GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,353
1 members and 1,352 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2004, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Who saw last night's episode? Who thinks that JJ and the nurse might have a fling? What about Beth and Cal? These next few weeks will be very interesting!
I think they might start something and either she'll get pregnant or else she's what "hits close to home" and die, they said something like that in the previews last night for next week.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmmmm so it looks like both JJ and Beth are going to be cheating on each other in next week's episode....well, they're not technically cheating, I guess...
I at first thought that would end up happening with the nurse and all, but then it didnt seem like it after she knew of Beth being pregnant and such. So who knows, the previews sometimes can be deceiving. I wouldnt have ever expected that guy to be the one to pull a guy on them last night.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
If they broke up, how is it cheating?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
If they broke up, how is it cheating?
It's "cheating" to the viewers who are Beth/JJ shippers!!!!!!! In any case, WATCH THE SHOW!!! The ratings are apparently slipping!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Last night's show was one of the greatest moments in television history...until that five minute infomercial from Ford cheapened the entire thing.

I was sitting on the couch with MisterMadly and said "If there's a green Mustang in this commercial, I'm going to puke." Sure enough, there was a green Mustang, and it was owned by the father who had served in Vietnam.

Oy.

Despite that, I was crying like a big 'ol baby by the end of the show, and so was MisterMadly. Oh, and in entertainment news, AD made Entertainment Weekly's "The Must List" for the week of 11/26. They said:

With a timely story line of a family dealing with an MIA son, NBC's once sappy fam-dram is now one of TV's most compelling hours.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Last night's show was one of the greatest moments in television history...until that five minute infomercial from Ford cheapened the entire thing.

I was sitting on the couch with MisterMadly and said "If there's a green Mustang in this commercial, I'm going to puke." Sure enough, there was a green Mustang, and it was owned by the father who had served in Vietnam.
Ford bought all the commercial airtime for the episode... if you look closely, there are subtle product placements throughout the show. Limited commercial interruptions, my ass!

'66 Ford Mustang commercial playing on the TVs at Pryor's TV and Radio.

Another Ford billboard on the Philadelphia city bus.

And that bitchin' '66 Mustang ragtop in the garage. (Topped off by the '69 Mach 1 in the hokey informercial.)

I cringed over the digital resurrection of the late Steve McQueen in the latest '05 Mustang commercial. Betcher ass they'll come out with a special 'Bullitt' edition before long, even though they already did once with the SN95 Mustang a couple of years ago.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 11-22-2004, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I caught those, AlphaSigOU, but while they weren't subtle, they were kind of easy to ignore (except for the big-freaking Mustang ad on the side of the bus Meg caught to leave the recruiting station). This show has gone over the top with the product placements this season: first Campbell's Tomato Soup and now this! This was one of the most powerful episodes in the show's history, and though I know you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, it just seemed like an egregious amount of tie-ins.

If they came out with a Bullitt version of the new 'Stang, I might be forced to buy one. That was one hot car...

But back to the show: Nathan is my new hero. I was so glad that he stood up to that patient's son. Every time that patient called him 'boy', I was thinking "You got about one more chance to call him 'boy' before he goes off on your behind.'
Old 11-22-2004, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Question: before the opening credits, a news crew was talking to a guy who said that he bought an alarm clock for himself, and that he was in a hurry because his boss was always firing people. Was that just a random Apprentice joke, or was the guy a contestant on the show who was given a mini-part on AD? (I don't really watch The Apprentice)
Old 11-22-2004, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Question: before the opening credits, a news crew was talking to a guy who said that he bought an alarm clock for himself, and that he was in a hurry because his boss was always firing people. Was that just a random Apprentice joke, or was the guy a contestant on the show who was given a mini-part on AD? (I don't really watch The Apprentice)
I wouldn't be surprised if it was...

Old 11-22-2004, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I was boo hoooing like a baby during the show. I haven't seen the show once but I'm a sucker for Christmas episodes in general and then when I knew he was going to come home I was hooked into watching it. Without knowing who these people are I thought the show was excellent. I loved it.

Though, I didn't make the connection between the show and the commercial at the end. I'm a moron for not figuring out the dad was the Vietnam kid in the show all grown up welcoming home his son. The product placements didn't bother me so much. I was too engrossed with the storyline and the pretty hair styles and stuff.

It was a great episode.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aabby757
I was boo hoooing like a baby during the show. I haven't seen the show once but I'm a sucker for Christmas episodes in general and then when I knew he was going to come home I was hooked into watching it. Without knowing who these people are I thought the show was excellent. I loved it.

Though, I didn't make the connection between the show and the commercial at the end. I'm a moron for not figuring out the dad was the Vietnam kid in the show all grown up welcoming home his son. The product placements didn't bother me so much. I was too engrossed with the storyline and the pretty hair styles and stuff.

It was a great episode.
The dad in the commercial isn't JJ all grown up. JJ's last name is Pryor. The Marine in the commercial had "Weber" name tag on his uniform.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The dad in the commercial isn't JJ all grown up. JJ's last name is Pryor. The Marine in the commercial had "Weber" name tag on his uniform.
And a subtle name tape change: it reads "MARINES" instead of "U.S. MARINES", though the cammies are the new 'digital' pattern.

Yes, Marines are quite hard-nosed about their image, and have a PR machine that's second to none!

Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The guy at the beginning of the show that said that his boss was firing someone every week is indeed a former Apprentice contestant. It was Nick from last season.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

They have been doing a lot of product endorsements this season, but I dont mind seeing them if that means no commercial interruptions during the show.

My question: Was this show suppose to be uninterrupted when they first made it? I noticed breaks in it, where I guess normally a commercial would have been.. ya know like when you watch a friends season on dvd.. there are no commercials, but breaks where they would have been.

Anyways.. I really liked the episode last week.. I was just surprised how early they brought him back from vietnam on the show since that was such a big part of the storyline lately. Though I do hate it when shows drag certain storylines on too long.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by angelic1
They have been doing a lot of product endorsements this season, but I dont mind seeing them if that means no commercial interruptions during the show.

My question: Was this show suppose to be uninterrupted when they first made it? I noticed breaks in it, where I guess normally a commercial would have been.. ya know like when you watch a friends season on dvd.. there are no commercials, but breaks where they would have been.

Anyways.. I really liked the episode last week.. I was just surprised how early they brought him back from vietnam on the show since that was such a big part of the storyline lately. Though I do hate it when shows drag certain storylines on too long.
I have a feeling that the show isn't going to be renewed after this year, so they need to have him home, address the PTSD AND have him marry Beth.