GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,268
2 members and 1,266 guests
JayhawkAOII, John

Old 07-17-2006, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck!

Good luck studying for the MCATs, I know what you're going through, as I am in medical school now. I wish I had some good advice, but if I were to take them over again, I would invest in a professional course...expensive, but I think it would have helped me stay focused. I guess I did well enough without them though, and saved some money!

I suppose I should introduce myself, as I am also new. As I said I am currently a medical student in Maryland. I joined Theta in 2001, and boy do I miss those college days-sometimes. I'm currently in Los Angeles doing a summer program on aging, and it's been really great out here! I dread going back to the humidity of the east coast....
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to undtheta2000
Welcome blackngoldengrl! It's wonderful to see all of you newbies to the site!!
Well, work is interesting. Background: I am Methodist, and in our conference (Dakotas- ND and SD) we have a program called Sidewalk Sonday School. The conference has several trailers that are taken around to various cities/ towns across the 2 states and provide basically a program like Sunday School or Vacation Bible school, but it is an outreach program to kids/ families who may by unchurched. Anyway, we had the trailer in my city for 2 or 3 years, then the 2 Methodist churches here took it over (so the trailer could go other places.) We have 1 family who has come for a couple of years, and when a congregation member took Christmas presents to them in December, the mother requested a visit by the pastor (my dad). Well, they don't have a car and she wanted her girls to start going to church so a couple families have been giving them rides to church and Sun School this spring.
Anyway, I wanted to try and get the girls to church camp this summer, so finally met with them last Monday and got registration forms filled out. 1 is at camp this week, the other 2 are registered, but not sure if they will be able to go because they need transportation. With the cost of gas these days, I'm not so sure anyone will want to take a whole day to drive the 2 girls to the site in SD where the camp is, then someone has to take another day to pick them up. I can't do it- I'll be out of town both days. Actually, I'll be at the ND campsite helping witha camp, so...
But I got a phone call at work yesterday from a lady who informed me that the girl who is at camp this week is supposed to appear in court today, for whatever reason. OOPS! Well, I didn't know. She wanted to know if something over the phone could be arranged, so I gave her the number for the camp and the name of the Asst. Director- a friend of mine. I hung up and literally 1 minute later (maybe 2) the mother calls, and starts saying she completely forgot about the court thing because she was so excited her girl got to go to camp...she told me she was thinking she was a bad mother and would go to jail. No, not likely. Anyway, hopefully things will get worked out! Interesting time at work when you are in the ministry (even though I'm not a pastor or anywhere close to it!)
Those are my thoughts for the day. Wow!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Well this has been a bad week on my floor at the hospital. First off on Sunday night I swear we had a couple of looney toon patients. One liked her morphine a bit too much so we got that order cancelled and put her on another kind of pain mgt. drug. The other one was a highly confused 93 year old lady......who later became mildly combative. I decided to put oxygen on her because a lot of time when people's oxygen saturation drops below a certain point they start to become very restless and confused (before they turn blue if you will). That helped and fixed the problem then she became the sweet lil old lady she was last week. However now her oxygen has to stay on all the time or her oxygen drops and the mean-ness comes back. Obviously there is more to this story as well but I'll stop for now. Well then Yesterday morning one of my patients died at shift change......in front of me.....It was my first patient that I've lost and combined that I was there when he died. I saw him die...and eventhough he was on his way out of this world, we werent expecting him to pass so quickly.....the cancer had just eaten him up inside and there jsut wasnt much left. But I'm still upset about that. It's not something you get used to seeing and you shouldnt get used to seeing people die. Then early this morning the computer system we use to chart on our patients went down from 1am to 5am so that made things extremely stressful........combined with two more ladies that I swear were nuttier than a fruitcake...........I'm so glad this week is over and I'm off to applebee's for happy hour!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24
Well this has been a bad week on my floor at the hospital. First off on Sunday night I swear we had a couple of looney toon patients. One liked her morphine a bit too much so we got that order cancelled and put her on another kind of pain mgt. drug. The other one was a highly confused 93 year old lady......who later became mildly combative. I decided to put oxygen on her because a lot of time when people's oxygen saturation drops below a certain point they start to become very restless and confused (before they turn blue if you will). That helped and fixed the problem then she became the sweet lil old lady she was last week. However now her oxygen has to stay on all the time or her oxygen drops and the mean-ness comes back. Obviously there is more to this story as well but I'll stop for now. Well then Yesterday morning one of my patients died at shift change......in front of me.....It was my first patient that I've lost and combined that I was there when he died. I saw him die...and eventhough he was on his way out of this world, we werent expecting him to pass so quickly.....the cancer had just eaten him up inside and there jsut wasnt much left. But I'm still upset about that. It's not something you get used to seeing and you shouldnt get used to seeing people die. Then early this morning the computer system we use to chart on our patients went down from 1am to 5am so that made things extremely stressful........combined with two more ladies that I swear were nuttier than a fruitcake...........I'm so glad this week is over and I'm off to applebee's for happy hour!
Girl, sounds like your little old lady has thrown a clot. Had two cases like that in the last couple of months. Both had thrown clots. Had one situation where I thought the lady had thrown a clot, but by the time we got to the hospital with her, I changed my mind. The oxygen didn't bring her around like the others. She presented the same way as the others, but it turned out being a bleed stroke.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldengrl
Good luck studying for the MCATs, I know what you're going through, as I am in medical school now. I wish I had some good advice, but if I were to take them over again, I would invest in a professional course...expensive, but I think it would have helped me stay focused. I guess I did well enough without them though, and saved some money!

I suppose I should introduce myself, as I am also new. As I said I am currently a medical student in Maryland. I joined Theta in 2001, and boy do I miss those college days-sometimes. I'm currently in Los Angeles doing a summer program on aging, and it's been really great out here! I dread going back to the humidity of the east coast....

Thanks! I have been studying for awhile now. I have done so much already and with the test only being about a month away, I doubt there's much more I can invest in this. I've just got to keep my head on straight and stay focused! Haha. So much to ask...
Old 07-22-2006, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undtheta2000
Welcome to the site, DominoTheta! You mentioned your sister will be at U of Texas- Dallas in the fall. Is that where you attended as well?
Good luck on your MCATs!
~undtheta2000

Actually, no. I have never even seen the campus! Haha. I graduated from the University of Southern Miss in 2004. I'm not real sure how my sister got interested in UT-Dallas considering we are from a small town in MS, but she's visited it a couple of times over the last school year and loved it more everytime she visited it. I am VERY exited for her. It seems like a great school. It sounds even better having Theta on campus!

Hopefully this August goes very well for everyone!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

New news to report

I became an aunt today again! My biological sister gave birth to her first child today, a healthy baby boy. She is naming him Jaxson Franklin and will be calling him Jax. He is 7 pounds, 3 ounces, and 20 inches long with los of black hair on his head He is a beauty!!!

Also, sadly my nursing externship ended last week with a suprise party given for me by my fellow night shift staff There was pizza, chips and salsa, chocolate cake, and homemade banana ice cream The security guy also gave me two rides on his golf cart The nursing director on the floor liked the job i did so well that she offered me a job there to stay on as a patient care tech (the new politically correct term for a nurse's aide) working flex so I get to pick my schedule and easily work around my nursing school schedule. SO I'm quite excited about that and I start that job on Monday!

I also received the copy of We Who Wear Kites Volume II today that I ordered so I'll be reading that this weekend!! As an extra bonus with that book, I also was sent some Houston Alumnae chapter old year book/directories and a few newspaper article cut outs as well. I dont realy want those or know what to do with them so I'm going to email our archives person and ask her if HQ would like to have them or something.

Update! I did email our archives person (I want to keep her name anonymous on this site) and she said that they would be thrilled to have these items and hope they will bridge some gaps in our alumnae archives. Her enthusiasm has me quite excited about sending these items to out fraternity archives!!!

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 08-12-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

I know you are VERY exited right now! You've had an incredible week! I just want to send my most sincere congradulations your way and TONS of Theta love!

~<>~Insert "Rock-a-bye" here~<>~

ETA: I know it was a boy, I just needed an excuse to sing it again. Hehe. Love you all.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I've posted this before, but this is the version of Rock-A-Bye that I sang to my son, in honor of your nephew!:

Rock-A-Bye, rock-a-bye my baby
Dream sweet dreams, dreams that someday maybe
You will _date_ a Theta too
Who wears the Black and Gold

Don't you cry, there is no reason
Theta _girls_, they're the ones in season
Kappas sigh and Pi Phis cry
'Cause they don't wear the kite

Rock-a-bye, bye, bye
Theta's kite flies high

Rock-a-bye rock-a-bye my baby
You will sing this when you're old
Building little wagons out of black and gold
Rock-a-bye, bye, bye. . .
Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerz222
I think I've posted this before, but this is the version of Rock-A-Bye that I sang to my son, in honor of your nephew!:

Rock-A-Bye, rock-a-bye my baby
You will _date_ a Theta too
Who wears the Black and Gold

Don't you cry, there is no reason
Theta _girls_, they're the ones in season
Kappas sigh and Pi Phis cry
'Cause they don't wear the kite

Rock-a-bye, bye, bye
Theta's kite flies high

Rock-a-bye rock-a-bye my baby
You will sing this when you're old
Building little wagons out of black and gold
Rock-a-bye, bye, bye. . .

Beautifully done! There I was realizing I needed to edit my post because it was impossible for the first part to come true. "Dream sweet dreams, dreams that someday maybe, you will be a Theta, too..."

---Well, an update on my end. I talked to my mother today. It seems that my sister has decided against UT-Dallas. She applied to Ole Miss as a back-up months ago and made sure she was registered for everything in case she pulled out of UT-Dallas at the last minute. My mother says that she decided to stay closer to home because my dad is in very bad health right now. None of us know if he will make it through the end of the year. Honestly, we did'nt really expect him to make it this long. She wants to be close just in case. I told her that I TOTALLY support her and she will do just fine at Ole Miss. I can totally understand not wanting to be too far away. I, myself, am a good distance from home, but at least its not a matter of a plane ride. Now, as far as recruitment goes, she registered for Ole Miss recruitment in late June when she thought there was a possibility she wouldn't go to Dallas. I am HOPING she has recs taken care of. We didn't talk much about recruitment other than she had registered a couple of months ago. Recruitment there should be in late October if I'm not mistaken.---

That's all from my end. I hope you lovely ladies are having an amazing weekend!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank all of you ladies for the well wishes!

My sister and her baby are doing fine....however my sister is still trying to grasp the concept that my husband and I do have a family, jobs, and responsibilities of our own and simply cannot abandon them to come to her aide constantly, nor has she grasped the concept that while we would be happy to babysit sometimes, we WILL NOT babysit all of the time. She's having a rude awakening that when a baby comes you no longer are able to go out and do everything that you once did (parties). I'm not too worried about it though. Things will work out because they have to.

I'm enjoying my new job as a PCT, however I feel demoted somewhat. I get paid the same, but I know how to do so many things and I'm so used to doing them, but I'm extremely limited on what I can do as a PCT
Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DominoTheta: She applied to Ole Miss as a back-up months ago and made sure she was registered for everything in case she pulled out of UT-Dallas at the last minute. .... I told her that I TOTALLY support her and she will do just fine at Ole Miss.
Well, you just remember that you have an Ole Miss Theta alum right here on the board I pledged in the very first pledge class after the charter class, back in 1979. We were the only girls on campus without a house those first few years. I think Theta is one of the largest groups at Ole Miss now, and of COURSE the very very best, in my totally biased opinion! It was a wonderful experience and really helped make me the person that I am proud to be now.

She certainly did choose two schools at the very polar OPPOSITE ends of the spectrum, didn't she?

Last edited by thetalady; 08-19-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady
Well, you just remember that you have an Ole Miss Theta alum right here on the board I pledged in the very first pledge class after the charter class, back in 1979. We were the only girls on campus without a house those first few years. I think Theta is one of the largest groups at Ole Miss now, and of COURSE the very very best, in my totally biased opinion! It was a wonderful experience and really helped make me the person that I am proud to be now.

She certainly did choose two schools at the very polar OPPOSITE ends of the spectrum, didn't she?

Sorry for the late response. I've been working for the last 5 days straight and I have not had very much personal time! Haha. Yes, actually, I believe so. At least as far as recruitment goes. When I was applying to college I applied to three mainly because I knew where I wanted to be, but wanted open options. My sister, however, was only interested in these two. She LOVED Dallas, but had to prioritize. I can totally respect that. I'm sure Dallas is beautiful, but I am happy she's staying close. I, too, owe so much to Theta. I went through a lot in high school. To me, college was my break. I loved school, I loved being active, and I loved my friends. I lost a lot, but Theta gave me so much to fill those gaps. I have always thought the smartest decision I ever made was signing my bid card. Six years later, I cannot imagine life without Theta.

One thing I stand strongly beside. No matter where a girl pledges she will get so much out of it. That is solely based on "what you put into it is what you will get out of it." I love Theta and am completely biased, but if my sister pledges any of the other 8 houses there, she will be happy. I think of it this way. We go through recruitment in groups, but we are by ourselves. Throughout the week, we make so many friends. We go to the parties and we fall in love with certain houses or A certain house. At the end of the week, we have our home and look around to see the other girls that we thought were so amazing and they have found their homes. Shortly after graduation, my best friend from childhood was killed in a car accident. All of my sisters stood by my side. My aunt died a couple of days later, and my sisters were still there. Through all the things I have been through in the last six years, Theta has always been there. I know that wherever my sister may go, her sisters and mine (or ours) will be there if that dreaded day comes. Not to mention all the excitement and the good times, of course.

Well, I must get to bed. I hope you ladies have all had another great weekend and have an amazing week!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

This weekend I went through an impossibly hard break up...the kind that feels like it's taking over my whole life. Today, work is the last place in the world that I want to be and I can tell already that this week is going to feel long...
Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry ThetaDancer

I know it doenst feel like it now and it wont for quite sometime, but this too shall pass.

My last break up before meeting my husband was terrible.....i lost a lot of weight (too much really being that i"m 4'9 and at the time prior to the breakup I weighed 105 pounds), spent most of my nights crying rather than sleeping, and for the msot part didnt leave my house for a month except for school.

It jsut takes time. I didnt think i'd find anyone else honestly and even began making plans for a travel nursing career and adopting a child of my own convinced I'd never get married and would miss out on motherhood. Then a year and a few months later I met my husband. Two weeks later we became a couple and the rest is history. I was even more blessed because he has three children that I now have as my step children (though I love them like I gave birth to them).

Just hang in there. I know what I'm saying sounds like a bunch of crap and blowing smoke but the pain will pass. .....