GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,045
0 members and 1,045 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2001, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvsong1913:
Okay, folks, I finally got my copy of the Alicia Keys CD this past weekend and all I can say is that I'm very disappointed. I am just not feeling it. I listened to the CD one time straight through and did not like it. I listened to it a second time and was ready to give it back to the person who gave it to me (they didn't like it either). After one more try, I found that I did like one song on there ("Mr. Man") along with the intro and the "Never Felt This Way" interlude, but I still don't really think her CD is anywhere near off the heezzy fo' sheezzy. I think Alicia still has a lot of maturing to do both in her writing and vocally in order for her true talent to really shine through. Now, yeah I like the fact that Alicia did something unique and mixed classical with what some might call R&B, but her style still leaves much to be desired. The girl definitely has skills, though...I just think she could do more with them. I guess I'm just really disappointed b/c I heard so much good stuff about her CD only to find that it's not that great. Hopefully her next CD (if there is one) will be a lot better.
luvsong1913:

I thought I was the only one out there who felt disappointed with the CD. "Fallin" is the bomb, and I like maybe 2 or 3 other songs, but outside of that, the CD just didn't live up to my expectations. The person I borrowed it from felt the same way. It's a good thing I listened to his copy, because before that I was all set to run out and buy my own. Maybe everyone is right, it just has to grow on me. But maybe I will just settle for the "Fallin" single for now.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:56 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTAQTE:
Ok let me be the devils advocate here.

I read someone said that white people are diggin her too. Do you think it's more because of her talent or it has something to do with that she's light skinned and pretty? Yeah Erykah is a bit earthy now and Jill Scott is just plain the bomb, but do they fit into white society's perception of beauty? The same could be argued for Beyonce.

I haven't bought the CD yet, but I do know that if I hear Fallen one more gin, I'ma pop! I do like the song girlfriend very much tho.

QTE
if you visit erykah's site and look at the picture fan quilt you will see that there is a sizeable white fan base...i think that non-blacks are diggin alicia because alicia is a true artist and whether you are black, white, asian, hispanic, or whatever you know good music when you hear it...and i hope that as a black consumer you don't just buy "black music" because you would be playing into the very stereotype affixed to "us"...the same applies to jill...good music is good music...period...absent of color...i think that destiny's child draws in the teen and young adult audiences more so than older folks...teen and young adult audiences tend to be more tolerable of other races anyway and don't generally view life through a black and white filter...so i don't think their acceptance has to do with skin color...but the wide appeal of their music to that age group...

[This message has been edited by celestial_blues (edited August 12, 2001).]
Old 10-20-2001, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up WOMAN'S WORTH VIDEO

I just saw it on 106 & Park's re-run of the WORLD PREMIERE of Alicia's video "A Woman's Worth" and I really enjoyed it.

It is a continuation of FALLIN and has a message in it too.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Her remake of Stephanie Mill's "how come you don't call me anymore " is so tight! I 'm listening to it right now!
Old 05-05-2002, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by thesweetestone
Her remake of Stephanie Mill's "how come you don't call me anymore " is so tight! I 'm listening to it right now!
You mean PRINCE's song.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah both of them must have done it. when I downloaded the song from Audiogalaxy I saw both of their versions too. When I first heard the remake my first thought was of Prince, but I also remember hearing a woman's voice singing it in my mind. Althought I couldn't remember who it was. I downloaded Stephanie's version too it. I liked it too.