GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,159
2 members and 1,157 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG

Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaChiCard View Post
You generally get reciprocity after 5 years of practice provided that your state provides reciprocity to the state that you are moving to. Most states provides reciprocity, although certain exclusions apply such as California and Florida (and possibly New York, but since it wasn't an issue for me [ie not 5 yrs in yet], I didn't bother investigating fully)
NY has reciprocity with some states - I'll be able to waive in in five years. DC does as well; I think you have to attend a 2-3 day class in DC, however.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaChiCard View Post
I jumped ship on engineering before taking the PE, although I'm not sure electricals always take them anyway
most don't from what i gather. i know a few who do. but they're foresnic guys.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
most don't from what i gather. i know a few who do. but they're foresnic guys.
I was going to say, a lot of the engineering experts we use are PEs.

I give a lot of credit to anyone who passed that exam - from what I've heard it's ridiculous, with low passage rates.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
I was going to say, a lot of the engineering experts we use are PEs.

I give a lot of credit to anyone who passed that exam - from what I've heard it's ridiculous, with low passage rates. .
most of the ones who serve as expert witnesses are PEs. i got the SE just to have some more muscles to flex. LOL.

civil and other discipline PE exams aren't too bad with pass rates of 60-80 percent pass rates.....but first SE exam has a pass rate of around 25-40 percent pass rate. the second one is around 50-60.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
most of the ones who serve as expert witnesses are PEs. i got the SE just to have some more muscles to flex. LOL.

civil and other discipline PE exams aren't too bad with pass rates of 60-80 percent pass rates.....but first SE exam has a pass rate of around 25-40 percent pass rate. the second one is around 50-60.
Maybe I'm thinking of the SE exam...people I've talked to were talking about the ridiculously low pass rates on one of the exams.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Congratulations!

And the RA (Registered Architect)! I'm filing in another state because I can get registered there easier than NY, and then filing reciprocity right away. I'll never practice in AZ!
Thanks! Glad to be done and I'll have admission in two states by the end of June. My attorney job starts as soon as I get sworn in, so that's exciting as well.

So for the RA license, you have instant reciprocity? That's a great perk.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks! Glad to be done and I'll have admission in two states by the end of June.
Well, that answers one question I had asked in a PM. Congrats!! You worked hard for it.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks! Glad to be done and I'll have admission in two states by the end of June. My attorney job starts as soon as I get sworn in, so that's exciting as well.

So for the RA license, you have instant reciprocity? That's a great perk.
I'll still have to wait the minimum number of years worked before NY grants the license; I started the registration process in another state so I could start taking the exams (there are 7 total) now, while I don't have a ton of other obligations. Once I'm done with them and get the license in AZ, I just have to cool my jets until NY accepts the results.

I see a lot of co-workers my age and older start the process, but then they have kids or get married or their parents get sick, and it derails them for a while. I figured it was easiest for me to knock them out while I can still do all-nighters.

A ton of engineers in my office have taken the SE 5 and 6 times.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Those of you with multistate licenses -- I took and passed the Oklahoma Bar in '09. I received an MBE score which qualifies me everywhere. If I wanted to get my license in Texas, isn't it true all I'd have to do would be sit for the Texas portion of the exam and the MBE?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Those of you with multistate licenses -- I took and passed the Oklahoma Bar in '09. I received an MBE score which qualifies me everywhere. If I wanted to get my license in Texas, isn't it true all I'd have to do would be sit for the Texas portion of the exam and the MBE?
How soon do you want/need the TX license? If you can wait a few years, you may be able to waive in without taking the exam, depending on the reciprocity requirements.

If you need it sooner, and your MBE score is high enough, then I think you are correct in that you can just take the TX essay portion. Not sure though - I know more about the process at this end of the country.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

4 years I think 'til reciprocity kicks in, but I think I still have to take some civil procedure classes. No big deal there. On this end of the country, where our states are much larger and less populated, being licensed in one state is generally good enough. It sometimes pays to pay dues to more than one state. I don't generally practice in the federal courts, but having my Western District of Oklahoma admission has already paid off once.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
And the RA (Registered Architect)! I'm filing in another state because I can get registered there easier than NY, and then filing reciprocity right away. I'll never practice in AZ!
As you mentioned you're an RA...I'm actually starting to study for the AREs now because my gf is an Architect and needs some help focusing and I'm pretty good at the vignettes so I figured I could help her out. I think they're kind of fun!

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace