GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,453
4 members and 1,449 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 07-23-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Nuevo Jersey...all the time wishing that I was in Puerto Rico!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by lostnfound117
please tell me you are lying??!! what did the deltas say??
Lostnfound117...I wish it was a lie. She was asked to leave (she couldn't understand why they had a problem with the shirt).
Old 07-23-2003, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok...

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
Yes, good point. But, to further the 'flame', the White lady may not be aware of the issues of AA women because she did not grow up with that experience so she can not address the question. For example, I do have Choctaw Indian in my bloodline but I was not raised as an American Indian. So, while I can be sympathetic to what is happening to American Indians I can not 'feel' their issues because I was not raised that way.

I am not suggesting that because a non-Black is interested in our (NPHC) orgs we need to totally adjust our respective programs, but we may need to be more aware that they have an interest; and their background will be different from many of ours.

Maybe, for whatever reason, the White lady wants to become more aware and involved with the issues of AA women and Delta piqued her interest. Or maybe she just saw women who are out there trying to help other women. I've never really seen the type of women-support efforts among NPC orgs as there are among NPHC sororities.
Well, IMO, if you are interested in the organization, regardless of your background, I expect you to have done some research about the organization, her mission and focus. Second, although I may not understand the issues confronting other ethnic groups it does not mean I am unaware of some of them. Being White does not mean you cannot know issues confronting AA women, it may mean you do not understand them firsthand but it does not require you to be ignorant of them either. Those NPC women who frequent the NPHC boards on GC would have likely done a fine job of answering that question. because they have chosen to expose themselves to something new.

I cannot speak for other NPHC sororities, but Delta's focus is primarily uplifting and improving the AA community. Even my non-Black sorors know and understand this. The statement as it was reported here was definitely delivered in a way that would get a reaction. If she had just begun with "an issue facing women is..." I am sure the reaction would not have been as strong.

I guess I am of the opinion that people who have no understanding or no idea about the issues faced by others do not know because they choose not to learn, not because the information is not available. That is an explanation, not an excuse. It frustrates me when it is depicted as Black folks' job to educate others who choose not to know.

Last edited by Kimmie1913; 07-23-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Well.....

Quote:
Originally posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9
I posted the original thread about the white(I think she was half hispanic) interest. I didn't like the way she came off with her answer. It felt like she was pissed at the question. It was well known she was an interest on the yard. She was pissed that she didn't make it, she was hatin on my line trying to name drop and by being nosey ( she was my LS's roommate) and she transfered to A&T (a HBCU) after that semester...I didn't hear her say it myself but it was rumored that she said that she'd go to a Black school because they take all qualified applicants....NOT!! This may offend some people but I think you should KNOW YOUR ROLE and deal with it!!!!!!
If that was her attitude she will never get in, in any org!!! White, Black, Hispanic, Asian.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

My 4 friends and I went to a rush. At the time, my gpa was poor. As we entered, we were given applications. I didn't even bother to fill it out. As a matter of a fact, I snuck out and went home. The next time I saw my friends, they were coming out on the yard in red and white. It doesn't get any more embarrassing than that! I learned ya'll. 9 years later & my GPA is 3.8 cum.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brickhouse492
The next time I saw my friends, they were coming out on the yard in red and white. It doesn't get any more embarrassing than that! I learned ya'll. 9 years later & my GPA is 3.8 cum.
Its great to know that your determination did not stop you from reaching and exceeding your academic potential! Congrats!!

AKA
Old 07-25-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

the letter "k" must be hard...

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyBlue91
I was at an information session just after crossing. As an icebreaker, we asked all of the ladies to introduce themselves using their first name and an adjective starting with the same letter (e.g., elegant Elissa). One girl responded with "kinky K----." (I kid you not!) And no, she was not selected.

we played that game at an event during the week of my rush and this chick said "killa k---." tripped me out. and she ended up standing behind me and another girl who ended up being my #9 on our line. after we crossed, she told me that standing between the two of us must have been a sign for her. wth??

the first rush i went to, i didn't submit and i knew i wasn't going to so i wasn't as nervous as those who did submit. i was actually containing laughter when i would hear them introducing themselves. people who i know on a regular day would say "what the f___ is up m__f__? what the d___ deal? this your girl ___. HOLLA AT YO' GURL!!" stand up and say "good evening to everyone in attendance. it is my pleasure to introduce myself as ____ and i am very happy to be here."

at that rush, this girl came in with an apple green suit so eyebrows were already raised. one of the chapter sorors gave some history about the chapter and some of the community service events the chapter does. minutes later, ms. green suit stands and asks "i want to know what kind of service YOU guys do as a chapter." the soror at the podium said "hmm. someone wasn't listening."

the day of my rush, the sorors also hosted a park jam where all of the greeks stepped. it was at 12 NOON. well, that night at rush, this girl came, dressed in jeans and a hillfiger sweater, and was standing in front of me. she asks the girl in front of her "are you going to the park jam after this?" of course the girl was like "huh?" she said "yeah, it starts at midnight." i had to interject and let her know. and i was wondering to myself, who would have a step show in the park at midnight??

I Stay Woke!!
Old 07-25-2003, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: the letter "k" must be hard...

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet
the day of my rush, the sorors also hosted a park jam where all of the greeks stepped. it was at 12 NOON. well, that night at rush, this girl came, dressed in jeans and a hillfiger sweater, and was standing in front of me. she asks the girl in front of her "are you going to the park jam after this?" of course the girl was like "huh?" she said "yeah, it starts at midnight." i had to interject and let her know. and i was wondering to myself, who would have a step show in the park at midnight??
**CT4 runs in**

FREAKS COME OUT AT NIGHT!!

**CT4 runs right back out CTFU**
Old 07-25-2003, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: the letter "k" must be hard...

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet
She came to the rush dressed for the park jam? We can see which one was more important for her.... A park jam at midnight? That has got to be one of the best stroies so far! People are a trip!
Old 07-25-2003, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew this chick who asked what was the Twenty Pearls and what did it mean... The WHOLE room took a big gasp and all u could hear was no she didn't! ***still laughing about this one***
Old 07-25-2003, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

This one chick came into a rush. During the rush, her phone goes off. Instead of this chick turning it off, she decides to answer it AT her seat. (YOU KNOW SHE GOT THA LOOK) INSTEAD of her getting off the phone, she leaves while on the phone. :eeka: :eeka:

Needless to say, ONCE YOU LEAVE... THERE IS NO RE-ENTRY.

FFR (For Future References): Make sure your phone is off, on vibrate or summin. Tell your peeps don't contact you for one, two, three hours.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

A young lady attended XYZ's interest meeting. The young lady approached two members of XYZ and introduced herself. Instead of saying hello the two members were like "What is that? Is that dandruff in your head? XYZs do not have dandruff in their heads!" They said it loud enough for others to hear. Needless to say the young lady was humiliated.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Obviously NPHC and NPC have completely different rush practices but as an NPC member I can relate to a lot of the stuff on here! Take a look at "weird rush stories" http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=11313
Even if you feel like you can't relate, at least you'll get a good laugh!
Old 07-26-2003, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

For those(GDI's) who have a hard time with the letter "K"

Here is a suggestion(what I used, and is TOTALLY tue):
Kind

DO NOT SAY kinky, killer, etc. You'll look like an ass.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Uptown Baby. Uptown Baby. We get down baby. For the crown baby
My name begins with the letter K and you've got to give us K's some slack. I am not in any way endorsing Kinky, Killa, etc... but if you really think about it, there are not many adjectives that begin with K.

When they played this game at my rush, out of about 300 women, there was one other girl with a K name... She used Kind before me so I just used kindhearted.

Help us out... Any other good K words?
Old 07-28-2003, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spr99_Diva

Help us out... Any other good K words?
Kooky?? Kitschy?? I don't think too many people would know what kitschy meant. Someone correct my spelling if it's wrong.