Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I remember hearing of a nearby college that had required NPHC sororities to participate in NPC rush/recruitment week to be recognized. I think it was the school's attempt to help the chapters increase their numbers. I don't know if they were required to hold pref or give bids, and I don't know what came of it, but another example of PWIs misunderstanding of NPHC needs and methods.
That's insane. But after hearing the story about the Greek life advisor who was given a $$$ bonus if she placed every girl who went through rush (whether the chapters wanted them or not) I can believe anything.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I agree and just my opinion, but I don't think we should exist at schools that will not allow us to follow our own recruitment process. Obviously, they don't care or respect our organizations' needs and differences.
I agree.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I agree.
Double agree.

Especially since this receiving money from the school is new to me (Chapters actually get school funding??? What???), my somewhat elitist attitude in respect to the NPHC at HBCU's vs PWI is really starting to grow.

LOL

Ya'll really get money from the schools?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
Double agree.

Especially since this receiving money from the school is new to me (Chapters actually get school funding??? What???), my somewhat elitist attitude in respect to the NPHC at HBCU's vs PWI is really starting to grow.

LOL

Yes you can or at least at my PWI. Your org would be considered an RSO (registered STUDENT organization) therefore you are eligible for funding by requesting it from USG (undergraduate student government). The funds usg have come from the student activity fee that every university student pays yearly as part of their tuition. As long as the event you are hosting is open to all students, you can get funding.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Double agree.

LOL

I don't think this is true of all PWI's and it may actually be a recent thing at some schools. We damn sure didn't get any money from the school when I was in undergrad, although that was the early 90's.

As for PWI vs. HBCU, we (those at PWI's) used to get away with a hell of a lot more than our sisters and brothers at HBCU's because the greek office really wasn't all that interested in our activities (too busy focussing on the predominently white orgs); but of course now it's a different story (the only reason they're interested now is because of liability); however, I still think those at PWI's get away with more. I know an HBCU that requires the orgs to schedule their neo shows with the school or else they cannot go down.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 09-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some chapters do because some schools have a student organization/student activities budget. The money sometimes isn't a lot but it gets you started so you can do other fundraisers. Remember that Black alum don't donate their money but they donate their time. Undergrad chapters often need MONEY and have to settle for the time.

As for getting money from some schools, I'm sure the same can be said about some HBCUs (ya know, the HBCUs that aren't broke as hell and based out of big mama's kitchen).
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think this is true of all PWI's and it may actually be a recent thing at some schools. We damn sure didn't get any money from the school when I was in undergrad, although that was the early 90's.
It definitely isn't true for all PWIs. Then and now.

Quote:
As for PWI vs. HBCU, we (those at PWI's) used to get away with a hell of a lot more than our sisters and brothers at HBCU's because the greek office really wasn't all that interested in our activities (too busy focussing on the predominently white orgs); but of course now it's a different story (the only reason they're interested now is because of liability); however, I still think those at PWI's get away with more.
Ditto.