GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,142
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: If eligible, will you get the vaccine?
Yes 17 41.46%
No 12 29.27%
Not sure, need to do more research 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dstpm View Post
If I had a daughter, I would not get the shot for her simply and only because at this point, the long-term effects have not been seen. There just isn't enough info out there to reassure me. I think the vaccine is a good thing, but I'm always wary when new drugs, vaccines, etc hit the scene, especially ones targeted towards women. Remember Depo-Provera and Norplant? These drugs were pushed so heavily and so many women (me included with Depo) jumped on the bandwagon. It wasn't until years later that people learned what the long term effects were and there were some really bad ones.

You are so right soror. I jumped on the Norplant ban wagon and gained soo much weight that I am still trying to get back to normal. When I went to take the dang things out the the moved out of the places they were suppose to be in. I had to go back 3 times for them to dig in my arm to get them out. So, I'm with you I need to see more info and about 10 years of trials before I inject myself or anyone else with anything.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump!

I'm considering getting this vaccine now because I am 25 and my insurance will cover it completely, but only if I get the first shot before I turn 26. Just wondering if people who did try it had any negative side effects or experiences.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I had it not long after it first came out- I believe I was 17. I don't react badly to vaccines- I've never had a negative reaction to any vaccine. This one was a little painful as it went in, but I was just fine. It makes me feel a bit better to know that I'll be sort of protected against one kind of cancer.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 12-01-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I had it a few years back (there's another thread in chit-chat somewhere with some interesting back and forth). My arm was sore at the injection spot, but that happens with any shot or needle going into your arm. After one of the three injections, I got a little lightheaded, but that was also more likely due to a minor procedure that I had done immediately beforehand.

I personally have not known anyone that has had any real side effects from it.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
I had it a few years back (there's another thread in chit-chat somewhere with some interesting back and forth). My arm was sore at the injection spot, but that happens with any shot or needle going into your arm. After one of the three injections, I got a little lightheaded, but that was also more likely due to a minor procedure that I had done immediately beforehand.

I personally have not known anyone that has had any real side effects from it.
Apparently that's really common when getting shots, especially multiple. I wish I would have known that.

I got 4 shots right before college, and the nurse did not tell me to sit down for like 15 minutes after. I fainted on my way out of the office, lol. My mom caught me though. I laid down for like a half hour and I was fine after.

//hijack
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I fainted about ten minutes after each shot, which is a fairly common side effect. Most physicians will keep women in the office for ~15 minutes after each shot.

In my opinion, it is one of the more painful painful vaccinations, but maybe that's just me.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
i'm getting my 3rd shot on friday. i had no side effects other than soreness in my arm for the first one.