Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,437
2 members and 1,435 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

When I've been asked if I have any questions at the end of the interview, I usually ask, "If I were hired for this role, what would be the first task you would want me to accomplish?"

Sometimes the interviewer talks a lot about the role itself and the actual tasks involved. In that case, I might say something to the effect of, "You've explained a lot about the role and I feel confident that my skills and experience would be a good fit for the task. Since we spend so much of our time at the office, can you tell me a little bit about the office culture here at XYZ Company? How would you describe the office 'personality'?"

Of course, I kind of have to go with what CarolinaDG said earlier. If the interviewer(s) cover everything you could have possibly asked, then I would just go ahead, be honest, and say something like what CarolinaDG suggested: "Wow, I had all of these questions about the company and you guys did such a thorough job, you answered them all! Thank you so much for anticipating my questions!"

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-18-2006, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

How do you answer the "What are one of your weaknesses?" question? I always want to try to put a positive spin on it but feel like I don't quite accomplish that.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I absolutely hate hypothetical questions.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
How do you answer the "What are one of your weaknesses?" question? I always want to try to put a positive spin on it but feel like I don't quite accomplish that.
From an interviewer's point of view, this is just a bad question. But, unfortunately, it still is being asked.. alot. So.. here are a few suggestions.

A good strategy is to present yourself as someone who is constantly taking steps to improve. Find something that you truly are weak at, but is not required for the job-- for example-- public speaking. If this is something that you know you wouldn't need to do in the job, you could say, "I get nervous talking in front of crowds, but I'm taking a Dale Carnegie Course to help me learn to feel more comfortable."

Another idea... again if you know this isn't something you would need to do, "I'm not good with spreadsheets," but then you can tell them how you weren't good at another program, but you worked hard to learn it, and now are good at it.

It's probably not good to say, "I'm a work-a-holic" or "I'm a perfectionist".. that's the stock answer, and the person interviewing you has heard that answer a million times and probably won't believe you.

Remember, overcoming a weakness is considered a strength.. so think about what your real weaknesses are or were, and explain what steps you have taken or are taking to overcome them.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I am in HR and I conduct trainings for our managers who conduct the second and third round interviews. A good rule of thumb that I always tell them is be prepaired to answer any question that they ask a candidate. For example: if you ask "why do you want to work here?" be prepaired for the candidate to ask "why do you work here?".

So if at the end of the interview you don't have any questions, turn around some of the questions that they have asked you. Such as:

Why did you chose to work here?
What attracted you to here?
What would you consider the biggest positive about this company?
What one thing would you change about this company?

Asking questions always shows interest (at least that's how I enterpret it when I am doing a screening interview). And if I am not impressed, you don't move on to round 2.

As for thank you notes, either e-mail or written is fine with me, just keep it professional. And while it might not make or break if you get the job, it does serve as a reminder that you are still out there- we sometimes get busy and resumes get shuffled to the bottom of the in-box or e-mail box!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Always ask about the culture, and ask every person that you meet.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
So I interviewed for an internal position on Friday and plan on sending thank yous to the Executive VP and three assistant VP's that I interviewed with that day. Do you think it's okay to internal mail them? I don't want to seem cheap, but at the same time I worry that if I mail them externally by the time that they receive them the decision will have already been made.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I think internal mail would be fine. Depending on the size of your company, you could always hand deliver them as well.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God