the house to park (54 members living in the house). However, parking permits are $400 and when it's already costing $6,000 to live in the house and another $3,000 for food there are several people opting out of buying the permit. Members can also park in The Pit (the parking lot right next to Razorback Stadium) for something like $100.

-Vball and bball.... well.. not as of yet. We don't have any plans to put in a volleyball or basketball court. There are several fraternities on the Row that do have volleyball areas, but none (that i know of) with a bball court. However, the HPER (the student athletic facility) is less than 2 minutes from the new house, and it has plenty of basketball courts. The intramural fields also have very nice vball areas and is a 10 minute walk from the house.
There IS room for a volleyball area, but I don't know as of yet that they are planning on putting one in.
As you can imagine, with the U of A being built on a hill there is very limited space. Add to that the fact that we are on Fraternity Row and right next to the football stadium... and you can imagine why it is difficult to put in vball and bball areas. But, maybe in time...

Last edited by RazorSnake; 07-31-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorSnake View Post
Members can also park in The Pit (the parking lot right next to Razorback Stadium) for something like $100.

HAHAHA! How many boys did I have to fight off in the Pit back in the day? And it wasn't just in the seventies, my aunt said the same about the forties.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the parking is all taken care of, it's nice to have friends in high places (dear Brother White, the Chancellor of the UofA). They are expensive, that's all parking and transit's fault. The pit just requires a regular student parking permit, $64. We're actually going to have a few spots in the union parking deck, so that's nice with the covered parking.

You know, we "could" put in a volleyball court, put there's not a flat spot, and it would basically be in the front yard no matter where we put it because we butt all the way up to the hill. I don't think it would be a good idea, and that's really disappointing. Our old house had a sweet basketball court with the letters in the concrete AND a volleyball court. Pretty much ballin outta control. I guess we could go play on those.

The patio is so amazing. Unfortunately the firepit got scrapped. Oh well. It is so nice downstairs, really classy. It's all painted and the tile is laid. All the doors are really nice wood, I think mahogany. If we put some leather bound books in the library, we're set up for an Anchorman quote!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, with ground space at a premium, and the house being so close to the student athletic facility, it isn't that much of a big deal I wouldn't think.

ohh yeah, and I have been to the old SN house back in the day; this one destroys it - that place was a bomb shelter compared to this monster
Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the old house sucks balls. The university put the chemistry guys in there while they were renovating the chem building, I had to go visit a professor. You can't even pass somebody in the hallways, they're so narrow. The location was pretty good, I mean, not like right next to the stadium (ballers!) but it was right there next to dickson.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

damn! they are quick with that grass installation aren't they.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Their house definitely is coming along nicely... can't wait to see it when it's all finished.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZK761 Send a message via MSN to ZK761 Send a message via Yahoo to ZK761
Maybe they should do a video tour of the house like ASU did...that would probably do the house more justice then pictures
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We'll see if we can't get a video tour together or at least a good collection of photos from the outside and inside once we move in here in a couple weeks
Official move-in is August 16.
Yeah the old gamma upsilon house was... well, yeah. It did have a good location (Dickson), a bball and basketball court, and a very cool Sigma Nu creston the front, but the style was pretty outdated and it sat back against the opposite side of the hill (new house on the West side, old house on the east side) so that it looks a lot smaller than it actually was. All in all, it was a piece of crap. Supposedly the architect is a big deal in those circles and also designed the Kennedy Center. Whatever.
I wish we could get that crest from the old house and somehow incorporate it into the new one. Though... it might have been stolen.
We need to watch out for other fraternities using the house as some pledgeship rite of passage (*cough* sigma chi trash cans *cough*)
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
The house looks absolutely amazing, RazorSnake!

Are the cut-outs in the sod for trees along the stairway?
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaNuHX766 View Post
The house looks absolutely amazing, RazorSnake!

Are the cut-outs in the sod for trees along the stairway?
Yeah, they were putting trees in this afternoon. It's awesome! You know, there is something going on with the slab at the old house, I don't know what the deal is. Shenry, don't forget who's idea that was!

The architect that designed the new house has a balling website, they do alot of greek houses and do sweet pics, I'll have to find it. I'm sure that they will put this up there.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSigmaNu View Post
Yeah, they were putting trees in this afternoon. It's awesome! You know, there is something going on with the slab at the old house, I don't know what the deal is. Shenry, don't forget who's idea that was!

The architect that designed the new house has a balling website, they do alot of greek houses and do sweet pics, I'll have to find it. I'm sure that they will put this up there.
haha i'll give credit where credit is due. it was a very good idea!

the website for the architect is
http://www.treanorarchitects.com/greeklife.html
Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, brah.